|By Business Wire||
|June 10, 2014 09:10 AM EDT||
Nutanix, the leading provider of next-generation datacenter infrastructure solutions, today announced the validation of its reference architecture using Citrix XenDesktop®, Microsoft Hyper-V and the Nutanix Virtual Computing Platform. The configuration was tested at scale by Citrix virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI) experts, and based on real-world traffic scenarios. With desktop virtualization as a top initiative for enterprise IT decision makers, the Citrix –Nutanix reference architecture enables organizations to accelerate their journey to successful virtualized desktop and application deployments using advanced, web-scale converged infrastructure.
The Nutanix and Citrix reference architecture is ideal for taking VDI projects from pilot phase to full production. VDI projects are notorious for experiencing infrastructure-related challenges such as incorrect sizing, unexpected storage bottlenecks, inability to maintain acceptable performance at scale and complex management. The Nutanix web-scale architecture allows organizations to start small and minimize upfront costs, and scale the infrastructure on-demand while delivering an excellent user experience. In addition, the recently announced Nutanix Per Desktop and VDI Assurance program de-risks VDI deployments by ensuring that there are always sufficient infrastructure resources to maintain the highest possible VDI performance levels.
- The fully optimized and validated configuration was tested at scale by Citrix, and was based on real-world user scenarios. Login VSI – an industry standard tool for user/session benchmarking – was leveraged to test multiple aspects of the joint solution.
- Software-based integration of storage and compute resources, along with a VM-centric design, eliminates the need for separate storage and configuration, provisioning and mapping that traditional infrastructure requires
For Hosted Virtual Desktops (HVDs) – support for 1,000 users
required just six rack units (6U) of space
- Nine (9) NX-3060 with 256GB RAM for desktops
- Two (2) NX-3060 with 128GB RAM for Citrix XenDesktop infrastructure
For Hosted Shared Desktops (HSDs) – support for 1,000 users
required just four rack units (4U) of space
- Four (4) NX-3060 with 256GB RAM for Windows Server 2012 R2 VMs
- Two (2) NX-3060 with 128GB RAM for infrastructure
- For Hosted Virtual Desktops (HVDs) – support for 1,000 users required just six rack units (6U) of space
- Citrix XenDesktop 7.1 with Machine Creation Services (MCS)
- Citrix Storefront VMs
- Microsoft SQL Server VMs
- VMs run on Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 with Hyper-V technology
- Hosted Virtual Desktops – Windows 7 64-bit VMs
- Hosted Shared Desktops – RDS on Windows Server 2012 R2 VMs
“Using Nutanix, we managed to deploy infrastructure to support our 4,000 user Citrix deployment in less than two days. Being able to move so rapidly helped solve one of our major pain points,” said Victor Irlandez, senior technical architect at Rush University. “We also found the cost to be lower than comparable configurations, which helped us achieve our costs goals.”
“Nutanix and their web-scale design have been true game-changers in the datacenter,” commented Jim Steinlage, president and CEO of Choice Solutions. “As a long time platinum partner of Citrix, we aim to offer our customers excellent value around desktop virtualization. We’re excited about leveraging the Citrix and Nutanix reference architecture to deliver on our promise of cost effective, predictable and scalable VDI for our clients.”
“The hyper converged architecture of the Nutanix Virtual Computing Platform complements the scalability and flexibility of Citrix XenDesktop. This drove our decision to collaborate with Nutanix for a validated solution,” said Calvin Hsu, vice president of product marketing, Desktops and Apps at Citrix. “The Citrix-Nutanix reference architecture will help partners and customers lower the deployment time and risk, while providing a highly-efficient virtual desktop infrastructure.”
“As the first converged infrastructure vendor offering a validated reference architecture, Nutanix is enabling organizations to successfully and cost effectively deploy VDI from pilot to production, while delivering a superior user experience for all users,” said Howard Ting, senior vice president, marketing and product management at Nutanix. “Our joint customers will benefit from fully tested, end-to-end design and pay-as-you-grow scalability as a result of the work done on the CVS and the Nutanix web-scale converged infrastructure.”
- For more information about simplifying VDI and lower risks with Citrix Validated Solutions for Nutanix, read the Solution Brief.
- To access the technical summary of the Citrix and Nutanix reference architecture, go here.
- Register for the Nutanix and Citrix Webinars:
- To learn more about the Nutanix Virtual Computing Platform, go here.
- To watch the Nutanix videos, go here.
Nutanix delivers web-scale converged IT infrastructure to medium and large enterprises with its software-driven Virtual Computing Platform, natively converging compute and storage into a single solution to drive unprecedented simplicity in the datacenter. Customers can start with a few servers and scale to thousands, with predictable performance and economics. With a patented elastic data fabric and consumer-grade management, Nutanix is the blueprint for application-optimized and policy-driven infrastructure. Learn more at www.nutanix.com or follow up on Twitter @nutanix.
Nutanix is a trademark of Nutanix, Inc. All other trademarks and registered trademarks are property of their respective owners.