|By Marketwired .||
|June 11, 2014 07:39 PM EDT||
WASHINGTON, DC -- (Marketwired) -- 06/11/14 -- Men now can take an easy step toward protecting their well-being, vitality, and quality of life by checking their hearing online at www.BetterHearing.org, says the Better Hearing Institute (BHI). In light of increasing evidence that hearing loss is linked to other men's health issues, BHI is urging men of all ages to address their hearing health for Men's Health Month in June.
The free, confidential, online hearing check at www.BetterHearing.org helps men take the first step to addressing their hearing health in the privacy of their own homes, and helps them determine if they need a comprehensive hearing test by a hearing healthcare professional.
Addressing hearing loss can help men stay active, feel younger, and remain socially and professionally engaged. Hearing their best helps men in all aspects of their lives -- on the job, in relationships, in their families, and in their communities. Fortunately, today's high-tech hearing aids can benefit the vast majority of men with hearing loss. They're sleek, sophisticated, and among the "firsts" in leading-edge wearable technology.
Hearing Loss & Other Health Issues
Men of all ages need to pay attention to their hearing health. The number of younger men with hearing loss is increasing. And the body of evidence that hearing loss is linked to other health concerns is growing.
More and more researchers are finding that hearing loss is associated with a broad range of chronic diseases and health conditions. In fact, sleep apnea -- a significant men's health issue -- was recently added to the growing list, which already includes diabetes, cardiovascular disease, depression, and dementia, among others.
A new study -- led by Amit Chopra, MD, an expert in pulmonary medicine at the Albany Medical Center in New York, and presented at the American Thoracic Society's 2014 International Conference -- found that sleep apnea is significantly associated with hearing loss at both high and low frequencies.
"Our findings suggest that sleep apnea is a systemic disease and is associated with increased risk of hearing loss, along with a number of diseases like diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, and stroke. I encourage people with sleep apnea to be educated and tested for hearing loss."
For more information on hearing loss and why healthy hearing is an important part of a man's overall health and quality of life, visit www.BetterHearing.org. For more information on Men's Health Month, visit www.MensHealthMonth.org.
BHI reminds men that that there are simple things they can do to protect their hearing. Listening to smartphones and MP3 players only at a low volume, and wearing earplugs in noisy environments -- like sporting events, clubs, concerts, or when using power tools and riding motorcycles -- are examples.
10 Good Reasons Why Men Should Get Their Hearing Tested
1) Unaddressed hearing loss negatively affects quality of life. Research shows that hearing loss is frequently associated with other physical, mental, and emotional health conditions. But men who address their hearing loss often experience better quality of life.
2) Hearing loss is tied to depression. Studies show that hearing loss is associated with an increased risk of depression in adults of all ages, but is most pronounced in 18 to 69 year olds. Research also shows that the use of hearing aids reduces depressive symptoms. http://ow.ly/vvZEz & http://ow.ly/vWv7m
3) Your hearing may say something about your heart. Cardiovascular and hearing health are linked. Some experts say the inner ear is so sensitive to blood flow that it's possible that abnormalities in the cardiovascular system could be noted here earlier than in other less sensitive parts of the body. http://ow.ly/xTMAp
4) Hearing loss is twice as common in people with diabetes. Studies show that people with diabetes are twice as likely to have hearing loss. When broken down by age, one study showed that those 60 and younger are at greater risk. http://ow.ly/xvn6
5) Hearing loss is tied to sleep apnea. Sleep apnea is more prevalent in men than in women. A new study found that sleep apnea is significantly associated with hearing loss at both high and low frequencies. http://ow.ly/xRCNM
6) Cancer treatments can damage hearing. Certain chemotherapy treatments for cancer may damage healthy cochlear hair cells found in the inner ear and result in hearing loss. http://ow.ly/vwlEi
7) Hearing loss may put you at greater risk of falling or hospitalization. A pair of Johns Hopkins' studies found that people with even just mild hearing loss were nearly three times more likely to have a history of falling, and that hospitalization is more likely for older adults with hearing loss. http://ow.ly/vwchC & http://ow.ly/vwbZe
8) Addressing hearing loss may benefit long-term cognitive function. Research shows a link between hearing loss and dementia, leading experts to believe that interventions, like hearing aids, could potentially delay or prevent dementia. Research is ongoing. http://ow.ly/vCFDW & http://ow.ly/vCG54
9) Hearing loss in men is tied to common pain relievers. Researchers found that regular use of aspirin, NSAIDs, or acetaminophen increases the risk of hearing loss in men, and for younger men, the impact is even greater. http://ow.ly/xRDMz
10) Addressing hearing loss may help protect your earnings. A BHI study showed that people with untreated hearing loss lose as much as $30,000 in income annually, depending on their degree of hearing loss. But the use of hearing aids reduced the risk of income loss dramatically -- by 90 to 100 percent for those with milder hearing loss, and from 65 to 77 percent for those whose hearing loss was severe to moderate.
Five Things Every Man Should Know About Hearing Aids
1) They're virtually invisible. Many of today's hearing aids sit discreetly and comfortably inside your ear canal, providing both natural sound quality, and discreet and easy use.
2) They automatically adjust to all kinds of soundscapes. Whether it's easy conversation in a crowded restaurant, or the chirp of crickets on a late summer's evening you're after, recent technological advances have made hearing aids far more versatile than ever before -- and in a broad range of sound environments.
3) You can do water sports and sweat while wearing them. Waterproof, digital hearing aids have arrived. This new feature is built into some newly designed hearing aids for those concerned about water, humidity, and dust. This feature suits the active lifestyles of swimmers, skiers, snowboarders, intensive sports enthusiasts, and anyone working in dusty, demanding environments.
4) They love your smartphone, home entertainment system, and other prized electronics. Wireless, digital hearing aids are now the norm. That means seamless connectivity -- directly into your hearing aid(s) at volumes that are just right for you -- from your smartphone, television, and other beloved high-tech gadgets. What's more, you own the volume. No one around you needs to be affected.
5) They're always at the ready. A new rechargeable feature on some newly designed hearing aids allows you to recharge your hearing aids every night, so they're ramped up for you in the morning. There's no more fumbling with small batteries. Just place the hearing aids into the charger at night, and they're ready to go in the morning.
Better Hearing Institute (BHI)
The 4th International DevOps Summit, co-located with16th International Cloud Expo – being held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY – announces that its Call for Papers is now open. Born out of proven success in agile development, cloud computing, and process automation, DevOps is a macro trend you cannot afford to miss. From showcase success stories from early adopters and web-scale businesses, DevOps is expanding to organizations of all sizes, including the world's large...
Nov. 23, 2014 12:30 PM EST Reads: 1,272
"There is a natural synchronization between the business models, the IoT is there to support ,” explained Brendan O'Brien, Co-founder and Chief Architect of Aria Systems, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at the 15th International Cloud Expo®, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Nov. 23, 2014 12:00 PM EST Reads: 1,556
Verizon Enterprise Solutions is simplifying the cloud-purchasing experience for its clients, with the launch of Verizon Cloud Marketplace, a key foundational component of the company's robust ecosystem of enterprise-class technologies. The online storefront will initially feature pre-built cloud-based services from AppDynamics, Hitachi Data Systems, Juniper Networks, PfSense and Tervela. Available globally to enterprises using Verizon Cloud, Verizon Cloud Marketplace provides a one-stop shop fo...
Nov. 23, 2014 11:00 AM EST Reads: 1,234
Leysin American School is an exclusive, private boarding school located in Leysin, Switzerland. Leysin selected an OpenStack-powered, private cloud as a service to manage multiple applications and provide development environments for students across the institution. Seeking to meet rigid data sovereignty and data integrity requirements while offering flexible, on-demand cloud resources to users, Leysin identified OpenStack as the clear choice to round out the school's cloud strategy. Additional...
Nov. 23, 2014 08:00 AM EST Reads: 1,360
The major cloud platforms defy a simple, side-by-side analysis. Each of the major IaaS public-cloud platforms offers their own unique strengths and functionality. Options for on-site private cloud are diverse as well, and must be designed and deployed while taking existing legacy architecture and infrastructure into account. Then the reality is that most enterprises are embarking on a hybrid cloud strategy and programs. In this Power Panel at 15th Cloud Expo (http://www.CloudComputingExpo.com...
Nov. 23, 2014 07:45 AM EST Reads: 1,410
We are all here because we are sold on the transformative promise of The Cloud. But what good is all of this ephemeral, on-demand infrastructure if your usage doesn't actually improve the agility and speed of your business? How must Operations adapt in order to avoid stifling your Cloud initiative? In his session at DevOps Summit, Damon Edwards, co-founder and managing partner of the DTO Solutions, will highlight the successful organizational, process, and tooling patterns of high-performing c...
Nov. 23, 2014 02:00 AM EST Reads: 1,129
The definition of IoT is not new, in fact it’s been around for over a decade. What has changed is the public's awareness that the technology we use on a daily basis has caught up on the vision of an always on, always connected world. If you look into the details of what comprises the IoT, you’ll see that it includes everything from cloud computing, Big Data analytics, “Things,” Web communication, applications, network, storage, etc. It is essentially including everything connected online from ha...
Nov. 22, 2014 10:00 PM EST Reads: 1,243
Software-driven innovation is becoming a primary approach to how businesses create and deliver new value to customers. A survey of 400 business and IT executives by the IBM Institute for Business Value showed businesses that are more effective at software delivery are also more profitable than their peers nearly 70 percent of the time (1). DevOps provides a way for businesses to remain competitive, applying lean and agile principles to software development to speed the delivery of software that ...
Nov. 22, 2014 08:00 PM EST Reads: 1,481
Docker offers a new, lightweight approach to application portability. Applications are shipped using a common container format and managed with a high-level API. Their processes run within isolated namespaces that abstract the operating environment independently of the distribution, versions, network setup, and other details of this environment. This "containerization" has often been nicknamed "the new virtualization." But containers are more than lightweight virtual machines. Beyond their small...
Nov. 22, 2014 06:45 PM EST Reads: 1,269
The move in recent years to cloud computing services and architectures has added significant pace to the application development and deployment environment. When enterprise IT can spin up large computing instances in just minutes, developers can also design and deploy in small time frames that were unimaginable a few years ago. The consequent move toward lean, agile, and fast development leads to the need for the development and operations sides to work very closely together. Thus, DevOps become...
Nov. 22, 2014 05:45 PM EST Reads: 1,394
ARMONK, N.Y., Nov. 20, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- IBM (NYSE: IBM) today announced that it is bringing a greater level of control, security and flexibility to cloud-based application development and delivery with a single-tenant version of Bluemix, IBM's
An entirely new security model is needed for the Internet of Things, or is it? Can we save some old and tested controls for this new and different environment? In his session at @ThingsExpo, New York's at the Javits Center, Davi Ottenheimer, EMC Senior Director of Trust, reviewed hands-on lessons with IoT devices and reveal a new risk balance you might not expect. Davi Ottenheimer, EMC Senior Director of Trust, has more than nineteen years' experience managing global security operations and asse...
Nov. 22, 2014 05:30 PM EST Reads: 1,219
Explosive growth in connected devices. Enormous amounts of data for collection and analysis. Critical use of data for split-second decision making and actionable information. All three are factors in making the Internet of Things a reality. Yet, any one factor would have an IT organization pondering its infrastructure strategy. How should your organization enhance its IT framework to enable an Internet of Things implementation? In his session at Internet of @ThingsExpo, James Kirkland, Chief Ar...
Nov. 21, 2014 09:15 PM EST Reads: 1,309
Technology is enabling a new approach to collecting and using data. This approach, commonly referred to as the "Internet of Things" (IoT), enables businesses to use real-time data from all sorts of things including machines, devices and sensors to make better decisions, improve customer service, and lower the risk in the creation of new revenue opportunities. In his General Session at Internet of @ThingsExpo, Dave Wagstaff, Vice President and Chief Architect at BSQUARE Corporation, discuss the ...
Nov. 21, 2014 08:00 PM EST Reads: 1,388