|By Marketwired .||
|May 23, 2014 12:01 PM EDT||
GUATEMALA CITY, GUATEMALA--(Marketwired - May 23, 2014) - Guatemala's vast landscape is the ideal playground for active travelers seeking exciting new experiences in a non-homogenous, natural environment. From trekking lush jungles to discover ancient Mayan ruins to cave exploration, extreme mountain biking and rappelling from some of the most stunning natural settings in the country, Guatemala promises an unforgettable experience, ideal for summer travel.
Below are Guatemala's leading adventure excursions:
- Travelers seeking a high dose of culture and adventure are invited to embark on the "Maya Trek, El Zotz - Tikal" experience a "Survivor" style expedition like no other. The three-day excursion entails a trek through the dense landscape of the Petén jungle, located in the northern area of the country. Led by a group of local community leaders who are fully trained in navigation, food preparation and horse handling, trekkers are taken on a journey in the Maya Biosphere Reserve to visit ancient ruins and encounter amazing flora and fauna along the way. The expedition visits impressive sites such as: the Bat Wall in San Miguel La Palotada - El Zotz Biotope; archaeological sites El Zotz; exploring its Acropolis and El Diablo Complex; El Palmar Site, archaeological Site Chiquin - Tikal and Tikal National Park.
- For those who want to explore the underworld -- as the Mayans said, Guatemala has hundreds of caves and karst tunnels to see, all set with stunning backdrops of greenery and turquoise waters. In Petén, travelers can visit the famed Naj Tunich to see intricate ancient Mayan paintings on cave walls or visit Ixobel cave, known for its enormous size. On the Caribbean coast is Caxlampon cave that invites travelers to rappel down its 20 foot cascading waterfall. In Verapaces are four more to see: Candelaria, Los Nacimientos, Lanquin, Ma´ Xiwan and Rey Marcos.
- Located in Lanquín jungle in Alta Verapaz, Natural Monument Semuc Champey offers jaw-dropping views throughout the expansive ecological site. A remote natural attraction requires a scenic five and a half hour expedition from the capital along an off-road route that ventures through small villages and verdant areas. Upon arrival, travelers are privy to the stunning vistas such as a 1,000 foot natural limestone bridge soaring over the Cahabón River and waterfalls streaming beneath it and above, a series of beautiful stepped turquoise pools accessible for swimming. Surrounding this breathtaking formation is the tropical jungle with numerous trails to enjoy the flora and fauna, as well as several caves to explore. The best spot to take it all in is the Mirador lookout point.
- Stunning views and adrenaline pumping climbs await thrill-seeking adventure travelers with Guatemala's 33 volcanoes, three of them active. With numerous intensity levels to choose from -- all allowing for close wildlife encounters, travelers have the option of volcano climbing based on their skill sets. Tacana, Tajamulco and Acatenango volcano are a bucket list spots for the most ardent adventurer, while Ipala, Chicabal and Pacaya offer a less physically demanding experience.
- Small in size, yet sprawling in terrain, Guatemala presents many off-the-beaten paths for mountain biking. From stunning volcanoes and vast valleys, to expansive mountain area and paradisiacal jungles, amateurs and experts alike will appreciate the many routes available ranging in level of difficulty, each offering their own unique view of the country's awe-inspiring scenery.
- Rappelling is an activity found in many of Guatemala's natural attractions including mountains, volcanoes, sinkholes, waterfalls, cliffs and caves. For the most extreme rappelling experience, visitors can venture to Cimarron, located in Huehuetenango, a "cenote" (circular crevice) that plummets nearly 500 feet. In Santa Rosa, thrill-seekers can rappel down the Concepcion waterfall that measures 115 feet. At Bombil Pek, cave exploration and rappelling come together with a 197 foot descent to the bottom.
Guatemala has numerous highly-trained and experienced tour operators who offer these guided adventures. To learn more visit, www.visitguatemala.com.
Nested in Central America, Guatemala is the heart of the Mayan world. A place where a modern capital city melds seamlessly with the country's colonial and indigenous past, Guatemala is the path less traveled offering enlightening experiences beyond what meets the eye. From ancient Mayan ruins emerging from the lush rainforests and impressive colonial cities with colorful outdoor markets to countless natural attractions and adventures including pristine forests reserves and active volcanoes Guatemala presents Life Lessons worth living. It is home to three UNESCO World Heritage sites including the colonial city of Antigua, the Archaeological Park and Ruins of Quirigua and the Tikal National Park showcasing impressively preserved Mayan ruins and stunning natural wonders. For more information, visit www.visitguatemala.com
The industrial software market has treated data with the mentality of “collect everything now, worry about how to use it later.” We now find ourselves buried in data, with the pervasive connectivity of the (Industrial) Internet of Things only piling on more numbers. There’s too much data and not enough information. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Bob Gates, Global Marketing Director, GE’s Intelligent Platforms business, to discuss how realizing the power of IoT, software developers are now focu...
Mar. 6, 2015 03:15 PM EST Reads: 1,602
There are many considerations when moving applications from on-premise to cloud. It is critical to understand the benefits and also challenges of this migration. A successful migration will result in lower Total Cost of Ownership, yet offer the same or higher level of robustness. In his session at 15th Cloud Expo, Michael Meiner, an Engineering Director at Oracle, Corporation, will analyze a range of cloud offerings (IaaS, PaaS, SaaS) and discuss the benefits/challenges of migrating to each of...
Mar. 6, 2015 03:15 PM EST Reads: 2,362
SYS-CON Media announced today that Symantec, a provider of leading security, backup and availability solutions for where vital information is stored, accessed and shared, has launched new ad campaigns on SYS-CON's i-Technology sites, which include Cloud Computing Journal, DevOps Journal, Virtualization Journal, and IoT Journal. Symantec’s campaigns focus on Disaster Recovery and High Availability, the availability of business-critical applications in today’s complex heterogeneous environments, ...
Mar. 6, 2015 03:00 PM EST Reads: 780
We certainly live in interesting technological times. And no more interesting than the current competing IoT standards for connectivity. Various standards bodies, approaches, and ecosystems are vying for mindshare and positioning for a competitive edge. It is clear that when the dust settles, we will have new protocols, evolved protocols, that will change the way we interact with devices and infrastructure. We will also have evolved web protocols, like HTTP/2, that will be changing the very core...
Mar. 6, 2015 02:30 PM EST Reads: 3,252
Skytap Inc., has appointed David Frost as vice president of professional services. David joins Skytap from Deloitte Consulting where he served as Managing Director leading SAP, Cloud, and Advanced Technology Services. At Skytap, David will head the company's professional services organization, and spearhead a new consulting practice that will guide IT organizations through the adoption of DevOps best practices. David's appointment comes on the heels of Skytap's recent $35 million Series D fundin...
Mar. 6, 2015 02:30 PM EST Reads: 940
Operational Hadoop and the Lambda Architecture for Streaming Data Apache Hadoop is emerging as a distributed platform for handling large and fast incoming streams of data. Predictive maintenance, supply chain optimization, and Internet-of-Things analysis are examples where Hadoop provides the scalable storage, processing, and analytics platform to gain meaningful insights from granular data that is typically only valuable from a large-scale, aggregate view. One architecture useful for capturing...
Mar. 6, 2015 02:00 PM EST Reads: 1,578
Today’s enterprise is being driven by disruptive competitive and human capital requirements to provide enterprise application access through not only desktops, but also mobile devices. To retrofit existing programs across all these devices using traditional programming methods is very costly and time consuming – often prohibitively so. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Jesse Shiah, CEO, President, and Co-Founder of AgilePoint Inc., discussed how you can create applications that run on all mobile ...
Mar. 6, 2015 01:45 PM EST Reads: 3,477
SYS-CON Events announced today that Vitria Technology, Inc. will exhibit at SYS-CON’s @ThingsExpo, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Vitria will showcase the company’s new IoT Analytics Platform through live demonstrations at booth #330. Vitria’s IoT Analytics Platform, fully integrated and powered by an operational intelligence engine, enables customers to rapidly build and operationalize advanced analytics to deliver timely business outcomes ...
Mar. 6, 2015 01:45 PM EST Reads: 1,476
DevOps is about increasing efficiency, but nothing is more inefficient than building the same application twice. However, this is a routine occurrence with enterprise applications that need both a rich desktop web interface and strong mobile support. With recent technological advances from Isomorphic Software and others, it is now feasible to create a rich desktop and tuned mobile experience with a single codebase, without compromising performance or usability.
Mar. 6, 2015 01:15 PM EST Reads: 1,385
Docker has acquired software-defined networking (SDN) startup SocketPlane. SocketPlane, which was founded in Q4, 2014, with a vision of delivering Docker-native networking, has been an active participant in shaping the initial efforts around Docker’s open API for networking. The explicit focus of the SocketPlane team within Docker will be on collaborating with the partner community to complete a rich set of networking APIs that addresses the needs of application developers and network and system...
Mar. 6, 2015 01:00 PM EST Reads: 1,095
Containers and microservices have become topics of intense interest throughout the cloud developer and enterprise IT communities. Accordingly, attendees at the upcoming 16th Cloud Expo at the Javits Center in New York June 9-11 will find fresh new content in a new track called PaaS | Containers & Microservices Containers are not being considered for the first time by the cloud community, but a current era of re-consideration has pushed them to the top of the cloud agenda. With the launch ...
Mar. 6, 2015 01:00 PM EST Reads: 1,211
SYS-CON Events announced today that Dyn, the worldwide leader in Internet Performance, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Dyn is a cloud-based Internet Performance company. Dyn helps companies monitor, control, and optimize online infrastructure for an exceptional end-user experience. Through a world-class network and unrivaled, objective intelligence into Internet conditions, Dyn ensures...
Mar. 6, 2015 01:00 PM EST Reads: 1,117
The speed of software changes in growing and large scale rapid-paced DevOps environments presents a challenge for continuous testing. Many organizations struggle to get this right. Practices that work for small scale continuous testing may not be sufficient as the requirements grow. In his session at DevOps Summit, Marc Hornbeek, Sr. Solutions Architect of DevOps continuous test solutions at Spirent Communications, will explain the best practices of continuous testing at high scale, which is r...
Mar. 6, 2015 01:00 PM EST Reads: 1,455
In their session at @ThingsExpo, Shyam Varan Nath, Principal Architect at GE, and Ibrahim Gokcen, who leads GE's advanced IoT analytics, focused on the Internet of Things / Industrial Internet and how to make it operational for business end-users. Learn about the challenges posed by machine and sensor data and how to marry it with enterprise data. They also discussed the tips and tricks to provide the Industrial Internet as an end-user consumable service using Big Data Analytics and Industrial C...
Mar. 6, 2015 12:30 PM EST Reads: 3,517
JFrog on Thursday announced that it has added Docker support to Bintray, its distribution-as-a-service (DaaS) platform. When combined with JFrog’s Artifactory binary repository management system, organizations can now manage Docker images with an end-to-end solution that supports all technologies. The new version of Bintray allows organizations to create an unlimited number of private Docker repositories, and through the use of fast Akamai content delivery networks (CDNs), it decreases the dow...
Mar. 6, 2015 12:00 PM EST Reads: 1,055