|By Business Wire||
|June 2, 2014 10:15 AM EDT||
BitPay, world leader in business solutions for Bitcoin digital currency, announces a partnership with Hester Street Fair, an outdoor marketplace in New York City. Many of the fair’s vendors are accepting bitcoin in hopes of catering to the younger demographic that attends the fair.
Hester Street Fair is a bustling outdoor market that is hosted in the Lower East Side of New York City. The original Hester Street Market flourished at the turn of the century when vendors were using push carts. Today the fair offers everything from handmade jewelry and rare vintage pieces, to wood fired pizza and ice cream sandwiches. The Hester Street Fair has become one of New York’s most beloved destinations.
Some of the fair’s vendors who are accepting bitcoin include:
- Hudson & Charles – Serving a rotating menu of sandwiches
- Melt Bakery – NYC’s first ever Ice Cream Sandwich Shop
- An Artistic Taste – Your favorite comfort food with a twist
- Baron Fig – Elegant notebooks for creative types
- Rosette – Popular Lower East Side restaurant
- Café Patoro – Brazilian cheese breads with non-traditional flavors
- Calmer Sutra Tea – Chai tea and other blended teas
- Xcubicle – Lower East Side Bitcoin workshops and hacker space
- Rachel Mae’s Farmstand – A farmstand from Long Island
- Delicate Raymond – Costume jewelry
The fair will be followed by a Bitcoin Meetup from 4-6pm at the Xcubicle Skillshare Space and a Bitcoin Fair after party from 6-10pm at the Rosette. Party goers will be able to purchase bespoke cocktails and beers with bitcoin.
“We are excited to be working with BitPay to offer our vendors a way to use this cutting-edge technology. Hester Street Fair will be the place where the Bitcoin community can socialize, shop, and eat,” said Suhyun Pak, Cofounder of Hester Street Fair & NYC Bitcoin Fair.
The fair supports a community of artists, collectors, and first time entrepreneurs that will use Bitcoin to make a new and exciting shopping experience. Through BitPay, the vendors will be able to accept payments with a 1% or lower processing fee, a fraction of the fees required by other commonly used payment processors such as Square. These lower rates result in more money in the vendors pocket without requiring shoppers to carry cash.
“We are so pleased with our new partnership with Hester Street Fair. It is another milestone for Bitcoin. We are seeing it used in more brick and mortar outlets which is amazing to witness,” said Tony Gallippi, Executive Chairman of BitPay.
BitPay is a Payment Service Provider (PSP) specializing in eCommerce, B2B, and enterprise solutions for the Bitcoin digital currency.