|By Business Wire||
|July 14, 2014 07:02 AM EDT||
ShareStream, a leader in online video platforms and media management solutions for education (www.sharestream.com), has partnered with Desire2Learn (D2L)—the EdTech company that created the world’s first truly integrated learning platform—to offer an end-to-end solution for live and on-demand asynchronous media to institutions of higher education, K-12 schools and enterprises around the world. The partnership and integration come at a time when streaming video, lecture-capture, mobile media and other forms of digital-content—such as rich-media presentations, webcasting, audio, and media delivered via podcasts and RSS feeds—are rapidly reshaping the way online teaching and learning take place.
Instructors, instructional designers, media-services staff and students (if granted the required privileges) utilize the integrated D2L-ShareStream solution to:
- Record a live or on-demand presentation anytime/anywhere using one of D2L Capture’s multiple capture options, including computer hardware, software and web-based recording solutions;
- Easily upload content in the D2L Capture Portal to the ShareStream Platform, a turnkey media management system designed specifically for education that services instructional technology, the library, distance learning, campus communications and technology services in support of research, all from a single application;
- Add media assets stored in ShareStream to D2L Learning Environment web pages directly from the Insert Stuff feature in the Learning Environment, an option that is provided from all of the locations in Learning Environment where the D2L HTML Editor is available;
- Navigate across the three products’ environments with single sign-on, complete with role mapping.
“The ShareStream Platform’s integration with D2L Capture and the D2L Learning Environment streamlines and automates the workflow between systems for lecture or presentation capture, media management and online course delivery,” stated David Weinstein. “This will enable the educational-technology community to efficiently harness the boundless potential of media to transform user learning experiences as media usage for education reaches critical mass.”
“Video is one of the trends changing how we approach education. Media content has proven effective in helping to improve student engagement and enhancing the learning experience,” said Kenneth Chapman, VP Market Strategy, D2L. “The ShareStream integration with our platform enables clients to recognize the benefits of rich media as a part of the learning process.”
The dramatic growth in the use of media for education (as well as the growth in media adoption for scholarship and research, campus communications and online training) has been trigged by multiple factors, including:
- The pervasiveness of blended and fully online programs for remote learners;
- The emergence of flipped classrooms, as well as active learning;
- Rising interest in Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs);
- The continued expansion of digital libraries for cataloging, preservation and archiving of content.
ShareStream’s integration with D2L Capture follows ShareStream’s longstanding integration with the D2L Learning Environment, which allows users to access Pick-n-Play®, the faculty and student-facing application of the ShareStream Platform, and MediaManager, the ShareStream’s Platform’s administrative media-management system, directly within the Learning Environment.
Availability and Demonstration:
The ShareStream Platform’s integration with D2L Capture will be available for the Fall 2014 semester. ShareStream and representatives from D2L will demonstrate the ShareStream Platform’s integration with D2L’s Capture and Learning Environment products during a live webinar on Wednesday, August 6th. Click here to register.
About ShareStream Education
ShareStream provides a leading online video platform and media-management solution for education. The ShareStream Platform is an institution-wide media solution that services multiple departments within an educational institution from a single system. ShareStream’s technology was initially developed in collaboration with Georgetown University, and is now widely deployed around the world. Learn more at www.sharestream.com or follow ShareStream on Twitter at @ShareStreamVid to receive the latest company updates.