|By Marketwired .||
|May 20, 2014 05:17 PM EDT||
LAS VEGAS, NV -- (Marketwired) -- 05/20/14 -- When John Caparella, president and COO of The Venetian and The Palazzo Las Vegas, announced Lipshtick, a new female-driven stand-up comedy series at the Vegas resort's showroom, he took the opportunity to declare something even bigger. According to Caparella: 2014 is the 'Year of the Female Comedienne.'
The Venetian has a long-standing history of featuring outstanding female comediennes, including success with comedic legends like headliners Rita Rudner and Joan Rivers. But the resort is further tapping into a new trend -- that 'girls rule' when it comes to comedy.
"Women are half of the population, and we just haven't been servicing that population," said comedienne, actress and TV producer Whitney Cummings, a feature participant in the Lipshtick series and host of The Venetian's recent press announcement. "It's not every day you get a call that a venue is so excited about female comedians that they are going to do a series. This is something I'm really proud to be a part of. Besides, I'm excited to be part of a [show] in Vegas where women still have their clothes on."
Certainly, female-driven comedy is now as popular as ever. Just look at the trends and the breakout success of recent Hollywood projects headed by female comediennes, like the movie Bridesmaids and TV shows like Cummings' 2 Broke Girls, Lena Dunham's Girls, and Mindy Kaling's The Mindy Project, as examples.
In fact, several recent news items support the trend:
- This week, NBC unveiled The Maya Rudolph Show, highlighting the SNL alum in a prime-time variety show format.
- This week's NBC encore performance of The Women of SNL built on its lead-in by 100 percent in key demographics, adults 18-49 and +45 in total viewers, according to Neilsen-attributed news reports.
- Last week, The Observer newspaper reported that the venerable British network BBC has pledged to include more female comedians in their popular comedy panel shows.
- Earlier this month, Bloomberg reported that Les Moonves, chairman and CEO of CBS, hinted that a female comedienne "would be great" to replace Craig Ferguson in what is the most highly coveted open hosting gig in late night.
- Earlier this year, Tina Fey and Amy Poehler popularly hosted The Golden Globes for the second time. They were followed by Ellen DeGeneres -- and her selfie stunt seen around the world -- as one of the highest-rated hosts of The Academy Awards of all time.
- Pop culture site POPSUGAR recently declared the female comics of SNL are "crushing it" this season. "Cecily Strong, Kate McKinnon, and Aidy Bryant have been stealing the show," said entertainment editor Maggie Pehanick.
- Even the popular Ted Talks series recently tackled the topic, via a talk hosted by Ellie Kemper, best known for her roles in The Office and Bridesmaids. "[F]or a while there was a real dearth of funny and interesting female characters in those big studio comedies and what we were seeing instead in those movies were women who were primarily nags or scolds who were getting in the way of the guys good time," she spoke. "[With these recent successes,] we can finally put this issue to rest. Instead, we should focus our attention on things that carry more weight... like what will tomorrow bring for Kim Kardashian? What will she put on Instagram? And will she and Kanye stay together?"
"I have spent 10 years doing stand up and I have seen these amazing hilarious female comedians who are just not working much," said Cummings, the 'godmother' of the Venetian's Lipshtick series. "When I first started, people used to say 'how come there aren't more female comedians?' There are! They're just not working as much as they should be. When I started 10 years ago, it was more of a risk to book female comedians. I've gotten to watch this cool shift happen and I think a lot of it has to do with [the success of] Tina Fey, Bridesmaids and Chelsea Lately, who always has at least two funny girls on every night."
LIPSHTICK - THE PERFECT SHADE OF STAND UP is a newly branded resident comedy series that marks the first time in the storied entertainment history of Las Vegas that the comedy stage will be taken exclusively by female performers. The new series will debut July 11 with appearances by daytime television personality Wendy Williams and will bring regular stand-up comedy performances to The Sands Showroom from an opening slate of 14 critically acclaimed comediennes.
The series 2014 lineup features today's premier, and up-and-coming female stand-ups, including:
- Joy Behar, former host of The View and the Joy Behar Show
- Jennifer Coolidge, best known for her roles as "Stifler's mom" on American Pie and Sophie on the series 2 Broke Girls
- Whitney Cummings, television personality and co-creator of the hit CBS sitcom 2 Broke Girls
- Susie Essman, best known for her role as Susie Greene on Curb Your Enthusiasm
- Jen Kirkman, known for her regular appearances as a round-table panelist on Chelsea Lately
- Lisa Lampanelli, whose snarky brand of stand up has lovingly earned her the nickname Comedy's Queen of Mean
- Natasha Leggero, known for her regular appearances as a round-table panelist on Chelsea Lately and judge of NBC's Last Comic Standing
- Wendy Liebman, a regular on the late night circuit, including The Tonight Show, Jimmy Kimmel Live!, the Late Show with David Letterman,and The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson
- Loni Love, co-host of the new Fox daytime show The Real and author of Love Him or Leave Him But Don't get Stuck with the Tab
- Heather McDonald, known for her regular appearances as a round-table panelist on Chelsea Lately and author of My Inappropriate Life (Some Stories Not Suitable for Nuns, Children, or Mature Adults)
- Caroline Rhea, best known for her role on Sabrina, the Teenage Witch, and as the host of the talk show, The Caroline Rhea Show
- Rita Rudner, a Venetian headliner since 2001, and one of the most successful comedians in Las Vegas history, selling more than one million tickets collectively
- Iliza Schlesinger, winner of the sixth season of NBC's Last Comic Standing and former host of the syndicated dating show Excused
- Wendy Williams, media personality, actress and host of the daytime talk show The Wendy Williams Show
The new series was designed to appeal to a target audience of couples, groups and bachelorette celebrants out for a uniquely "Vegas" good time. It also creates an entertainment-driven "destination" that focuses on female branding and style while setting The Venetian apart from competitors.
Artists are engaged to perform two to three shows over a weekend, on Friday and Saturday evenings. Once part of the LIPSHTICK family, most of the comediennes will be scheduled into a rotation to perform at The Venetian three to four times per year. In addition, more comediennes will be added at later dates.
"We've already created a buzz in the comedy community," said Caparella. "Everybody wants to be part of this series."
Tickets are currently available for the first dates announced in the series. Shows will be held on Fridays at 10:00 p.m. and Saturdays at 7:30pm. Some performance dates will include a second Saturday night show at 10:00 p.m.
Upcoming shows include:
- July 11: Wendy Williams
- July 18 & 19: Heather McDonald and Iliza Schlesinger
- July 25 & 26: Rita Rudner
- August 1 & 2: Caroline Rhea and Wendy Liebman
- August 8 & 9: Lisa Lampanelli
- August 15 & 16: Whitney Cummings
- August 22 & 23: Joy Behar
- September 5 & 6: Susie Essman
- September 12 & 13: Natasha Leggero and Jen Kirkman
- September 19 & 20: Jennifer Coolidge
- October 3 & 4: Lisa Lampanelli
- October 10 & 11: Loni Love
- November 28 & 29: Whitney Cummings
- December 26 & 27: Lisa Lampanelli
Ticket prices range from $37.50 to $97.50, not including tax and fees. A limited number of suite packages that include a meal at select Venetian and Palazzo restaurants, as well as VIP packages that include preferred front-row seating and a meet-and-greet with the comedienne, will be available.
Tickets are available for purchase by calling The Venetian Box Office at 702-414-9000 or online at www.lipshtick.com or www.venetian.com. Tickets are also available through Ticketmaster.
Performance dates, times and prices are subject to change.
About The Venetian Las Vegas®
The Venetian Las Vegas is one of the world's most iconic resort and convention destinations. Recreating Venice's legendary landmarks, the LEED® EB Gold-certified luxury resort offers unmatched service and quality for leisure and corporate guests. With suites ranging from a standard 650-square-foot Luxury Suite to the luxurious 10,000-square-foot Chairman Suite, the all-suite resort boasts Las Vegas' most lavish accommodations. Located in the heart of the Las Vegas Strip, The Venetian features extensive services for meetings and conventions, in addition to world-class leisure amenities, like Grand Canal Shoppes®, an indoor streetscape complete with gondolas and singing gondoliers; the award-winning Canyon Ranch SpaClub®; best-in-class casino gaming; exquisite restaurants; and a wide variety of entertainment including the party musical "ROCK OF AGES," Motown® headliners Human Nature, and the all-female comedy series LIPSHTICK - THE PERFECT SHADE OF STAND UP. Guests can earn points while they eat, sleep, shop and play with Grazie, the premier loyalty program. The Venetian and its sister resort, The Palazzo Las Vegas, hold the distinction of being the first-ever Alliance Resorts in the InterContinental Hotel Group® global portfolio. For additional information, visit venetian.com, follow on Twitter @venetianvegas and interact on Facebook at facebook.com/venetianlasvegas.
The names and brands mentioned above are trademarks and/or registered trademarks of their respective owners.
CodeFutures has announced Dan Lynn as its new CEO. Lynn assumes the role from Founder Cory Isaacson, who has joined RMS and will now serve as chairman of CodeFutures. Lynn brings more than 14 years of advanced technology and business success experience, and will help CodeFutures build on its industry leadership around its Agile Big Data initiatives. His technical expertise will be invaluable in advancing CodeFutures’ AgilData platform and new processes for streamlining and gaining value from gro...
Jan. 25, 2015 07:00 AM EST Reads: 1,309
Datapipe has acquired GoGrid, a provider of multi-cloud solutions for Big Data deployments. GoGrid’s proprietary orchestration and automation technologies provide 1-Button deployment for Big Data solutions that speed creation and results of new cloud projects. “GoGrid has made it easy for companies to stand up Big Data solutions quickly,” said Robb Allen, CEO, Datapipe. “Datapipe customers will achieve significant value from the speed at which we can now create new Big Data projects in the clou...
Jan. 25, 2015 03:30 AM EST Reads: 1,492
“DevOps is really about the business. The business is under pressure today, competitively in the marketplace to respond to the expectations of the customer. The business is driving IT and the problem is that IT isn't responding fast enough," explained Mark Levy, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Serena Software, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at DevOps Summit, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Jan. 25, 2015 03:00 AM EST Reads: 2,069
“The year of the cloud – we have no idea when it's really happening but we think it's happening now. For those technology providers like Zentera that are helping enterprises move to the cloud - it's been fun to watch," noted Mike Loftus, VP Product Management and Marketing at Zentera Systems, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at Cloud Expo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Jan. 25, 2015 03:00 AM EST Reads: 1,705
Code Halos - aka "digital fingerprints" - are the key organizing principle to understand a) how dumb things become smart and b) how to monetize this dynamic. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Robert Brown, AVP, Center for the Future of Work at Cognizant Technology Solutions, outlined research, analysis and recommendations from his recently published book on this phenomena on the way leading edge organizations like GE and Disney are unlocking the Internet of Things opportunity and what steps your o...
Jan. 25, 2015 02:00 AM EST Reads: 2,630
The Industrial Internet revolution is now underway, enabled by connected machines and billions of devices that communicate and collaborate. The massive amounts of Big Data requiring real-time analysis is flooding legacy IT systems and giving way to cloud environments that can handle the unpredictable workloads. Yet many barriers remain until we can fully realize the opportunities and benefits from the convergence of machines and devices with Big Data and the cloud, including interoperability, ...
Jan. 25, 2015 01:45 AM EST Reads: 2,218
In their session at @ThingsExpo, Shyam Varan Nath, Principal Architect at GE, and Ibrahim Gokcen, who leads GE's advanced IoT analytics, focused on the Internet of Things / Industrial Internet and how to make it operational for business end-users. Learn about the challenges posed by machine and sensor data and how to marry it with enterprise data. They also discussed the tips and tricks to provide the Industrial Internet as an end-user consumable service using Big Data Analytics and Industrial C...
Jan. 25, 2015 01:00 AM EST Reads: 2,432
SYS-CON Media announced that Splunk, a provider of the leading software platform for real-time Operational Intelligence, has launched an ad campaign on Big Data Journal. Splunk software and cloud services enable organizations to search, monitor, analyze and visualize machine-generated big data coming from websites, applications, servers, networks, sensors and mobile devices. The ads focus on delivering ROI - how improved uptime delivered $6M in annual ROI, improving customer operations by minin...
Jan. 25, 2015 12:30 AM EST Reads: 3,366
Today’s enterprise is being driven by disruptive competitive and human capital requirements to provide enterprise application access through not only desktops, but also mobile devices. To retrofit existing programs across all these devices using traditional programming methods is very costly and time consuming – often prohibitively so. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Jesse Shiah, CEO, President, and Co-Founder of AgilePoint Inc., discussed how you can create applications that run on all mobile ...
Jan. 24, 2015 11:45 PM EST Reads: 2,323
“This win means a great deal to us because it is decided by the readers – the people who understand how use of our technology enables new insights that drive the business,” said Matt Davies, senior director, EMEA marketing, Splunk. “Splunk Enterprise enables organizations to improve service levels, reduce operations costs, mitigate security risks, enhance DevOps collaboration, create new product and service offerings and obtain deeper insight into customer behavior. Being named Best Business App...
Jan. 24, 2015 11:45 PM EST Reads: 1,647
SYS-CON Events announced today Isomorphic Software, the global leader in high-end, web-based business applications, will exhibit at SYS-CON's DevOps Summit 2015 New York, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Isomorphic Software is the global leader in high-end, web-based business applications. We develop, market, and support the SmartClient & Smart GWT HTML5/Ajax platform, combining the productivity and performance of traditional desktop software ...
Jan. 24, 2015 11:00 PM EST Reads: 2,647
SYS-CON Media announced today that PagerDuty has launched a popular blog feed on DevOps Journal. DevOps Journal is focused on this critical enterprise IT topic in the world of cloud computing. DevOps Journal brings valuable information to DevOps professionals who are transforming the way enterprise IT is done.
Jan. 24, 2015 11:00 PM EST Reads: 1,261
Things are being built upon cloud foundations to transform organizations. This CEO Power Panel at 15th Cloud Expo, moderated by Roger Strukhoff, Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo conference chair, addressed the big issues involving these technologies and, more important, the results they will achieve. Rodney Rogers, chairman and CEO of Virtustream; Brendan O'Brien, co-founder of Aria Systems, Bart Copeland, president and CEO of ActiveState Software; Jim Cowie, chief scientist at Dyn; Dave Wagstaff, VP ...
Jan. 24, 2015 11:00 PM EST Reads: 2,338
SYS-CON Events announced today that CodeFutures, a leading supplier of database performance tools, has been named a “Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9–11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York, NY. CodeFutures is an independent software vendor focused on providing tools that deliver database performance tools that increase productivity during database development and increase database performance and scalability during production.
Jan. 24, 2015 11:00 PM EST Reads: 1,443
SYS-CON Events announced today that ActiveState, the leading independent Cloud Foundry and Docker-based PaaS provider, has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's DevOps Summit New York, which will take place June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. ActiveState believes that enterprises gain a competitive advantage when they are able to quickly create, deploy and efficiently manage software solutions that immediately create business value, but they face many challenges that ...
Jan. 24, 2015 09:00 PM EST Reads: 1,695