|By Business Wire||
|August 4, 2014 12:01 AM EDT||
GE (NYSE:GE) announced today that it will invest $2 billion in facility development, skills training, and sustainability initiatives across Africa by 2018. GE made the announcement in advance of President Obama’s U.S.-Africa Leaders Summit, where GE is hosting African and global government officials, policy experts, NGOs, entrepreneurs and business leaders for a conference on investment, infrastructure, and innovation in Africa.
Through partnerships and technology, GE is poised to help increase access, reliability, and affordability of core infrastructure throughout the continent. Africa has emerged as the most promising growth region for GE. Total GE revenues in Africa in 2013 were $5.2 billion and in the past year, GE has won more than $8.3 billion in orders across Africa.
GE Chairman and CEO Jeff Immelt said, “I am proud of our 100-year history in Africa. Through investments such as our new multi-modal manufacturing facility in Nigeria, Algeria gas turbine manufacturing, and our customer innovation center in South Africa, we remain a committed partner to Africa’s sustainable growth.”
GE will focus its investment in Africa in three strategic areas: building infrastructure; delivering localized solutions to customers; and capacity building, by providing skills training and growing supply chain development in local communities.
New GE commitments in Africa include:
- GE’s Distributed Power business will supply aeroderivative gas turbines in Algeria and Nigeria to increase grid reliability during peak power demands in Algeria and generate uninterrupted power at the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation’s state oil refinery. As a founding partner for President Obama’s Power Africa initiative, GE committed to help bring online 5,000MW of new electric generation capacity in cooperation with the Initiative’s government and other private sector partners across six partner countries, including Nigeria.
- GE’s “Country-to-Company” agreement with the Government of Nigeria, which encourages the development of infrastructure projects and the transfer of skills and technology, will be renewed for another five years.
- GE will supply approximately $1 billion in railway and power equipment to Angola, under a bilateral agreement signed this week between the Export-Import Bank and Angola’s Ministry of Finance to finance infrastructure development projects in the country.
- The GE Foundation will invest $20 million over the next five years in health programs across Africa – including Nigeria, Kenya, Ghana, Rwanda, Uganda, Tanzania and Malawi – to train nurse anesthetists and biomedical equipment technicians, among other healthcare initiatives.
Jay Ireland, President and CEO, GE Africa said, “GE has long been committed to unlocking Africa’s potential but, as our most recent deals in the region demonstrate, we believe there is still more that we can do. Our investments in infrastructure and people only strengthen our role as a key partner in helping to build Africa’s future.”
Nabil Habayeb, President and CEO, GE Middle East, North Africa & Turkey said, “Together with our regional partners, GE is elevating transformative ideas that have the potential to solve local challenges by lending scale and resources. GE is committed to empowering the communities in which it operates across the continent.”
Other commitments and recent announcements in Africa include:
Core infrastructure needs in Africa represent a $90 billion opportunity. GE is one of the leading American companies powering Africa. GE’s advanced technologies generate 25 percent of Africa’s gas power, and nearly 70 percent of the electricity distributed across Algeria.
- GE and Dangote Industries, one of the largest diversified industrial conglomerates in Africa, signed a strategic cooperation agreement last year, and a framework agreement for distributed power solutions this year. The partners will collaborate on major infrastructure projects – in power generation, rail transport, and the oil and gas sector.
- GE and the Tunisia Ministry of Development and International Cooperation signed a “Country-to-Company” MOU agreement, committing to develop local infrastructure through partnerships in transportation, healthcare, and electricity sectors.
- GE recently announced plans to invest in the Ghana 1000 project, which aims to bring 1,000 MW of power online over the next six years.
- GE South Africa Technologies has committed to supply Transnet with 233 locomotives, as well as develop a Supplier Development Fund with IDC and IFC that fosters the growth of subject matter experts throughout the GE supply chain in Africa. The partnership with Transnet has created hundreds of skilled jobs on both continents. With this new order, GE will be delivering 436 new locomotives operating in South Africa by 2017.
- In Algeria, GE is investing with partner, Sonelgaz, to build a new production plant manufacturing steam turbines, gas turbines, generators, and control systems that will deliver approximately 2 GW per year to meet the country’s growing electricity demand.
- GE received orders in Mozambique for 100 locomotives between 2012 and 2014. In early 2014, GE Transportation delivered the first four of 10 C30ACi locomotives that were ordered in 2012 to CFM (Portos e Caminhos de Ferro de Moçambique). GE will provide services and skills training in Mozambique. For this order, the engines are made in Pennsylvania and the locomotives are assembled at Transnet Engineering plant in South Africa.
GE is working with partners in Africa to drive sustainable development and solve local challenges by investing in technology, building capital markets and developing technical skills within communities.
- In Calabar, Nigeria, GE is investing more than $1 billion over five years to build technical expertise and infrastructure capacity across various sectors of the Nigerian economy. The investment includes $250 million toward a new multi-modal facility for manufacturing and assembling machinery that will create 2,300 new local jobs.
- As part of a $500 million agreement with Egypt’s Carbon Holding, GE will deliver an integrated solutions package featuring technologies and equity in one of the world’s largest petrochemical projects.
- By 2017, GE will invest $70 million into a Customer Innovation Center for skills development in South Africa, as well as $19 million into supplier development funds to provide financial and technical support for emerging local businesses.
- GE will provide an additional $350 million in services and technology to Nigeria’s subsea industry, including hiring of local field engineers and deployment of solutions from GE’s Oil & Gas business.
- In collaboration with the U.S. Africa Development Foundation and USAID, GE launched the “Power Africa Off-Grid Energy Challenge” and awarded six $100,000 grants to local enterprises to develop and expand off-grid solutions. Now in its second phase, the challenge has expanded to cover all six Power Africa countries by including Ethiopia, Ghana, Kenya, Liberia, Nigeria, and Tanzania.
- Together with the Federal Ministry of Health and USAID, GE Healthcare has entered into a $20 million five-year initiative to reduce child-maternal deaths in Nigeria. This partnership entails forming a new healthymagination Mother and Child Initiative as well as supporting the ongoing efforts of the Ministry of Health’s “Save One Million Lives” program, which tackles maternal and infant mortality in Nigeria.
GE empowers the communities in which it operates by providing skills training and developing leaders through partnerships with local governments, schools, and hospitals. We are investing in capacity building that will ensure sustained growth.
- Through its Apprenticeship program, over the next four years, GE Africa will spend up to $45 million to develop local Angolan talent.
- As part of its work with the Young African Leaders Initiative (YALI), GE will support YALI Regional Leadership Centers curriculum development, provide facilitated leadership training, and volunteer GE staff members to serve as mentors to youth.
- In Algeria, GE is partnering with the Ministry of Health to improve emergency care, modernize hospitals and support the government in developing 10 new teaching hospitals. GE launched its healthymagination program in Algeria in May, focused on consumer education and awareness of disease prevention.
- In partnership with AMIDEast, GE is investing in teacher training programs focused on increasing capabilities in the public education system in Libya, Tunis and Egypt.
- GE, Dangote Foundation and other partners are collaborating to create a skilled workforce in Nigeria. Both organizations are focused on training young people in order to maximize their potential for employment. Garages is designed as a convention for hands on training, work placement opportunities, and a leadership program designed for graduate students in manufacturing and various service industries.
“Over the last few years, we have expanded in growth markets by 15 percent each year,” Immelt said. “Our capability and culture give us great momentum in Africa and other developing regions around the world. We are solving problems for our customers and countries where we invest.”
GE (NYSE:GE) works on things that matter. The best people and the best technologies taking on the toughest challenges. Finding solutions in energy, health and home, transportation and finance. Building, powering, moving and curing the world. Not just imagining. Doing. GE works. For more information, visit the company's website at www.ge.com.
SYS-CON Media announced today that John Treadway’s blog has exceeded 475,000 page views. John Treadway, Vice President at Cloud Technology Partners, has surpassed 475,000 page views on the SYS-CON family of online magazines, which includes Cloud Computing Journal, Internet of Things Journal, Big Data Journal, Microservices Journal, and several others. His blog home page at SYS-CON can be found at JohnTreadway.SYS-CON.com.
Apr. 19, 2015 10:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,398
SYS-CON Events announced today that Column Technologies, a global technology solutions company, will exhibit at SYS-CON's DevOps Summit 2015 New York, which will take place June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Established in 1998, Column Technologies is a leader in application performance and infrastructure management for commercial and federal markets. The company is headquartered in the United States, with a diverse and talented team of more than 350 employees around th...
Apr. 19, 2015 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,575
ProfitBricks has launched its new DevOps Central and REST API, along with support for three multi-cloud libraries and a Python SDK. This, combined with its already existing SOAP API and its new RESTful API, moves ProfitBricks into a position to better serve the DevOps community and provide the ability to automate cloud infrastructure in a multi-cloud world. Following this momentum, ProfitBricks has also introduced several libraries that enable developers to use their favorite language to code ...
Apr. 19, 2015 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,354
SYS-CON Events announced today that Blue Box has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's DevOps Summit New York, which will take place June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Blue Box delivers Private Cloud as a Service (PCaaS) to a worldwide customer base. Built on a technology platform leveraging decades of operational expertise in cloud and distributed systems, Blue Box Cloud is a managed private cloud product available in both hosted and on-prem versions. Each Blue Box ...
Apr. 19, 2015 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 609
SYS-CON Events announced today Sematext Group, Inc., a Brooklyn-based Performance Monitoring and Log Management solution provider, will exhibit at SYS-CON's DevOps Summit 2015 New York, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Sematext is a globally distributed organization that builds innovative Cloud and On Premises solutions for performance monitoring, alerting and anomaly detection (SPM), log management and analytics (Logsene), search analytics (S...
Apr. 19, 2015 09:30 AM EDT Reads: 3,579
SYS-CON Events announced today Isomorphic Software, the global leader in high-end, web-based business applications, will exhibit at SYS-CON's DevOps Summit 2015 New York, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Isomorphic Software is the global leader in high-end, web-based business applications. We develop, market, and support the SmartClient & Smart GWT HTML5/Ajax platform, combining the productivity and performance of traditional desktop software ...
Apr. 19, 2015 09:15 AM EDT Reads: 4,436
SYS-CON Events announced today Arista Networks will exhibit at SYS-CON's DevOps Summit 2015 New York, which will take place June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Arista Networks was founded to deliver software-driven cloud networking solutions for large data center and computing environments. Arista’s award-winning 10/40/100GbE switches redefine scalability, robustness, and price-performance, with over 3,000 customers and more than three million cloud networking ports depl...
Apr. 19, 2015 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,655
SYS-CON Events announced today that SoftLayer, an IBM company, has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place June 9-11, 2015 at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place November 3–5, 2015 at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. SoftLayer operates a global cloud infrastructure platform built for Internet scale. With a global footprint of data centers and network points...
Apr. 19, 2015 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,395
SYS-CON Events announced today that Cisco, the worldwide leader in IT that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate, has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Cisco makes amazing things happen by connecting the unconnected. Cisco has shaped the future of the Internet by becoming the worldwide leader in transforming how people connect, communicate and collaborat...
Apr. 19, 2015 08:30 AM EDT Reads: 5,618
SYS-CON Events announced today that Liaison Technologies, a leading provider of data management and integration cloud services and solutions, has been named "Silver Sponsor" of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York, NY. Liaison Technologies is a recognized market leader in providing cloud-enabled data integration and data management solutions to break down complex information barriers, enabling enterprises to make sm...
Apr. 19, 2015 08:15 AM EDT Reads: 3,700
SYS-CON Events announced today that Ciqada will exhibit at SYS-CON's @ThingsExpo, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Ciqada™ makes it easy to connect your products to the Internet. By integrating key components - hardware, servers, dashboards, and mobile apps - into an easy-to-use, configurable system, your products can quickly and securely join the internet of things. With remote monitoring, control, and alert messaging capability, you will mee...
Apr. 19, 2015 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,613
SYS-CON Events announced today that Windstream, a leading provider of advanced network and cloud communications, has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9–11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York, NY. Windstream (Nasdaq: WIN), a FORTUNE 500 and S&P 500 company, is a leading provider of advanced network communications, including cloud computing and managed services, to businesses nationwide. The company also offers broadband, p...
Apr. 19, 2015 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 4,873
SYS-CON Media announced today that Blue Box as launched a popular blog feed on Cloud Computing Journal. Cloud Computing Journal aims to help open the eyes of Enterprise IT professionals to the economics and strategies that utility/cloud computing provides. Blue Box Cloud gives you unequaled agility, without the burden of designing, deploying and managing your own infrastructure. It’s the right choice when public cloud just won’t do. Blue Box Cloud is a managed Private Cloud as a Service (...
Apr. 19, 2015 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,320
SYS-CON Events announced today that Stratoscale, the new data center operating system, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Based in Herzeliya, Israel, Stratoscale is redefining the data center, developing a hardware-agnostic, software platform hyper-converging compute, storage and networking across the rack or data center. The self-optimizing platform automatically distributes all physical...
Apr. 19, 2015 07:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,590
SYS-CON Events announced today that ProfitBricks, the provider of painless cloud infrastructure, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY., and the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. ProfitBricks is the IaaS provider that offers a painless cloud experience for all IT users, with no learning curve. ...
Apr. 19, 2015 07:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,476