|By Marketwired .||
|June 25, 2014 12:00 PM EDT||
SACRAMENTO, CA -- (Marketwired) -- 06/25/14 -- e.Republic's Center for Digital Education (CDE) will present the second-annual Digital Content and Curriculum Achievement Awards (DCCAA) for K-12 at the International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE) 2014 conference in Atlanta on June 30.
"We are excited to announce the honorees of the 2014 Digital Content and Curriculum Achievement Awards," said Alan Cox, Senior Vice President for the Center for Digital Education. "This year's winners are leveraging the power of digital content and curriculum in creative ways that enhance and personalize learning. They offer innovative examples for other schools to emulate. The Center for Digital Education congratulates them all for their leadership in moving education forward!"
The awardees are using technology to advance digital curriculum and content in exciting ways. Here are some highlights:
- Highline School District, Wash., has seen a dramatic increase in elementary math scores with the use of adaptive digital tools. Since 2012-13, all K-8 students have accessed an adaptive digital math partner for 90 minutes a week. Internal data show students made at least 75 percent progress toward completing their syllabus work and were 38 percent more likely to pass state exams than students with less syllabus progress. At sixth grade, test scores increased from 15 points below the state average to 2 points above.
- In Florida, Broward County Public Schools' Digital 5 Pathway to Personalized Learning program gives fifth graders in selected schools daily access to a digital curriculum, digital devices and digital tools for learning. A unique approach to a one-to-one initiative, Digital 5 combines new reading and mathematics curricula with a blended learning environment that personalizes instruction and allows for self-paced learning. Preliminary evaluation results have shown high student engagement, increased attendance and a significant decline in student behavioral issues. These results have led to Broward to double the number of Digital 5 schools for the upcoming year and add new programs to support sixth and ninth grade.
- Los Angeles Unified School District's Common Core Technology Project aims to provide all 600,000+ students with a device preloaded with digital content aligned to the Common Core State Standards. So far 76,000 devices have been deployed and thousands of teachers trained in their use and accompanying content. Currently digital curriculum in mathematics and English language arts is interactive and technology-enhanced. A substantial investment to increase the District's infrastructure was made to enable the use of a massive mobile device management system which is deploying applications to all District devices. A comprehensive security strategy allows the District to track and recover devices that are lost or stolen.
The K-12 honorees in each category:
K-12 Small-Medium District/School (up to 12,000 students)
- Encinitas Union School District, Calif. - One to One Digital Learning Program
- Henry County Public Schools, Va. - 21st Century Mobile Learning
- Leyden High School District 212, Ill. - Taking Learning to the Cloud: Leyden's 1:1 Program
- Monroe County Schools, Ga. - Mobile and Measurable Math
- Vail Unified School District, Ariz. - Beyond Textbooks
K-12 Large District/School (12,000 or more students)
- Atlanta Public Schools - Trekking through 21st Century Learning with myBackPack
- Broward County Public Schools, Fla. - Digital 5: Broward's Pathway to Personalized Learning
- Clark County School District, Nev. - E3 Project: Engage, Empower, Explore and District Technology Plan
- Highline School District, Wash. - BlendED: Adaptive Tools as a Pathway to Success
- Houston Independent School District - An Overarching Solution for 21st Century Learning
- Los Angeles Unified School District - Common Core Technology Project Leads 1:1 Initiative
- Metropolitan Nashville Public Schools, Tenn. - MNPS All Stars: Transforming Instruction with a Click of the Mouse
- Orange County Public Schools, Fla. - Cloud Connect
CDE thanks our Premier Sponsor, Samsung, and sponsors AMD, Infoblox and T-Mobile, for underwriting the 2014 Digital Content and Curriculum Achievement Awards.
About The Center for Digital Education
The Center for Digital Education (CDE) is a national research and advisory institute specializing in K-12 and higher education technology trends, policy, and funding. CDE provides education and industry leaders with decision support and actionable insight to help effectively incorporate new technologies in the 21st century.
CDE is a division of e.Republic, the nation's only media and research company focused exclusively on state and local government and education.
SYS-CON Events announced today that BMC will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. BMC delivers software solutions that help IT transform digital enterprises for the ultimate competitive business advantage. BMC has worked with thousands of leading companies to create and deliver powerful IT management services. From mainframe to cloud to mobile, BMC pairs high-speed digital innovation with robust...
May. 29, 2015 06:15 PM EDT Reads: 996
2015 predictions circa 1970: houses anticipate our needs and adapt, city infrastructure is citizen and situation aware, office buildings identify and preprocess you. Today smart buildings have no such collective conscience, no shared set of fundamental services to identify, predict and synchronize around us. LiveSpace and M2Mi are changing that. LiveSpace Smart Environment devices deliver over the M2Mi IoT Platform real time presence, awareness and intent analytics as a service to local connecte...
May. 29, 2015 04:27 PM EDT Reads: 420
High-performing enterprise Software Quality Assurance (SQA) teams validate systems that are ready for use - getting most actively involved as components integrate and form complete systems. These teams catch and report on defects, making sure the customer gets the best software possible. SQA teams have leveraged automation and virtualization to execute more thorough testing in less time - bringing Dev and Ops together, ensuring production readiness. Does the emergence of DevOps mean the end of E...
May. 29, 2015 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 5,308
Amazon and Google have built software-defined data centers (SDDCs) that deliver massively scalable services with great efficiency. Yet, building SDDCs has proven to be a near impossibility for companies without hyper-scale resources. In his session at 15th Cloud Expo, David Cauthron, CTO and Founder of NIMBOXX, highlighted how a mid-sized manufacturer of global industrial equipment bridged the gap from virtualization to software-defined services, streamlining operations and costs while connect...
May. 29, 2015 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,339
Container technology is sending shock waves through the world of cloud computing. Heralded as the 'next big thing,' containers provide software owners a consistent way to package their software and dependencies while infrastructure operators benefit from a standard way to deploy and run them. Containers present new challenges for tracking usage due to their dynamic nature. They can also be deployed to bare metal, virtual machines and various cloud platforms. How do software owners track the usag...
May. 29, 2015 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 833
The Industrial Internet revolution is now underway, enabled by connected machines and billions of devices that communicate and collaborate. The massive amounts of Big Data requiring real-time analysis is flooding legacy IT systems and giving way to cloud environments that can handle the unpredictable workloads. Yet many barriers remain until we can fully realize the opportunities and benefits from the convergence of machines and devices with Big Data and the cloud, including interoperability, ...
May. 29, 2015 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 4,800
paradigm shifts in networking, to cloud and licensure, and all the Internet of Things in between. In 2014 automation was the name of the game. In his session at DevOps Summit, Matthew Joyce, a Sales Engineer at Big Switch, will discuss why in 2015 it’s complexity reduction. Matthew Joyce, a sales engineer at Big Switch, is helping push networking into the 21st century. He is also a hacker at NYC Resistor. Previously he worked at NASA Ames Research Center with the Nebula Project (where OpenSta...
May. 29, 2015 03:21 PM EDT Reads: 474
The term culture has had a polarizing effect among DevOps supporters. Some propose that culture change is critical for success with DevOps, but are remiss to define culture. Some talk about a DevOps culture but then reference activities that could lead to culture change and there are those that talk about culture change as a set of behaviors that need to be adopted by those in IT. There is no question that businesses successful in adopting a DevOps mindset have seen departmental culture change, ...
May. 29, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 4,929
Discussions about cloud computing are evolving into discussions about enterprise IT in general. As enterprises increasingly migrate toward their own unique clouds, new issues such as the use of containers and microservices emerge to keep things interesting. In this Power Panel at 16th Cloud Expo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, panelists will address the state of cloud computing today, and what enterprise IT professionals need to know about how the latest topics and trends affec...
May. 29, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,494
Explosive growth in connected devices. Enormous amounts of data for collection and analysis. Critical use of data for split-second decision making and actionable information. All three are factors in making the Internet of Things a reality. Yet, any one factor would have an IT organization pondering its infrastructure strategy. How should your organization enhance its IT framework to enable an Internet of Things implementation? In this session, James Kirkland, Red Hat's Chief Architect for the ...
May. 29, 2015 02:33 PM EDT Reads: 452
While there are hundreds of public and private cloud hosting providers to choose from, not all clouds are created equal. If you’re seeking to host enterprise-level mission-critical applications, where Cloud Security is a primary concern, WHOA.com is setting new standards for cloud hosting, and has established itself as a major contender in the marketplace. We are constantly seeking ways to innovate and leverage state-of-the-art technologies. In his session at 16th Cloud Expo, Mike Rivera, Seni...
May. 29, 2015 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 947
The Internet of Things is tied together with a thin strand that is known as time. Coincidentally, at the core of nearly all data analytics is a timestamp. When working with time series data there are a few core principles that everyone should consider, especially across datasets where time is the common boundary. In his session at Internet of @ThingsExpo, Jim Scott, Director of Enterprise Strategy & Architecture at MapR Technologies, discussed single-value, geo-spatial, and log time series dat...
May. 29, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 6,440
We’re entering a new era of computing technology that many are calling the Internet of Things (IoT). Machine to machine, machine to infrastructure, machine to environment, the Internet of Everything, the Internet of Intelligent Things, intelligent systems – call it what you want, but it’s happening, and its potential is huge. IoT is comprised of smart machines interacting and communicating with other machines, objects, environments and infrastructures. As a result, huge volumes of data are bein...
May. 29, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 831
Cloud Expo, Inc. has announced today that Andi Mann returns to DevOps Summit 2015 as Conference Chair. The 4th International DevOps Summit will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City. "DevOps is set to be one of the most profound disruptions to hit IT in decades," said Andi Mann. "It is a natural extension of cloud computing, and I have seen both firsthand and in independent research the fantastic results DevOps delivers. So I am excited to help the great team at ...
May. 29, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,725
EMC Corporation on Tuesday announced it has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire privately held Virtustream. When the transaction closes, Virtustream will form EMC’s new managed cloud services business. The acquisition represents a transformational element of EMC’s strategy to help customers move all applications to cloud-based IT environments. With the addition of Virtustream, EMC completes the industry’s most comprehensive hybrid cloud portfolio to support all applications, all workl...
May. 29, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 926