|By Business Wire||
|May 14, 2014 03:03 AM EDT||
Market research firm Infonetics Research released excerpts from its new M2M Strategies: Global Service Provider Survey, which provides insights into the machine-to-machine (M2M) market – also referred to as the Internet of Things (IoT) – through the eyes of service providers providing or planning to offer M2M services.
“Service provider focus and prioritization of the M2M segment has been a relatively recent phenomenon, but as our latest M2M service provider survey shows, M2M is now scaling to be a significant business for a good number of providers around the world,” notes Godfrey Chua, directing analyst for M2M and The Internet of Things at Infonetics Research.
Continues Chua: “The leading tier of M2M players have committed meaningful resources to developing their M2M businesses and now have significant scale to show for it — between 2 million to just under 10 million M2M connections. They have strategies in place and have created standalone M2M business units comprised of overlay go-to-market and technical organizations. M2M is no longer just an extension of the enterprise business unit for these
SELECT M2M STRATEGY SURVEY HIGHLIGHTS
- Over half of the service providers participating in Infonetics’ survey have sizeable M2M businesses (i.e., providing at least 1 million M2M connections to customers)
- The automotive/transport/logistics and utility segments together account for nearly half of all M2M connections
- M2M is still predominately 2G: LTE remains nascent, making up only 1% of total devices; however, both 2G and LTE are expected to be the fastest-growing M2M access technologies in the near term
- National coverage tops the list of M2M solution features rated very important by respondents, followed by web-based management tools and service-level agreements (SLAs)
- For many service providers entering the M2M space, a service platform is key to jump-starting an M2M business: Those surveyed most often named Jasper Wireless and Ericsson as the top M2M platform providers
- Meanwhile, 55% of respondents are using internally-developed M2M service platforms
M2M / INTERNET OF THINGS WEBINAR
Join analyst Godfrey Chua Tuesday, MAY 20 for a free webinar, The Role of Service Delivery Platforms in M2M and IoT, examining how SDPs enable innovative M2M applications. Learn more at http://w.on24.com/r.htm?e=784573&s=1&k=C2AB100CE6CFF27D960122D6B7595AF5.
M2M SURVEY SYNOPSIS
For its 26-page M2M strategies survey, Infonetics interviewed 20 M2M service providers from around the globe that together represent over one-fourth of total worldwide service provider revenue and capital expenditures. The study looks at M2M services offered (connectivity/communications, installation/provisioning, data reporting, etc.); connections; access technologies (GSM/GPRS, HSPA/HSPA+, CDMA/EVDO, fiber, LTE, etc.); service features (coverage, management tools, SLAs, pricing, support); devices (connected cameras, meters, kiosks, point of sale terminals, etc.); service revenue (by region and vertical); and service providers’ opinions of service delivery platform (SDP) and application enablement platform (AEP) vendors. To buy the M2M report, contact Infonetics: http://www.infonetics.com/contact.asp.
RELATED REPORT EXCERPTS
- As businesses turn to the Internet of Things for growth, M2M WAN connections set to triple
- Enterprises look to M2M services to get a leg up on competition
- Vendor consolidation continues in mobile M2M module market
- M2M services forecast to hit $31 billion, M2M connections to top 4 billion by 2017
- APIs playing key role in service delivery platform and M2M markets
RECENT AND UPCOMING RESEARCH
- M2M Connections & Services by Vertical Market Size & Forecasts (Apr.)
- Mobile M2M Modules Market Size & Forecasts (Apr.)
- Worldwide M2M Service Provider Leadership Analysis (May)
- Home Automation & Connected Home Strategies: Global Service Provider Survey (May)
- The Role of Service Delivery Platforms in M2M and IoT (May 20: Attend)
- Unlocking Revenues with Carrier Ethernet 2.0 Wholesale E-Access (May 29: Attend)
- How to Get the Best Out of DAS, LTE, Small Cells, and WiFi (June 5: Attend)
- Diameter Signaling Control for LTE Networks (June 12: Attend)
- How Connected Cars Drive Revenue for M2M Service Providers (Sponsor)
- The Role of Policy and Charging in M2M (Sponsor)
- Reinventing the Economics of Healthcare with M2M (Sponsor)
TO BUY REPORTS, CONTACT:
N. America (West), Asia Pacific: Larry Howard, [email protected], +1-408-583-3335
N. America (East, Midwest), L. America: Scott Coyne, [email protected], +1-408-583-3395
EMEA, India, Singapore: George Stojsavljevic, [email protected], +44-755-488-1623
Japan, South Korea, China, Taiwan: http://www.infonetics.com/contact.asp
Infonetics Research (www.infonetics.com) is an international market research and consulting firm serving the communications industry since 1990. A leader in defining and tracking emerging and established technologies in all world regions, Infonetics helps clients plan, strategize, and compete effectively. View Infonetics’ About Us slides at http://bit.ly/QUrbrV.