|By Marketwired .||
|June 16, 2014 11:54 AM EDT||
MILWAUKEE, WI -- (Marketwired) -- 06/16/14 -- Home is where the heart is, and also, where the people and possessions most important to consumers reside. Yet, nearly half of North Americans (44 percent) don't take any security precautions other than locking their windows and doors to keep these items safe.* With the start of summer and families more likely to be enjoying the outdoors -- either at home or away -- Master Lock is reminding consumers of simple security precautions to ensure their home remains a safe haven.
"Safety starts and ends at home," said Rebecca Smith of Master Lock, a leading manufacturer of innovative safety and security solutions. "There's no better time to incorporate safe practices into your family's routine to ensure a safe and memorable summer."
Master Lock offers its top six tips for home security:
1. Make Your Backyard a Safe Place - Remember to put garden tools and lawn mowers away in a locked place after use. Un-stored tools could cause a fall or tempt young children to use them as toys. Secure your shed or garage door with a high-security, weather-resistant lock, such as the Master Lock Magnum Laminated Padlock. Not only does this deter kids from using tools as toys, it also guards lawn equipment from theft.
2. Sleep Safely with Windows Open - Sleeping with open windows provides a cool breeze for pleasant rest and helps many people sleep better. Even better, it lessens the chance of succumbing to carbon monoxide poisoning, a dangerous nighttime killer. Unfortunately, it also provides easy access to your home for intruders. Before enjoying this summertime routine, take proactive measurers to ensure you do so safely. If you use a home security system (only 14 percent of North Americans do*), ensure it provides window security coverage. Otherwise, use a window blocking device that prevents windows from opening more than six inches, and ensure windows cannot be accessed from outside. While you're sleeping, ensure all doors are locked, and safeguard patio doors from intruders with Master Lock's Door Security Bar.
3. Designate a Family Meeting Spot - More than half of North Americans (54 percent) have not designated a meeting spot in case of a house fire.* Set one with your family now so you're prepared should a fire ever strike. It's also good practice to designate a meeting spot whenever you're away from home. Whether you are at a carnival, park or away on vacation, always come up with a plan of where to meet. This will give you peace of mind in case someone in your family is separated from the group.
4. Check Your Smoke Detectors - Properly installed and maintained smoke detectors save lives and protect against injury and loss due to fire.** Yet, only seven percent of North Americans test smoke detectors monthly* -- the recommended frequency to ensure they're always working correctly. Replace batteries yearly or as soon as you hear a low-battery warning sound that usually sounds like a chirping noise. Smoke alarms should be replaced completely every 10 years.
5. Create Backups- With busy summer schedules, it's easy to forget your keys before leaving the house. To avoid being locked out of your house, make extra copies of your keys, and keep them in a secure spot. The Master Lock Storage Security Lock Box allows you to store your extra key and have it be accessible only by those who know the combination.
6. Prepare for the Unexpected - Technology today makes it easier than ever to ensure you're never waiting in line at an urgent care clinic without your child's insurance information or forgetting passwords to your online accounts. Store digital copies of your family's important medical and identification information in the free and secure Master Lock Vault for easy access from your smart phone on the go.
About Master Lock
The Master Lock Company LLC is recognized around the world as the authentic, enduring name in padlocks and security products. Master Lock Company offers a broad range of innovative security and safety solutions for consumer, commercial, and industrial end users. Master Lock Company LLC is an operating unit of Fortune Brands Home & Security, Inc., a leading consumer brands company. Headquartered in Deerfield, Ill., Fortune Brands Home & Security, Inc. (NYSE: FBHS) is included in the S&P MidCap 400 Index. For more information about Master Lock, visit www.masterlock.com.
*According to a May 2014 Safety and Security Survey of more than 1,000 North Americans conducted by Master Lock via SurveyMonkey.
**According to the American Red Cross.
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2616619
Cloud services are the newest tool in the arsenal of IT products in the market today. These cloud services integrate process and tools. In order to use these products effectively, organizations must have a good understanding of themselves and their business requirements. In his session at 15th Cloud Expo, Brian Lewis, Principal Architect at Verizon Cloud, outlined key areas of organizational focus, and how to formalize an actionable plan when migrating applications and internal services to the ...
Jan. 25, 2015 10:15 AM EST Reads: 1,971
"SOASTA built the concept of cloud testing in 2008. It's grown from rather meager beginnings to where now we are provisioning hundreds of thousands of servers on a daily basis on behalf of customers around the world to test their applications," explained Tom Lounibos, CEO of SOASTA, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at DevOps Summit, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Jan. 25, 2015 10:15 AM EST Reads: 2,031
The speed of product development has increased massively in the past 10 years. At the same time our formal secure development and SDL methodologies have fallen behind. This forces product developers to choose between rapid release times and security. In his session at DevOps Summit, Michael Murray, Director of Cyber Security Consulting and Assessment at GE Healthcare, examined the problems and presented some solutions for moving security into the DevOps lifecycle to ensure that we get fast AND ...
Jan. 25, 2015 10:00 AM EST Reads: 2,137
SYS-CON Events announced today Isomorphic Software, the global leader in high-end, web-based business applications, will exhibit at SYS-CON's DevOps Summit 2015 New York, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Isomorphic Software is the global leader in high-end, web-based business applications. We develop, market, and support the SmartClient & Smart GWT HTML5/Ajax platform, combining the productivity and performance of traditional desktop software ...
Jan. 25, 2015 10:00 AM EST Reads: 2,654
SYS-CON Media announced today that PagerDuty has launched a popular blog feed on DevOps Journal. DevOps Journal is focused on this critical enterprise IT topic in the world of cloud computing. DevOps Journal brings valuable information to DevOps professionals who are transforming the way enterprise IT is done.
Jan. 25, 2015 10:00 AM EST Reads: 1,269
“We are a managed services company. We have taken the key aspects of the cloud and the purposed data center and merged the two together and launched the Purposed Cloud about 18–24 months ago," explained Chetan Patwardhan, CEO of Stratogent, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 15th Cloud Expo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Jan. 25, 2015 10:00 AM EST Reads: 1,776
Disruptive macro trends in technology are impacting and dramatically changing the "art of the possible" relative to supply chain management practices through the innovative use of IoT, cloud, machine learning and Big Data to enable connected ecosystems of engagement. Enterprise informatics can now move beyond point solutions that merely monitor the past and implement integrated enterprise fabrics that enable end-to-end supply chain visibility to improve customer service delivery and optimize sup...
Jan. 25, 2015 10:00 AM EST Reads: 2,750
Vormetric on Wednesday announced the results of its 2015 Insider Threat Report (ITR), conducted online on their behalf by Harris Poll and in conjunction with analyst firm Ovum in fall 2014 among 818 IT decision makers in various countries, including 408 in the United States. The report details striking findings around how U.S. and international enterprises perceive security threats, the types of employees considered most dangerous, environments at the greatest risk for data loss and the steps or...
Jan. 25, 2015 10:00 AM EST Reads: 1,375
“DevOps is really about the business. The business is under pressure today, competitively in the marketplace to respond to the expectations of the customer. The business is driving IT and the problem is that IT isn't responding fast enough," explained Mark Levy, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Serena Software, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at DevOps Summit, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Jan. 25, 2015 10:00 AM EST Reads: 2,082
SYS-CON Events announced today that CodeFutures, a leading supplier of database performance tools, has been named a “Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9–11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York, NY. CodeFutures is an independent software vendor focused on providing tools that deliver database performance tools that increase productivity during database development and increase database performance and scalability during production.
Jan. 25, 2015 10:00 AM EST Reads: 1,451
"Verizon Digital Media Services is responsible for the broadcast, video and content delivery network that accelerates, scales and helps our customers reach end users with all kinds of video and web content," stated James Segil, CMO of Verizon Digital Media Services, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 15th Cloud Expo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Jan. 25, 2015 10:00 AM EST Reads: 1,834
Docker is becoming very popular--we are seeing every major private and public cloud vendor racing to adopt it. It promises portability and interoperability, and is quickly becoming the currency of the Cloud. In his session at DevOps Summit, Bart Copeland, CEO of ActiveState, discussed why Docker is so important to the future of the cloud, but will also take a step back and show that Docker is actually only one piece of the puzzle. Copeland will outline the bigger picture of where Docker fits a...
Jan. 25, 2015 10:00 AM EST Reads: 2,462
The Internet of Things is a misnomer. That implies that everything is on the Internet, and that simply should not be - especially for things that are blurring the line between medical devices that stimulate like a pacemaker and quantified self-sensors like a pedometer or pulse tracker. The mesh of things that we manage must be segmented into zones of trust for sensing data, transmitting data, receiving command and control administrative changes, and peer-to-peer mesh messaging. In his session a...
Jan. 25, 2015 10:00 AM EST Reads: 1,968
You use an agile process; your goal is to make your organization more agile. But what about your data infrastructure? The truth is, today's databases are anything but agile - they are effectively static repositories that are cumbersome to work with, difficult to change, and cannot keep pace with application demands. Performance suffers as a result, and it takes far longer than it should to deliver new features and capabilities needed to make your organization competitive. As your application an...
Jan. 25, 2015 09:30 AM EST Reads: 1,780
“We are strong believers in the DevOps movement and our staff has been doing DevOps for large enterprise environments for a number of years. The solution that we build is intended to allow DevOps teams to do security at the speed of DevOps," explained Justin Lundy, Founder & CTO of Evident.io, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at DevOps Summit, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Jan. 25, 2015 09:30 AM EST Reads: 1,783