|By Marketwired .||
|June 6, 2014 12:30 PM EDT||
SPRUCE GROVE, ALBERTA -- (Marketwired) -- 06/06/14 -- Department of Canadian Heritage
The Horizon Stage Performing Arts Centre will receive $90,000 over two years ($45,000 in 2014-15 and $45,000 in 2015-16) through the Canada Arts Presentation Fund in support of the Horizon Stage's 2014-15 and 2015-16 performing-arts seasons.
The seasons will feature performances in theatre, comedy, dance, folk and popular music, as well as children's entertainment. As part of efforts to develop future audiences for the arts, the Horizon Stage will also promote outreach activities, including daytime school performances and workshops.
This funding was announced today by the Honourable Rona Ambrose, Minister of Health, Regional Minister for Northern Alberta and Member of Parliament (Edmonton-Spruce Grove), on behalf of the Honourable Shelly Glover, Minister of Canadian Heritage and Official Languages.
- The Horizon Stage Performing Arts Centre is operated by the City of Spruce Grove and Parkland County.
- The 318-seat theatre serves the cultural and recreational needs of the community and provides a variety of performing and visual arts experiences to citizens of Spruce Grove.
- In 2009-10, the facility underwent a technical equipment upgrade thanks to $125,100 in funding from the Canada Cultural Spaces Fund.
"The arts and culture sector is important to Alberta's economy and beyond. By providing opportunities for Canadians to enjoy the rich cultural diversity that is characteristic of our country, we are fostering the growth of our artists, artisans and communities."
- The Honourable Shelly Glover, Minister of Canadian Heritage and Official Languages
"As someone who grew up in this community and is proud to call Parkland County home, I can attest to the valuable role the Horizon Stage Performing Arts Centre plays in Spruce Grove. It provides opportunities for residents and visitors alike to experience high-quality artistic performances and offers programming for all ages and tastes. I wish them continued success in their forthcoming seasons."
- The Honourable Rona Ambrose, Minister of Health, Regional Minister for Northern Alberta and Member of Parliament(Edmonton-Spruce Grove)
"We are grateful that the federal government acknowledges the vital role the Horizon Stage Performing Arts Centre plays in enriching the arts and cultural experiences of audiences in Spruce Grove and Parkland County. With this support, Horizon Stage and its troop of dedicated volunteers can continue to offer quality and diverse presentations of theatre, music and dance to our community."
- His Worship Stuart Houston, Mayor of Spruce Grove
"Parkland County residents continue to benefit from the exceptional cultural opportunities provided by the Horizon Stage. This facility is an excellent example of partnership between the City of Spruce Grove and Parkland County, and we are very excited to see this important venue continue to grow and serve the region."
- His Worship Rod Shaigec, Mayor of Parkland County
"Horizon Stage is grateful for the support provided by the Government of Canada. The Canada Arts Presentation Fund is vital component that allows us to provide residents of Spruce Grove and Parkland County with access to high-quality artists. We thank Canadian Heritage for its ongoing commitment to our theatre and to presenting professional artists in Canadian communities."
- Brandi Wurtz, Theatre Manager, Horizon Stage Performing Arts Centre
Office of the Minister of Canadian Heritage
and Official Languages
A/Regional Communications Manager