|By Marketwired .||
|June 11, 2014 10:56 AM EDT||
SAN FRANCISCO, CA -- (Marketwired) -- 06/11/14 -- Golden Gate University (GGU) and several of its top students recently earned prestigious awards and scholarships.
At GGU's Edward S. Ageno School of Business:
- The San Francisco Public Relations Roundtable (SFPRRT) awarded students Hege Thorbjoernsen and Jay Rooney each a $3,000 Phillip N. McCombs scholarship, which is given to outstanding students seeking to enter the field of public relations and marketing communications. Students are evaluated on their academic performance, professional and volunteer experience, career plans for public relations and communications professions, and recommendations from a faculty member. GGU students have received SFPRRT scholarships every year in which scholarships have been awarded since 2006.
- The Council of Supply Chain Management Professionals (CSCMP) awarded student Jin Gao its $2,000 MIQ Logistics Scholarship. CSMP provides opportunities for supply chain professionals to develop and improve their supply change management skills, identifies and conducts research which adds to the knowledge of supply chain theory and practice and creates awareness of supply chain management's significance to business and the economy.
- The American Society for Quality (ASQ) - San Francisco awarded $1,000 scholarships to graduate student Pornthip Duangkaew and undergraduate student Trois Hart. ASQ is a global community of people passionate about quality and is the sole administrator of the prestigious Malcolm Baldrige National quality Award and the founding sponsor of the American Customer Satisfaction Index, a widely watched quarterly economic indicator that rates customer satisfaction.
- The Institute for Supply Chain Management awarded students Kevin Chen and Chenbin Zheng with the Katherine DeLucchi Award. The award was established in 1987 and is given to outstanding students in the field. DeLucchi is one of the pioneer women in purchasing. She was the first Material Manager in the University of California system and the first woman president of the Purchasing Management Association of Northern California.
- The San Francisco Tax Executives Institute (TEI) awarded students Himani Gandhi and Lavanya Thyagarajan scholarships of $2,925 each. TEI is the preeminent association of in-house tax professionals worldwide. Its members are business executives responsible for taxation matters on an administrative or policy-making level, or whose work is otherwise primarily concerned with the challenges of business taxation.
- The Silicon Valley Tax Directors Group (SVTDG) awarded student Kristina Abramyan a $3,000 scholarship. SVTDG is composed of representatives from leading high-technology companies in Silicon Valley. The group hosts visits of Federal, State and County tax law makers to share information about the high technology industries and enabling open dialog regarding tax policy.
About Golden Gate University
GGU, a private nonprofit, has been helping adults achieve their professional goals by providing undergraduate and graduate education in accounting, law, taxation, business and related areas for more than 113 years. GGU is accredited by the American Bar Association (ABA) and the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC).
415 456 4131
The industrial software market has treated data with the mentality of “collect everything now, worry about how to use it later.” We now find ourselves buried in data, with the pervasive connectivity of the (Industrial) Internet of Things only piling on more numbers. There’s too much data and not enough information. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Bob Gates, Global Marketing Director, GE’s Intelligent Platforms business, to discuss how realizing the power of IoT, software developers are now focu...
Jan. 31, 2015 06:30 AM EST Reads: 1,989
The Internet of Things is tied together with a thin strand that is known as time. Coincidentally, at the core of nearly all data analytics is a timestamp. When working with time series data there are a few core principles that everyone should consider, especially across datasets where time is the common boundary. In his session at Internet of @ThingsExpo, Jim Scott, Director of Enterprise Strategy & Architecture at MapR Technologies, discussed single-value, geo-spatial, and log time series dat...
Jan. 31, 2015 05:45 AM EST Reads: 3,209
15th Cloud Expo, which took place Nov. 4-6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, expanded the conference content of @ThingsExpo, Big Data Expo, and DevOps Summit to include two developer events. IBM held a Bluemix Developer Playground on November 5 and ElasticBox held a Hackathon on November 6. Both events took place on the expo floor. The Bluemix Developer Playground, for developers of all levels, highlighted the ease of use of Bluemix, its services and functionalit...
Jan. 31, 2015 05:30 AM EST Reads: 2,884
Today’s enterprise is being driven by disruptive competitive and human capital requirements to provide enterprise application access through not only desktops, but also mobile devices. To retrofit existing programs across all these devices using traditional programming methods is very costly and time consuming – often prohibitively so. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Jesse Shiah, CEO, President, and Co-Founder of AgilePoint Inc., discussed how you can create applications that run on all mobile ...
Jan. 31, 2015 05:00 AM EST Reads: 2,907
In her General Session at 15th Cloud Expo, Anne Plese, Senior Consultant, Cloud Product Marketing, at Verizon Enterprise, focused on finding the right mix of renting vs. buying Oracle capacity to scale to meet business demands, and offer validated Oracle database TCO models for Oracle development and testing environments. Anne Plese is a marketing and technology enthusiast/realist with over 19+ years in high tech. At Verizon Enterprise, she focuses on driving growth for the Verizon Cloud platfo...
Jan. 31, 2015 04:30 AM EST Reads: 3,486
At 15th Cloud Expo, Shrikant Pattathil, Executive Vice President at Harbinger Systems, demos a video delivery platform that helps you do interactive videos. He discusses how Harbinger is accomplishing it in the cloud world, the problems they faced and the choices they made to get around these problems.
Jan. 31, 2015 03:45 AM EST Reads: 1,670
Between the compelling mockups and specs produced by your analysts and designers, and the resulting application built by your developers, there is a gulf where projects fail, costs spiral out of control, and applications fall short of requirements. In his session at DevOps Summit, Charles Kendrick, CTO and Chief Architect at Isomorphic Software, will present a new approach where business and development users collaborate – each using tools appropriate to their goals and expertise – to build mo...
Jan. 31, 2015 03:15 AM EST Reads: 1,956
There is no doubt that Big Data is here and getting bigger every day. Building a Big Data infrastructure today is no easy task. There are an enormous number of choices for database engines and technologies. To make things even more challenging, requirements are getting more sophisticated, and the standard paradigm of supporting historical analytics queries is often just one facet of what is needed. As Big Data growth continues, organizations are demanding real-time access to data, allowing immed...
Jan. 31, 2015 03:00 AM EST Reads: 3,500
The 3rd International Internet of @ThingsExpo, co-located with the 16th International Cloud Expo - to be held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY - announces that its Call for Papers is now open. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the biggest idea since the creation of the Worldwide Web more than 20 years ago.
Jan. 31, 2015 02:00 AM EST Reads: 8,099
Scott Jenson leads a project called The Physical Web within the Chrome team at Google. Project members are working to take the scalability and openness of the web and use it to talk to the exponentially exploding range of smart devices. Nearly every company today working on the IoT comes up with the same basic solution: use my server and you'll be fine. But if we really believe there will be trillions of these devices, that just can't scale. We need a system that is open a scalable and by using ...
Jan. 31, 2015 02:00 AM EST Reads: 3,111
Things are being built upon cloud foundations to transform organizations. This CEO Power Panel at 15th Cloud Expo, moderated by Roger Strukhoff, Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo conference chair, addressed the big issues involving these technologies and, more important, the results they will achieve. Rodney Rogers, chairman and CEO of Virtustream; Brendan O'Brien, co-founder of Aria Systems, Bart Copeland, president and CEO of ActiveState Software; Jim Cowie, chief scientist at Dyn; Dave Wagstaff, VP ...
Jan. 31, 2015 01:00 AM EST Reads: 2,852
In their session at @ThingsExpo, Shyam Varan Nath, Principal Architect at GE, and Ibrahim Gokcen, who leads GE's advanced IoT analytics, focused on the Internet of Things / Industrial Internet and how to make it operational for business end-users. Learn about the challenges posed by machine and sensor data and how to marry it with enterprise data. They also discussed the tips and tricks to provide the Industrial Internet as an end-user consumable service using Big Data Analytics and Industrial C...
Jan. 31, 2015 01:00 AM EST Reads: 2,955
How do APIs and IoT relate? The answer is not as simple as merely adding an API on top of a dumb device, but rather about understanding the architectural patterns for implementing an IoT fabric. There are typically two or three trends: Exposing the device to a management framework Exposing that management framework to a business centric logic Exposing that business layer and data to end users. This last trend is the IoT stack, which involves a new shift in the separation of what stuff happe...
Jan. 31, 2015 12:30 AM EST Reads: 3,096
"For the past 4 years we have been working mainly to export. For the last 3 or 4 years the main market was Russia. In the past year we have been working to expand our footprint in Europe and the United States," explained Andris Gailitis, CEO of DEAC, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at Cloud Expo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Jan. 30, 2015 11:45 PM EST Reads: 2,670
The 4th International DevOps Summit, co-located with16th International Cloud Expo – being held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY – announces that its Call for Papers is now open. Born out of proven success in agile development, cloud computing, and process automation, DevOps is a macro trend you cannot afford to miss. From showcase success stories from early adopters and web-scale businesses, DevOps is expanding to organizations of all sizes, including the world's large...
Jan. 30, 2015 11:00 PM EST Reads: 3,777