|By Marketwired .||
|June 18, 2014 08:00 AM EDT||
MOUNTAIN VIEW, CA -- (Marketwired) -- 06/18/14 -- Today eHealth, Inc. (NASDAQ: EHTH) (eHealthInsurance.com), the nation's first and largest private online health insurance exchange, released results from a survey exploring young adults' attitudes toward health insurance costs and the Affordable Care Act (ACA). The survey was conducted in April and May of 2014, following the ACA's first open enrollment period. According to the company's analysis of responses from 220 young adults and recent grads aged 18 to 25 who purchased plans through eHealth, more than six-in-ten (62%) report that their health insurance premiums are more costly than they can comfortably afford. Nearly three-quarters (73%) say that their annual deductibles are more costly than they can comfortably afford.
When asked to describe a monthly health insurance premium they would be comfortable paying, more than two-thirds (69%) say they would only be comfortable with a monthly premium of $100 or less. More than half (56%) indicate that they would only be comfortable with an annual deductible of less than $1,000 dollars.
By contrast, eHealth's recent Health Insurance Price Index report shows that young adults ages 18-24 who purchased individual coverage through eHealth during the recent nationwide open enrollment period paid an average monthly premium of $146 and had an average annual deductible of $4,955.
Highlights from eHealth's survey of young adult policy holders are provided below.
Young Adult Policy Holder Demographics and Lifestyle
- Almost half (49%) of survey respondents report that they are currently working full time, while 18% say that they are working part-time; one-quarter (25%) indicate that they are currently in school; only 5% report being unemployed.
- Nearly two-thirds of respondents (65%) indicate that they are either in college currently or else graduated from college within the past two years.
- When asked whether they would prefer to live at home with their parents and have health insurance or live alone and go uninsured, a majority (56%) report that they would prefer to live on their own even if it meant that they had to go uninsured.
- Nearly two-thirds (65%) say that on a first date they would be less attracted to a person who did not have health insurance.
Reasons for Buying Health Insurance and Shopping through eHealth
- When asked to choose from one of three options, about one-third (33%) of respondents say that they were motivated to purchase health insurance by the tax penalty they might face for going uninsured; a third (33%) also indicate that the need for health care motivated them to buy; another third (34%*) say that it was fear of being uninsured that motivated them to buy coverage.
- When asked why they chose to shop through eHealth rather than through a government health insurance exchange, one third (33%) say that they shopped through eHealth because it offered them more coverage choices; more than a quarter (28%) say that they chose eHealth because they didn't qualify for a government subsidy; a similar number (27%) say they did not purchase through a government exchange because the government health insurance exchange didn't work.
Feelings about the Affordable Care Act (the ACA)
- Almost two-thirds (63%) report that the ACA caused their monthly health insurance premiums to increase; only one-in-ten (10%) indicate that the ACA caused their monthly premiums to decrease.
- Nearly half (48%) indicate that the ACA caused their annual deductible to increase; only 6% report that the ACA caused their deductible to decrease.
- More than six-in-ten (63%) state that they had to change their health insurance plans as a result of the ACA; almost a third (30%) say that they had to change their doctor.
On Costs and Their Current Coverage
- More than half (59%) of respondents say that they are happy or somewhat happy with their current health insurance plan; 41% indicate that they are unhappy with their plan.
- More than six-in-ten (62%) say that their current health insurance premiums are more expensive than they can comfortably afford.
- When asked what monthly health insurance premium they would be comfortable paying, more than two-thirds (69%) report that they would only be comfortable paying a monthly premium of $100 or less.
- Nearly three-quarters (73%) say that their annual deductible is higher than they can comfortably afford; more than six-in-ten (64%) say that they do not have enough money saved to pay their current annual deductible if they were required to do so.
- A majority of respondents (56%) say that they would only be comfortable with an annual deductible of less than $1,000.
The results and analysis above are based on an eHealth customer survey conducted between April 24, 2014 and May 23, 2014. Participation was voluntary and a total of 220 responses were collected from health insurance policy holders between the ages of 18 and 25 who had purchased their health insurance plan through eHealth. Survey results expressed in percentages have been rounded to the nearest full percentage point.
* Percentages may add up to slightly more or less than 100 due to rounding.
eHealth, Inc. (NASDAQ: EHTH) operates eHealthInsurance.com, the Nation's first and largest private health insurance exchange where individuals, families and small businesses can compare health insurance products from leading insurers side by side and purchase and enroll in coverage online. eHealthInsurance offers thousands of individual, family and small business health plans underwritten by more than 200 of the nation's leading health insurance companies. eHealthInsurance is licensed to sell health insurance in all 50 states and the District of Columbia. eHealth, Inc. also provides powerful online and pharmacy-based tools to help Medicare beneficiaries navigate Medicare health insurance options, choose the right plan and enroll in select plans online through PlanPrescriber.com (www.planprescriber.com) and eHealthMedicare.com (www.eHealthMedicare.com).
The 3rd International Internet of @ThingsExpo, co-located with the 16th International Cloud Expo - to be held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY - announces that its Call for Papers is now open. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the biggest idea since the creation of the Worldwide Web more than 20 years ago.
Dec. 27, 2014 05:15 AM EST Reads: 2,181
In her General Session at 15th Cloud Expo, Anne Plese, Senior Consultant, Cloud Product Marketing, at Verizon Enterprise, focused on finding the right mix of renting vs. buying Oracle capacity to scale to meet business demands, and offer validated Oracle database TCO models for Oracle development and testing environments. Anne Plese is a marketing and technology enthusiast/realist with over 19+ years in high tech. At Verizon Enterprise, she focuses on driving growth for the Verizon Cloud platfo...
Dec. 27, 2014 04:00 AM EST Reads: 2,522
The Internet of Things will put IT to its ultimate test by creating infinite new opportunities to digitize products and services, generate and analyze new data to improve customer satisfaction, and discover new ways to gain a competitive advantage across nearly every industry. In order to help corporate business units to capitalize on the rapidly evolving IoT opportunities, IT must stand up to a new set of challenges. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Jeff Kaplan, Managing Director of THINKstrateg...
Dec. 27, 2014 03:00 AM EST Reads: 1,792
SYS-CON Events announced today Isomorphic Software, the global leader in high-end, web-based business applications, will exhibit at SYS-CON's DevOps Summit 2015 New York, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Isomorphic Software is the global leader in high-end, web-based business applications. We develop, market, and support the SmartClient & Smart GWT HTML5/Ajax platform, combining the productivity and performance of traditional desktop software ...
Dec. 27, 2014 03:00 AM EST Reads: 1,785
The Internet of Things is tied together with a thin strand that is known as time. Coincidentally, at the core of nearly all data analytics is a timestamp. When working with time series data there are a few core principles that everyone should consider, especially across datasets where time is the common boundary. In his session at Internet of @ThingsExpo, Jim Scott, Director of Enterprise Strategy & Architecture at MapR Technologies, discussed single-value, geo-spatial, and log time series dat...
Dec. 27, 2014 02:00 AM EST Reads: 2,231
Dec. 27, 2014 12:00 AM EST Reads: 2,627
There's Big Data, then there's really Big Data from the Internet of Things. IoT is evolving to include many data possibilities like new types of event, log and network data. The volumes are enormous, generating tens of billions of logs per day, which raise data challenges. Early IoT deployments are relying heavily on both the cloud and managed service providers to navigate these challenges. In her session at Big Data Expo®, Hannah Smalltree, Director at Treasure Data, discussed how IoT, Big D...
Dec. 26, 2014 04:00 PM EST Reads: 2,246
SYS-CON Events announced today that Gridstore™, the leader in hyper-converged infrastructure purpose-built to optimize Microsoft workloads, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Gridstore™ is the leader in hyper-converged infrastructure purpose-built for Microsoft workloads and designed to accelerate applications in virtualized environments. Gridstore’s hyper-converged infrastructure is the ...
Dec. 26, 2014 04:00 PM EST Reads: 1,879
The 4th International DevOps Summit, co-located with16th International Cloud Expo – being held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY – announces that its Call for Papers is now open. Born out of proven success in agile development, cloud computing, and process automation, DevOps is a macro trend you cannot afford to miss. From showcase success stories from early adopters and web-scale businesses, DevOps is expanding to organizations of all sizes, including the world's large...
Dec. 26, 2014 01:00 PM EST Reads: 2,668
The Internet of Things promises to transform businesses (and lives), but navigating the business and technical path to success can be difficult to understand. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Sean Lorenz, Technical Product Manager for Xively at LogMeIn, demonstrated how to approach creating broadly successful connected customer solutions using real world business transformation studies including New England BioLabs and more.
Dec. 26, 2014 01:00 PM EST Reads: 2,090
WebRTC defines no default signaling protocol, causing fragmentation between WebRTC silos. SIP and XMPP provide possibilities, but come with considerable complexity and are not designed for use in a web environment. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Matthew Hodgson, technical co-founder of the Matrix.org, discussed how Matrix is a new non-profit Open Source Project that defines both a new HTTP-based standard for VoIP & IM signaling and provides reference implementations.
Dec. 26, 2014 12:30 PM EST Reads: 1,917
Dec. 26, 2014 12:00 PM EST Reads: 1,756
Explosive growth in connected devices. Enormous amounts of data for collection and analysis. Critical use of data for split-second decision making and actionable information. All three are factors in making the Internet of Things a reality. Yet, any one factor would have an IT organization pondering its infrastructure strategy. How should your organization enhance its IT framework to enable an Internet of Things implementation? In his session at Internet of @ThingsExpo, James Kirkland, Chief Ar...
Dec. 26, 2014 11:15 AM EST Reads: 2,418
"SAP had made a big transition into the cloud as we believe it has significant value for our customers, drives innovation and is easy to consume. When you look at the SAP portfolio, SAP HANA is the underlying platform and it powers all of our platforms and all of our analytics," explained Thorsten Leiduck, VP ISVs & Digital Commerce at SAP, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 15th Cloud Expo, held Nov 4-6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 26, 2014 11:00 AM EST Reads: 1,859
SAP is delivering break-through innovation combined with fantastic user experience powered by the market-leading in-memory technology, SAP HANA. In his General Session at 15th Cloud Expo, Thorsten Leiduck, VP ISVs & Digital Commerce, SAP, discussed how SAP and partners provide cloud and hybrid cloud solutions as well as real-time Big Data offerings that help companies of all sizes and industries run better. SAP launched an application challenge to award the most innovative SAP HANA and SAP HANA...
Dec. 26, 2014 11:00 AM EST Reads: 2,060