|By Marketwired .||
|June 9, 2014 12:02 PM EDT||
NASHVILLE, TN -- (Marketwired) -- 06/09/14 -- Five attorneys from the Birmingham office of Waller, a leading provider of legal services to the healthcare, financial services, retail and hospitality industries, have been named 2014 Alabama Super Lawyers and Rising Stars by Thomson Reuters.
Super Lawyers is a rating service of outstanding attorneys who, through an independent research process, have been identified as having attained a high degree of peer recognition and professional achievement. The Waller Alabama Super Lawyers include:
- William C. Athanas, a partner at Waller who represents companies and individuals in government investigations and high-profile enforcement actions. His experience includes criminal, regulatory and internal investigations and trials in the banking, healthcare and securities areas. Athanas has been named as a Super Lawyer in the practice area of criminal defense, with special recognition on white collar crime and business litigation. This is his second consecutive year being named a Super Lawyer.
- Larry Childs, a partner at Waller who has been a top litigator for over 30 years with experience in a variety of businesses regarding a diverse range of matters. From the financial services industry to manufacturing, he is skilled in handling complex litigation. Childs was recognized for his achievements in the areas of business litigation, securities litigation and class actions/mass torts. This is his fifth consecutive year and sixth overall appearance on the Super Lawyers list.
- Colin Luke, a partner at Waller who advises hospitals, health systems, physicians and outpatient services providers on regulatory compliance matters. He also counsels healthcare clients on operations issues, such as provider and payor certifications, facility licensure and certificates of need and in transactional matters including the acquisition and divestiture of healthcare facilities and the formation of healthcare joint ventures. This is his sixth consecutive year being named a Super Lawyer.
The Rising Stars list honors attorneys who are 40 years old or younger, or have been practicing for 10 years or less. The Waller Alabama Rising Stars are:
- Chris Driskill, an associate at Waller who defends officers and directors of financial institutions against both investor class-actions and shareholder derivative actions. In addition, he represents employers in matters involving allegations of harassment, discrimination, retaliation and wrongful discharge under federal and state law. He holds experience in securities fraud class actions, shareholder derivative actions and the enforcement of financial instruments.
- Brian Malcom, an associate at Waller who represents banks, lenders, financial institutions, and healthcare firms in litigation matters. He resolves commercial disputes related to financial products liability, contractual agreements, and other business issues. Malcom has experience in dealing with bond claims, lien claims, financial services and the collection of obligations owed by governmental entities.
The Super Lawyers lists are published in Super Lawyers Magazines and in leading city and regional magazines across the country. Inclusion is based upon an exhaustive selection process that is multi-phased and includes independent research, peer nominations and peer evaluations.
Waller is headquartered in Nashville, Tenn. with offices in Birmingham, Ala., Austin, Tex., and Memphis, Tenn. With approximately 200 attorneys, Waller helps clients navigate a diverse range of complex transactional, regulatory and litigation issues across myriad industries. Founded in 1905, Waller has client relationships spanning decades because clients, time and again, come for the lawyer and stay for the firm®. For more information, please visit www.wallerlaw.com.
SAP is delivering break-through innovation combined with fantastic user experience powered by the market-leading in-memory technology, SAP HANA. In his General Session at 15th Cloud Expo, Thorsten Leiduck, VP ISVs & Digital Commerce, SAP, discussed how SAP and partners provide cloud and hybrid cloud solutions as well as real-time Big Data offerings that help companies of all sizes and industries run better. SAP launched an application challenge to award the most innovative SAP HANA and SAP HANA...
Nov. 27, 2014 05:00 PM EST Reads: 1,216
The 4th International DevOps Summit, co-located with16th International Cloud Expo – being held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY – announces that its Call for Papers is now open. Born out of proven success in agile development, cloud computing, and process automation, DevOps is a macro trend you cannot afford to miss. From showcase success stories from early adopters and web-scale businesses, DevOps is expanding to organizations of all sizes, including the world's large...
Nov. 27, 2014 05:00 PM EST Reads: 1,643
15th Cloud Expo, which took place Nov. 4-6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, expanded the conference content of @ThingsExpo, Big Data Expo, and DevOps Summit to include two developer events. IBM held a Bluemix Developer Playground on November 5 and ElasticBox held a Hackathon on November 6. Both events took place on the expo floor. The Bluemix Developer Playground, for developers of all levels, highlighted the ease of use of Bluemix, its services and functionalit...
Nov. 27, 2014 05:00 PM EST Reads: 1,000
Some developers believe that monitoring is a function of the operations team. Some operations teams firmly believe that monitoring the systems they maintain is sufficient to run the business successfully. Most of them are wrong. The complexity of today's applications have gone far and beyond the capabilities of "traditional" system-level monitoring tools and approaches and requires much broader knowledge of business and applications as a whole. The goal of DevOps is to connect all aspects of app...
Nov. 27, 2014 05:00 PM EST Reads: 880
When an enterprise builds a hybrid IaaS cloud connecting its data center to one or more public clouds, security is often a major topic along with the other challenges involved. Security is closely intertwined with the networking choices made for the hybrid cloud. Traditional networking approaches for building a hybrid cloud try to kludge together the enterprise infrastructure with the public cloud. Consequently this approach requires risky, deep "surgery" including changes to firewalls, subnets...
Nov. 27, 2014 04:45 PM EST Reads: 1,056
Want to enable self-service provisioning of application environments in minutes that mirror production? Can you automatically provide rich data with code-level detail back to the developers when issues occur in production? In his session at DevOps Summit, David Tesar, Microsoft Technical Evangelist on Microsoft Azure and DevOps, will discuss how to accomplish this and more utilizing technologies such as Microsoft Azure, Visual Studio online, and Application Insights in this demo-heavy session.
Nov. 27, 2014 04:45 PM EST Reads: 1,014
DevOps is all about agility. However, you don't want to be on a high-speed bus to nowhere. The right DevOps approach controls velocity with a tight feedback loop that not only consists of operational data but also incorporates business context. With a business context in the decision making, the right business priorities are incorporated, which results in a higher value creation. In his session at DevOps Summit, Todd Rader, Solutions Architect at AppDynamics, discussed key monitoring techniques...
Nov. 27, 2014 04:30 PM EST Reads: 1,039
Cultural, regulatory, environmental, political and economic (CREPE) conditions over the past decade are creating cross-industry solution spaces that require processes and technologies from both the Internet of Things (IoT), and Data Management and Analytics (DMA). These solution spaces are evolving into Sensor Analytics Ecosystems (SAE) that represent significant new opportunities for organizations of all types. Public Utilities throughout the world, providing electricity, natural gas and water,...
Nov. 27, 2014 04:00 PM EST Reads: 1,145
The security devil is always in the details of the attack: the ones you've endured, the ones you prepare yourself to fend off, and the ones that, you fear, will catch you completely unaware and defenseless. The Internet of Things (IoT) is nothing if not an endless proliferation of details. It's the vision of a world in which continuous Internet connectivity and addressability is embedded into a growing range of human artifacts, into the natural world, and even into our smartphones, appliances, a...
Nov. 27, 2014 04:00 PM EST Reads: 1,546
How do APIs and IoT relate? The answer is not as simple as merely adding an API on top of a dumb device, but rather about understanding the architectural patterns for implementing an IoT fabric. There are typically two or three trends: Exposing the device to a management framework Exposing that management framework to a business centric logic Exposing that business layer and data to end users. This last trend is the IoT stack, which involves a new shift in the separation of what stuff happe...
Nov. 27, 2014 03:00 PM EST Reads: 1,168
The 3rd International Internet of @ThingsExpo, co-located with the 16th International Cloud Expo - to be held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY - announces that its Call for Papers is now open. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the biggest idea since the creation of the Worldwide Web more than 20 years ago.
Nov. 27, 2014 03:00 PM EST Reads: 734
The Internet of Things is tied together with a thin strand that is known as time. Coincidentally, at the core of nearly all data analytics is a timestamp. When working with time series data there are a few core principles that everyone should consider, especially across datasets where time is the common boundary. In his session at Internet of @ThingsExpo, Jim Scott, Director of Enterprise Strategy & Architecture at MapR Technologies, discussed single-value, geo-spatial, and log time series dat...
Nov. 27, 2014 03:00 PM EST Reads: 1,386
An entirely new security model is needed for the Internet of Things, or is it? Can we save some old and tested controls for this new and different environment? In his session at @ThingsExpo, New York's at the Javits Center, Davi Ottenheimer, EMC Senior Director of Trust, reviewed hands-on lessons with IoT devices and reveal a new risk balance you might not expect. Davi Ottenheimer, EMC Senior Director of Trust, has more than nineteen years' experience managing global security operations and asse...
Nov. 27, 2014 01:00 PM EST Reads: 1,589
The Internet of Things will greatly expand the opportunities for data collection and new business models driven off of that data. In her session at @ThingsExpo, Esmeralda Swartz, CMO of MetraTech, discussed how for this to be effective you not only need to have infrastructure and operational models capable of utilizing this new phenomenon, but increasingly service providers will need to convince a skeptical public to participate. Get ready to show them the money!
Nov. 27, 2014 11:00 AM EST Reads: 1,199
The Internet of Things will put IT to its ultimate test by creating infinite new opportunities to digitize products and services, generate and analyze new data to improve customer satisfaction, and discover new ways to gain a competitive advantage across nearly every industry. In order to help corporate business units to capitalize on the rapidly evolving IoT opportunities, IT must stand up to a new set of challenges. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Jeff Kaplan, Managing Director of THINKstrateg...
Nov. 27, 2014 10:00 AM EST Reads: 1,156