|By Marketwired .||
|July 15, 2014 11:00 AM EDT||
PORTLAND, OR -- (Marketwired) -- 07/15/14 -- Puppet Labs, the leading provider of IT automation software, today announced Puppet Enterprise 3.3. This new release delivers enhancements in three key areas: It helps customers get started faster, enables automation of more IT infrastructure and is optimized for performance and scale. Puppet Enterprise 3.3 is available immediately.
"To help our rapidly growing customer base be as successful as possible, we've improved everything -- from the installation experience, to simplifying how you write Puppet code, to improvements in scalability and performance," said Brian Stein, senior vice president of engineering at Puppet Labs. "This release makes it easier for administrators to get started and scale Puppet Enterprise over more platforms than ever, adding RHEL 7 and client support for Windows Server 2012 R2. It's exciting to see customers on a broader set of platforms enjoy the benefit of modern IT automation."
Getting Started Faster
It is now easier to install and use Puppet Enterprise:
- Puppet Enterprise Installer Updates. The all-new web-based Puppet Enterprise installer walks administrators through the installation process, whether you need a basic all-in-one installation or a scalable multi-server deployment.
- Expanded Simplified Agent Installation. This release makes it quicker and simpler than ever to bring new nodes under management. Simplified agent installation has been expanded to more platforms including RHEL 7, RHEL 4, AIX, Solaris 10, adding to the existing supported list of RHEL 5, RHEL 6, Ubuntu 10.04, Ubuntu 12.04, Debian 6, Debian 7, SLES 11. Now it's easier to manage mixed-platform environments.
- Manifest Ordering. The new manifest ordering makes it simpler to define the order in which changes will be executed, making it easier for new admins to get started with Puppet Enterprise. Best of all, with manifest ordering, existing Puppet manifests will work without modification.
- Expanded List of Puppet Enterprise Supported Modules. With this release, Puppet Labs is adding three more modules to our list of Puppet Enterprise Supported Modules with full commercial support:
- The VCS repo module allows administrators to manage repositories and pull code from version control systems such as Git.
- The ACL module for Windows provides fine-grained control of security, with the ability to set permissions for users and groups from within Puppet Enterprise.
- The Windows Powershell module enables administrators to manage services such as backups, user profiles, IIS, Exchange and more from Puppet Enterprise, by executing PowerShell commandlets.
Enhanced Performance and Usability
Platform enhancements in Puppet Enterprise improve Puppet master processing performance by as much as 50 percent, and enable up to 25 percent more agent requests, while maintaining high performance.
Another improvement in Puppet Enterprise: console data export. Administrators can export data captured by Puppet Enterprise and import it into their tool of choice to create reports and answer questions about infrastructure, such as which nodes have a particular configuration, and which are out of compliance.
Puppet Enterprise 3.3 enables Puppet admins to manage more platforms, helping customers automate more of their IT infrastructure. This release extends support to Ubuntu 14 LTS, Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 and Windows Server 2012 R2. It also includes further enhancements to Razor, a tech preview capability which enables admins to automatically provision new hardware.
Pricing and Availability
You can download Puppet Enterprise 3.3 today and try it out free for up to 10 nodes. Annual subscription options including license, support and maintenance start at $112 per node. Documentation for installing and using Puppet Enterprise can be found here.
- Learn more about Puppet Enterprise: https://puppetlabs.com/puppet/puppet-enterprise
- Read more at the Puppet Labs blog: http://feeds.feedburner.com/PuppetLabs
- Follow Puppet Labs on Twitter @puppetlabs: https://twitter.com/puppetlabs
- Try Puppet Enterprise for free: http://puppetlabs.com/download-puppet-enterprise
About Puppet Labs
Puppet Labs, Inc. is the leader in IT automation. Puppet Labs software provides system administrators the operational agility, efficiency and insight they need to proactively manage dynamic infrastructure, scaling from tens of servers to thousands, both on-premises and in the cloud. Thousands of the world's leading organizations use Puppet Labs software to configure and manage their IT infrastructure, including Bank of America, Cisco, Citrix, eBay, NYSE, PayPal, Salesforce.com and WebEx. Based in Portland, Oregon, Puppet Labs employs more than 300 people. The company is backed by investors Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, Google Ventures, VMware, Cisco, True Ventures, Radar Partners, and Emerson Street Partners. To learn more, please visit PuppetLabs.com.
Samsung VP Jacopo Lenzi, who headed the company's recent SmartThings acquisition under the auspices of Samsung's Open Innovaction Center (OIC), answered a few questions we had about the deal. This interview was in conjunction with our interview with SmartThings CEO Alex Hawkinson. IoT Journal: SmartThings was developed in an open, standards-agnostic platform, and will now be part of Samsung's Ope...
Oct. 26, 2014 01:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,700
Explosive growth in connected devices. Enormous amounts of data for collection and analysis. Critical use of data for split-second decision making and actionable information. All three are factors in making the Internet of Things a reality. Yet, any one factor would have an IT organization pondering its infrastructure strategy. How should your organization enhance its IT framework to enable an In...
Oct. 25, 2014 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,728
The major cloud platforms defy a simple, side-by-side analysis. Each of the major IaaS public-cloud platforms offers their own unique strengths and functionality. Options for on-site private cloud are diverse as well, and must be designed and deployed while taking existing legacy architecture and infrastructure into account. Then the reality is that most enterprises are embarking on a hybrid cloud...
Oct. 25, 2014 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,852
StackIQ offers a comprehensive software suite that automates the deployment, provisioning, and management of Big Infrastructure. With StackIQ’s software, you can spin up fully configured big data clusters, quickly and consistently — from bare-metal up to the applications layer — and manage them efficiently. Our software’s modular architecture allows customers to integrate nearly any application wi...
Oct. 25, 2014 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,789
In her General Session at 15th Cloud Expo, Anne Plese, Senior Consultant, Cloud Product Marketing, at Verizon Enterprise, will focus on finding the right mix of renting vs. buying Oracle capacity to scale to meet business demands, and offer validated Oracle database TCO models for Oracle development and testing environments. Anne Plese is a marketing and technology enthusiast/realist with over 19...
Oct. 25, 2014 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,728
As Platform as a Service (PaaS) matures as a category, developers should have the ability to use the programming language of their choice to build applications and have access to a wide array of services. Bluemix is IBM's open cloud development platform that enables users to easily build cloud-based, creative mobile and web applications without having to spend large amounts of time and resources o...
Oct. 25, 2014 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,796
The Internet of Things will greatly expand the opportunities for data collection and new business models driven off of that data. In her session at Internet of @ThingsExpo, Esmeralda Swartz, CMO of MetraTech, will discuss how for this to be effective you not only need to have infrastructure and operational models capable of utilizing this new phenomenon, but increasingly service providers will nee...
Oct. 24, 2014 09:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,445
When you set off to build an app that will change the world, designing your system architecture to be reliable and scalable is important but the stark reality is that, for your MVP, you probably had a “need for speed” (of development). You didn’t know what all the axes were to scale your application, where your stress points would be, and what weird and wonderful ways your customers would use it d...
Oct. 24, 2014 09:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,271
Compute virtualization has been transformational, yet security policy implementation and enforcement has lagged behind in agility and automation. There are a number of key considerations when implementing policy in private and hybrid clouds. In his session at 15th Cloud Expo, Holland Barry, VP of Technology at Catbird, will discuss the impact of this new paradigm and what organizations can do to...
Oct. 24, 2014 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,548
SYS-CON Events announced today that Red Hat, the world's leading provider of open source solutions, will exhibit at Internet of @ThingsExpo, which will take place on November 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Red Hat is the world's leading provider of open source software solutions, using a community-powered approach to reliable and high-performing cloud, Linux, ...
Oct. 23, 2014 11:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,741