|By Business Wire||
|May 20, 2014 08:31 AM EDT||
The worldwide continuous-feed, digital production print market is experiencing significant opportunity thanks to a major technology shift. According to new research from International Data Corporation (IDC), the much anticipated shift from electrophotography (EP) to high-speed inkjet (HSIJ) came to fruition in 2013, and will continue through the 2014-2018 forecast period. Placements of both monochrome and color EP equipment declined in the past year, while HSIJ installations continue on their growth path. IDC expect HSIJ to reach $1 billion in equipment sales by 2018 with a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 10.8%.
By technology segment, IDC research finds the following worldwide engine unit placement changes from 2012 to 2013.
|Technology||2012-13 Placement Change|
Source: IDC Worldwide and U.S. Continuous Feed 2014–2018 Forecast and Analysis
Not only was HSIJ the only growth technology segment in the continuous feed production print market, but for the closely watched high-volume segments of 150+ ipm monochrome and HSIJ, HSIJ became the overall market share leader, achieving 54% of the placements. While the cross over in placements occurred in 2013, HSIJ will grow to 75% of placements by 2018. HSIJ providers have appropriately focused on the high-volume segments of the continuous feed market where print volumes and corresponding supplies and service revenue are significant.
"A dramatic technology shift occurred in 2013 as high-speed inkjet maintained its momentum, while incumbent technologies declined," said Andrew Gordon, research director, Production Output Solutions. "There will continue to be opportunity for color laser, which will hold a quality advantage for a while. However, high-speed inkjet vendors will make great strides toward improving print quality and substrate flexibility."
IDC's Worldwide and U.S. Continuous Feed 2014-2018 Forecast and Analysis (IDC #248239) presents data and analysis to support planning, development and go-to-market strategies for technology vendors participating in the continuous-feed production print market. The report includes over 30 tables and figures for each segment of the continuous-feed market, detailed vendor market share, system as well as engine placements, and equipment revenues for both worldwide and U.S. markets. Included in the report are IDC's perspectives on:
- Forecast – Following the dramatic technology shift that occurred between 2012 and 2013, IDC predicts that the continuous feed equipment market will grow modestly at a CAGR of 2.4% through 2018. This will be fueled almost entirely by HSIJ, which will grow at a 12.2% CAGR.
- Traditional applications opportunity – The traditional installed base of continuous feed devices is producing customer communications (bills, statements, notices, checks), direct mail, as well as bound documents such as manuals and books. Each application category offers unique opportunities for HSIJ, from eliminating pre-printed forms, rightsizing equipment fleets, and accelerating outsourcing for customer communications, to reducing waste in the publishing supply chain by digitally printing smaller run lengths closely aligned to customer demand.
- Application diversification opportunity – While the majority of HSIJ placements are going to the traditional markets, technology vendors are opening up new opportunities in publishing and commercial print. Considering the immense print volumes produced in these segments, aspirations to convert these volumes to digital print are driving business development activities. This application diversification will accelerate as vendors find the right balance of operating costs, productivity, and print quality. The commercial print customers who may embrace HSIJ technologies are accustomed to acquiring printing presses that stay in operation 10 or more years. HSIJ vendor success may be impacted by their ability to protect a customer’s investment, with technology that is both scalable and extensible. These vendors will need to deliver robust services and cultivate a long-term relationship with their customers. This has historically been the success model for analog equipment vendors and should be embraced by HSIJ vendors.
- Technology shift – It's clear that a technology shift is well underway and HSIJ will become the dominant technology for traditional applications produced by the existing installed base of continuous feed printers. There will continue to be opportunities for EP color technologies where print quality and substrate flexibility is paramount.
- Vendor Shakeout – Today, a gold rush is occurring as many new entrants are vying for the new HSIJ opportunity. While both the digital print and analog press vendors will seek to defend their base, each will seek to grow through capturing print volume. The competitive pressures will intensify and raise the question of when, or if, a technology shift will occur between higher volume analog print and digital. For this reason, most vendors feel compelled to have an HSIJ offering. Based on IDC's historical data for continuous feed printers as well as current adoption projections, IDC believes there are too many offerings in the market. In IDC's Worldwide Production and Large Format Printing 2014 – Top 10 Predictions (IDC #247120), IDC analysts predict that a looming vendor shakeout is on the horizon as the market begins picking inkjet winners.
This report is delivered as part of IDC’s Production and Large Format Print Markets service. Additionally, IDC tracks global and regional shipments of continuous-feed equipment as part of the Worldwide Quarterly Production Printer Tracker. This offering enables clients to leverage IDC's industry-leading data query and visualization tools to evaluate regional and global shipment activities at both the vendor and product level.
To order this research, please contact your IDC Sales representative, or IDC Sales at 508-988-7988 or [email protected].
International Data Corporation (IDC) is the premier global provider of market intelligence, advisory services, and events for the information technology, telecommunications, and consumer technology markets. IDC helps IT professionals, business executives, and the investment community to make fact-based decisions on technology purchases and business strategy. More than 1,000 IDC analysts provide global, regional, and local expertise on technology and industry opportunities and trends in over 110 countries. In 2014, IDC celebrates its 50th anniversary of providing strategic insights to help clients achieve their key business objectives. IDC is a subsidiary of IDG, the world's leading technology media, research, and events company. You can learn more about IDC by visiting www.idc.com.
SYS-CON Events announced today that Intelligent Systems Services will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Established in 1994, Intelligent Systems Services Inc. is located near Washington, DC, with representatives and partners nationwide. ISS’s well-established track record is based on the continuous pursuit of excellence in designing, implementing and supporting nationwide clients’ mission-cri...
Apr. 26, 2015 02:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,819
“With easy-to-use SDKs for Atmel’s platforms, IoT developers can now reap the benefits of realtime communication, and bypass the security pitfalls and configuration complexities that put IoT deployments at risk,” said Todd Greene, founder & CEO of PubNub. PubNub will team with Atmel at CES 2015 to launch full SDK support for Atmel’s MCU, MPU, and Wireless SoC platforms. Atmel developers now have access to PubNub’s secure Publish/Subscribe messaging with guaranteed ¼ second latencies across PubN...
Apr. 26, 2015 02:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,883
SYS-CON Events announced today that B2Cloud, a provider of enterprise resource planning software, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. B2cloud develops the software you need. They have the ideal tools to help you work with your clients. B2Cloud’s main solutions include AGIS – ERP, CLOHC, AGIS – Invoice, and IZUM
Apr. 26, 2015 02:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,587
SYS-CON Events announced today that Tufin, the market-leading provider of Security Policy Orchestration Solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. As the market leader of Security Policy Orchestration, Tufin automates and accelerates network configuration changes while maintaining security and compliance. Tufin's award-winning Orchestration Suite™ gives IT organizations the power and a...
Apr. 26, 2015 01:45 AM EDT Reads: 3,625
VoxImplant has announced full WebRTC support in the newest versions of its Android SDK and iOS SDK. The updated SDKs, which enable audio and video calls on mobile devices, are now compatible with the WebRTC standard to allow any mobile app to communicate with WebRTC-enabled browsers, including Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Opera, and, when available, Microsoft Spartan. The WebRTC-updated SDKs represent VoxImplant's continued leadership in simplifying the development of real-time communication...
Apr. 26, 2015 01:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,214
SYS-CON Events announced today that Cloudian, Inc., the leading provider of hybrid cloud storage solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Cloudian, Inc., is a Foster City, California - based software company specializing in cloud storage software. The main product is Cloudian, an Amazon S3-compliant cloud object storage platform, the bedrock of cloud computing systems, that enables c...
Apr. 26, 2015 01:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,756
SYS-CON Events announced today that Gridstore™, the leader in hyper-converged infrastructure purpose-built to optimize Microsoft workloads, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Gridstore™ is the leader in hyper-converged infrastructure purpose-built for Microsoft workloads and designed to accelerate applications in virtualized environments. Gridstore’s hyper-converged infrastructure is the ...
Apr. 26, 2015 12:45 AM EDT Reads: 4,665
SYS-CON Events announced today that IDenticard will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. IDenticard™ is the security division of Brady Corp (NYSE: BRC), a $1.5 billion manufacturer of identification products. We have small-company values with the strength and stability of a major corporation. IDenticard offers local sales, support and service to our customers across the United States and Canada...
Apr. 26, 2015 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 5,277
SYS-CON Events announced today the IoT Bootcamp – Jumpstart Your IoT Strategy, being held June 9–10, 2015, in conjunction with 16th Cloud Expo and Internet of @ThingsExpo at the Javits Center in New York City. This is your chance to jumpstart your IoT strategy. Combined with real-world scenarios and use cases, the IoT Bootcamp is not just based on presentations but includes hands-on demos and walkthroughs. We will introduce you to a variety of Do-It-Yourself IoT platforms including Arduino, Ras...
Apr. 25, 2015 07:15 PM EDT Reads: 3,039
SYS-CON Events announced today the DevOps Foundation Certification Course, being held June ?, 2015, in conjunction with DevOps Summit and 16th Cloud Expo at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. This sixteen (16) hour course provides an introduction to DevOps – the cultural and professional movement that stresses communication, collaboration, integration and automation in order to improve the flow of work between software developers and IT operations professionals. Improved workflows will res...
Apr. 25, 2015 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,537
The best mobile applications are augmented by dedicated servers, the Internet and Cloud services. Mobile developers should focus on one thing: writing the next socially disruptive viral app. Thanks to the cloud, they can focus on the overall solution, not the underlying plumbing. From iOS to Android and Windows, developers can leverage cloud services to create a common cross-platform backend to persist user settings, app data, broadcast notifications, run jobs, etc. This session provide...
Apr. 25, 2015 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,429
“In the past year we've seen a lot of stabilization of WebRTC. You can now use it in production with a far greater degree of certainty. A lot of the real developments in the past year have been in things like the data channel, which will enable a whole new type of application," explained Peter Dunkley, Technical Director at Acision, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Apr. 25, 2015 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 4,492
SYS-CON Events announced today that Soha will exhibit at SYS-CON's DevOps Summit New York, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Soha delivers enterprise-grade application security, on any device, as agile as the cloud. This turnkey, cloud-based service enables customers to solve secure application access and delivery challenges that traditional or virtualized network solutions cannot solve because they are too expensive, inflexible and operational...
Apr. 25, 2015 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,706
Containers and microservices have become topics of intense interest throughout the cloud developer and enterprise IT communities. Accordingly, attendees at the upcoming 16th Cloud Expo at the Javits Center in New York June 9-11 will find fresh new content in a new track called PaaS | Containers & Microservices Containers are not being considered for the first time by the cloud community, but a current era of re-consideration has pushed them to the top of the cloud agenda. With the launch ...
Apr. 25, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,892
Health care systems across the globe are under enormous strain, as facilities reach capacity and costs continue to rise. M2M and the Internet of Things have the potential to transform the industry through connected health solutions that can make care more efficient while reducing costs. In fact, Vodafone's annual M2M Barometer Report forecasts M2M applications rising to 57 percent in health care and life sciences by 2016. Lively is one of Vodafone's health care partners, whose solutions enable o...
Apr. 25, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,535