|By Business Wire||
|June 26, 2014 12:09 PM EDT||
Research and Markets (http://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/ptqq5d/mems_and_sensors) has announced the addition of the "MEMS & Sensors for Mobile Phones and Tablets" report to their offering.
Competition between MEMS & Sensors players is fierce. How can new companies enter the fray and become successful?
In this report, you will discover more details about every MEMS & sensors device used in mobile phones and tablets.
Sensor fusion is the business's hottest topic!
Sensor hubs are now integrated in high volume: for example, Apple uses a sensor hub in the iPhone 5S. Sensor fusion valuation will increase in the next few years; Fairchild's acquisition of Xsens for $60M is the first example of such increase. Moreover, it will not be limited to basic function - data interpretation is also possible.
Different elements are required for sensor fusion, including MEMS, sensor hub, software, and low-power RF communication for transmission in some systems.
Sensor fusion could occur at different levels: in individual sensors, in sensor modules, in the sensor hub or in the application process. Yole Développement provides an in-depth analysis of these different possibilities and their value partitioning.
Sensor fusion can enable numerous new applications in mobile phones and tablets: indoor navigation, augmented reality applications and context awareness, which may enable an always-on sensor. This report provides detailed examples of these applications.
CMOS Image Sensors, ambient light sensors, proximity sensors, fingerprint sensors and biosensors : more sensor oppotunities for the mobile phones and tablets market !
We observed very strong growth for non-MEMS sensors, i.e. fingerprint sensors and CMOS image sensors.
The mobile phone market is by far the largest CIS application. In 2013, it represented 66% of the entire CMOS image sensor market in volume and 53% of total revenue. The mobile phone market has been strongly driven by the race towards higher resolution, aiming at reaching a DSC-like image quality for high-end smartphones. Omnivision, Samsung and Sony will continue to dominate this market due to their advanced technologies, large installed capacity and cost-optimized manufacturing machine.
Light sensors are also growing considerably at the moment. However, this market suffers from strong price erosion due to the low number of OEMs and a lack of innovative options. Combo sensors, long distance and gesture recognition are the three main ways to stabilize margins.
Key features of the report
- Strategy analysis of the mobile phone and tablet market
- Sensor fusion and sensor hub status, roadmap and applications
- Competitive landscape: market share, products split and evolution for each sensor
- Overview and synthesis of the MEMS in mobile phones and tablets market
- Detailed sensors applications, market metrics and dynamics, plus developments and future evolution: Inertial sensors, magnetometers and combos / Microphone and speakers / Pressure sensors and humidity sensors / BAW, RF-MEMS and silicon timing / Optical MEMS: micro mirrors, microdisplay,Autofocus, IR sensors / Emerging MEMS: Bio-chemical sensors, touchscreen, fuel cells, energy harvesting / Other sensors: CMOS image sensors, ALS, proximity sensors, fingerprint sensors
Key Topics Covered:
- Introduction, definitions & methodology
- Executive summary
- Trends in the mobile phone and tablet market, plus market drivers
- Sensor fusion and sensor hub
- MEMS players competitive landscape
- MEMS in mobile phones/tablets: 2013-2019 market overview
- Inertial sensors, magnetometers
- MEMS microphones and speakers
- Pressure and humidity sensors
- BAW, RF-MEMS and silicon timing
- Optical MEMS: Mirrors, display, AF, IR
- Emerging MEMS for mobile devices
- Other sensors in mobile phones (Non-MEMS technologies)
- Conclusion and perspectives
For more information visit http://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/ptqq5d/mems_and_sensors