|By Business Wire||
|August 4, 2014 12:01 AM EDT||
GE (NYSE:GE) announced today that it will invest $2 billion in facility development, skills training, and sustainability initiatives across Africa by 2018. GE made the announcement in advance of President Obama’s U.S.-Africa Leaders Summit, where GE is hosting African and global government officials, policy experts, NGOs, entrepreneurs and business leaders for a conference on investment, infrastructure, and innovation in Africa.
Through partnerships and technology, GE is poised to help increase access, reliability, and affordability of core infrastructure throughout the continent. Africa has emerged as the most promising growth region for GE. Total GE revenues in Africa in 2013 were $5.2 billion and in the past year, GE has won more than $8.3 billion in orders across Africa.
GE Chairman and CEO Jeff Immelt said, “I am proud of our 100-year history in Africa. Through investments such as our new multi-modal manufacturing facility in Nigeria, Algeria gas turbine manufacturing, and our customer innovation center in South Africa, we remain a committed partner to Africa’s sustainable growth.”
GE will focus its investment in Africa in three strategic areas: building infrastructure; delivering localized solutions to customers; and capacity building, by providing skills training and growing supply chain development in local communities.
New GE commitments in Africa include:
- GE’s Distributed Power business will supply aeroderivative gas turbines in Algeria and Nigeria to increase grid reliability during peak power demands in Algeria and generate uninterrupted power at the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation’s state oil refinery. As a founding partner for President Obama’s Power Africa initiative, GE committed to help bring online 5,000MW of new electric generation capacity in cooperation with the Initiative’s government and other private sector partners across six partner countries, including Nigeria.
- GE’s “Country-to-Company” agreement with the Government of Nigeria, which encourages the development of infrastructure projects and the transfer of skills and technology, will be renewed for another five years.
- GE will supply approximately $1 billion in railway and power equipment to Angola, under a bilateral agreement signed this week between the Export-Import Bank and Angola’s Ministry of Finance to finance infrastructure development projects in the country.
- The GE Foundation will invest $20 million over the next five years in health programs across Africa – including Nigeria, Kenya, Ghana, Rwanda, Uganda, Tanzania and Malawi – to train nurse anesthetists and biomedical equipment technicians, among other healthcare initiatives.
Jay Ireland, President and CEO, GE Africa said, “GE has long been committed to unlocking Africa’s potential but, as our most recent deals in the region demonstrate, we believe there is still more that we can do. Our investments in infrastructure and people only strengthen our role as a key partner in helping to build Africa’s future.”
Nabil Habayeb, President and CEO, GE Middle East, North Africa & Turkey said, “Together with our regional partners, GE is elevating transformative ideas that have the potential to solve local challenges by lending scale and resources. GE is committed to empowering the communities in which it operates across the continent.”
Other commitments and recent announcements in Africa include:
Core infrastructure needs in Africa represent a $90 billion opportunity. GE is one of the leading American companies powering Africa. GE’s advanced technologies generate 25 percent of Africa’s gas power, and nearly 70 percent of the electricity distributed across Algeria.
- GE and Dangote Industries, one of the largest diversified industrial conglomerates in Africa, signed a strategic cooperation agreement last year, and a framework agreement for distributed power solutions this year. The partners will collaborate on major infrastructure projects – in power generation, rail transport, and the oil and gas sector.
- GE and the Tunisia Ministry of Development and International Cooperation signed a “Country-to-Company” MOU agreement, committing to develop local infrastructure through partnerships in transportation, healthcare, and electricity sectors.
- GE recently announced plans to invest in the Ghana 1000 project, which aims to bring 1,000 MW of power online over the next six years.
- GE South Africa Technologies has committed to supply Transnet with 233 locomotives, as well as develop a Supplier Development Fund with IDC and IFC that fosters the growth of subject matter experts throughout the GE supply chain in Africa. The partnership with Transnet has created hundreds of skilled jobs on both continents. With this new order, GE will be delivering 436 new locomotives operating in South Africa by 2017.
- In Algeria, GE is investing with partner, Sonelgaz, to build a new production plant manufacturing steam turbines, gas turbines, generators, and control systems that will deliver approximately 2 GW per year to meet the country’s growing electricity demand.
- GE received orders in Mozambique for 100 locomotives between 2012 and 2014. In early 2014, GE Transportation delivered the first four of 10 C30ACi locomotives that were ordered in 2012 to CFM (Portos e Caminhos de Ferro de Moçambique). GE will provide services and skills training in Mozambique. For this order, the engines are made in Pennsylvania and the locomotives are assembled at Transnet Engineering plant in South Africa.
GE is working with partners in Africa to drive sustainable development and solve local challenges by investing in technology, building capital markets and developing technical skills within communities.
- In Calabar, Nigeria, GE is investing more than $1 billion over five years to build technical expertise and infrastructure capacity across various sectors of the Nigerian economy. The investment includes $250 million toward a new multi-modal facility for manufacturing and assembling machinery that will create 2,300 new local jobs.
- As part of a $500 million agreement with Egypt’s Carbon Holding, GE will deliver an integrated solutions package featuring technologies and equity in one of the world’s largest petrochemical projects.
- By 2017, GE will invest $70 million into a Customer Innovation Center for skills development in South Africa, as well as $19 million into supplier development funds to provide financial and technical support for emerging local businesses.
- GE will provide an additional $350 million in services and technology to Nigeria’s subsea industry, including hiring of local field engineers and deployment of solutions from GE’s Oil & Gas business.
- In collaboration with the U.S. Africa Development Foundation and USAID, GE launched the “Power Africa Off-Grid Energy Challenge” and awarded six $100,000 grants to local enterprises to develop and expand off-grid solutions. Now in its second phase, the challenge has expanded to cover all six Power Africa countries by including Ethiopia, Ghana, Kenya, Liberia, Nigeria, and Tanzania.
- Together with the Federal Ministry of Health and USAID, GE Healthcare has entered into a $20 million five-year initiative to reduce child-maternal deaths in Nigeria. This partnership entails forming a new healthymagination Mother and Child Initiative as well as supporting the ongoing efforts of the Ministry of Health’s “Save One Million Lives” program, which tackles maternal and infant mortality in Nigeria.
GE empowers the communities in which it operates by providing skills training and developing leaders through partnerships with local governments, schools, and hospitals. We are investing in capacity building that will ensure sustained growth.
- Through its Apprenticeship program, over the next four years, GE Africa will spend up to $45 million to develop local Angolan talent.
- As part of its work with the Young African Leaders Initiative (YALI), GE will support YALI Regional Leadership Centers curriculum development, provide facilitated leadership training, and volunteer GE staff members to serve as mentors to youth.
- In Algeria, GE is partnering with the Ministry of Health to improve emergency care, modernize hospitals and support the government in developing 10 new teaching hospitals. GE launched its healthymagination program in Algeria in May, focused on consumer education and awareness of disease prevention.
- In partnership with AMIDEast, GE is investing in teacher training programs focused on increasing capabilities in the public education system in Libya, Tunis and Egypt.
- GE, Dangote Foundation and other partners are collaborating to create a skilled workforce in Nigeria. Both organizations are focused on training young people in order to maximize their potential for employment. Garages is designed as a convention for hands on training, work placement opportunities, and a leadership program designed for graduate students in manufacturing and various service industries.
“Over the last few years, we have expanded in growth markets by 15 percent each year,” Immelt said. “Our capability and culture give us great momentum in Africa and other developing regions around the world. We are solving problems for our customers and countries where we invest.”
GE (NYSE:GE) works on things that matter. The best people and the best technologies taking on the toughest challenges. Finding solutions in energy, health and home, transportation and finance. Building, powering, moving and curing the world. Not just imagining. Doing. GE works. For more information, visit the company's website at www.ge.com.
The BPM world is going through some evolution or changes where traditional business process management solutions really have nowhere to go in terms of development of the road map. In this demo at 15th Cloud Expo, Kyle Hansen, Director of Professional Services at AgilePoint, shows AgilePoint’s unique approach to dealing with this market circumstance by developing a rapid application composition or development framework.
Dec. 20, 2014 11:00 PM EST Reads: 1,291
SYS-CON Events announced today Isomorphic Software, the global leader in high-end, web-based business applications, will exhibit at SYS-CON's DevOps Summit 2015 New York, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Isomorphic Software is the global leader in high-end, web-based business applications. We develop, market, and support the SmartClient & Smart GWT HTML5/Ajax platform, combining the productivity and performance of traditional desktop software ...
Dec. 20, 2014 11:00 PM EST Reads: 1,191
ARMONK, N.Y., Nov. 20, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- IBM (NYSE: IBM) today announced that it is bringing a greater level of control, security and flexibility to cloud-based application development and delivery with a single-tenant version of Bluemix, IBM's
"BSQUARE is in the business of selling software solutions for smart connected devices. It's obvious that IoT has moved from being a technology to being a fundamental part of business, and in the last 18 months people have said let's figure out how to do it and let's put some focus on it, " explained Dave Wagstaff, VP & Chief Architect, at BSQUARE Corporation, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held Nov 4-6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 20, 2014 12:00 PM EST Reads: 1,954
The major cloud platforms defy a simple, side-by-side analysis. Each of the major IaaS public-cloud platforms offers their own unique strengths and functionality. Options for on-site private cloud are diverse as well, and must be designed and deployed while taking existing legacy architecture and infrastructure into account. Then the reality is that most enterprises are embarking on a hybrid cloud strategy and programs. In this Power Panel at 15th Cloud Expo (http://www.CloudComputingExpo.com...
Dec. 20, 2014 11:30 AM EST Reads: 2,388
"Our premise is Docker is not enough. That's not a bad thing - we actually love Docker. At ActiveState all our products are based on open source technology and Docker is an up-and-coming piece of open source technology," explained Bart Copeland, President & CEO of ActiveState Software, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at DevOps Summit at Cloud Expo®, held Nov 4-6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 20, 2014 11:00 AM EST Reads: 1,979
The Internet of Things is not new. Historically, smart businesses have used its basic concept of leveraging data to drive better decision making and have capitalized on those insights to realize additional revenue opportunities. So, what has changed to make the Internet of Things one of the hottest topics in tech? In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Gray, Director, Embedded and Internet of Things, discussed the underlying factors that are driving the economics of intelligent systems. Discover ...
Dec. 20, 2014 11:00 AM EST Reads: 2,291
SYS-CON Events announced today that Windstream, a leading provider of advanced network and cloud communications, has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9–11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York, NY. Windstream (Nasdaq: WIN), a FORTUNE 500 and S&P 500 company, is a leading provider of advanced network communications, including cloud computing and managed services, to businesses nationwide. The company also offers broadband, p...
Dec. 20, 2014 10:45 AM EST Reads: 2,243
The move in recent years to cloud computing services and architectures has added significant pace to the application development and deployment environment. When enterprise IT can spin up large computing instances in just minutes, developers can also design and deploy in small time frames that were unimaginable a few years ago. The consequent move toward lean, agile, and fast development leads to the need for the development and operations sides to work very closely together. Thus, DevOps become...
Dec. 20, 2014 10:00 AM EST Reads: 2,029
SYS-CON Media announced today that Aruna Ravichandran, VP of Marketing, Application Performance Management and DevOps at CA Technologies, has joined DevOps Journal’s authors. DevOps Journal is focused on this critical enterprise IT topic in the world of cloud computing. DevOps Journal brings valuable information to DevOps professionals who are transforming the way enterprise IT is done. Aruna's inaugural article "Four Essential Cultural Hacks for DevOps Newbies" discusses how to demonstrate the...
Dec. 20, 2014 10:00 AM EST Reads: 1,779
Verizon Enterprise Solutions is simplifying the cloud-purchasing experience for its clients, with the launch of Verizon Cloud Marketplace, a key foundational component of the company's robust ecosystem of enterprise-class technologies. The online storefront will initially feature pre-built cloud-based services from AppDynamics, Hitachi Data Systems, Juniper Networks, PfSense and Tervela. Available globally to enterprises using Verizon Cloud, Verizon Cloud Marketplace provides a one-stop shop fo...
Dec. 20, 2014 09:00 AM EST Reads: 1,960
AppZero has announced that its award-winning application migration software is now fully qualified within the Microsoft Azure Certified program. AppZero has undergone extensive technical evaluation with Microsoft Corp., earning its designation as Microsoft Azure Certified. As a result of AppZero's work with Microsoft, customers are able to easily find, purchase and deploy AppZero from the Azure Marketplace. With just a few clicks, users have an Azure-based solution for moving applications to the...
Dec. 20, 2014 09:00 AM EST Reads: 996
“In the past year we've seen a lot of stabilization of WebRTC. You can now use it in production with a far greater degree of certainty. A lot of the real developments in the past year have been in things like the data channel, which will enable a whole new type of application," explained Peter Dunkley, Technical Director at Acision, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 20, 2014 08:00 AM EST Reads: 1,319
SYS-CON Events announced today that IDenticard will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. IDenticard™ is the security division of Brady Corp (NYSE: BRC), a $1.5 billion manufacturer of identification products. We have small-company values with the strength and stability of a major corporation. IDenticard offers local sales, support and service to our customers across the United States and Canada...
Dec. 20, 2014 07:00 AM EST Reads: 2,125
SYS-CON Events announced today that AIC, a leading provider of OEM/ODM server and storage solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. AIC is a leading provider of both standard OTS, off-the-shelf, and OEM/ODM server and storage solutions. With expert in-house design capabilities, validation, manufacturing and production, AIC's broad selection of products are highly flexible and are conf...
Dec. 20, 2014 07:00 AM EST Reads: 1,892