|By PR Newswire||
|August 4, 2014 01:17 PM EDT||
MYRTLE BEACH, S.C., Aug. 4, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- The Ninth Annual Beach, Boogie & BBQ Festival returns this fall to the Grand Strand on Aug. 29 and Aug. 30. The festival is offering $13,000 in cash prizes to the winners of the official barbecue championship of South Carolina. Admission is free to this Kansas City Barbecue Society (KCBS) sanctioned event, with proceeds benefiting The Shriner's Hospital of Greenville, S.C.
The end-of-summer extravaganza will take place Labor Day Weekend from 6 to 10 p.m. on Friday, Aug. 29 and from noon to 10 p.m. on Saturday, Aug. 30. The festival will be held at the Horry-Georgetown Technical College Conference Center on the Grand Strand Campus near Grand Park at The Market Common, located at 950 Crabtree Lane. Main stage will be located at the corner of Emmens Avenue and Crabtree Lane, with other festival elements surrounding. This will be a new location for the festival.
Registered cooking teams will compete for the chance to win $13,000 in cash prizes during Saturday's barbecue competition. This year's barbecue team registration fee is $175 per team, and amateur barbecue teams are encouraged to compete. The deadline for team registration is Aug. 22, 2014. Information on team rules and regulations is available at www.kcbs.us.
Organized by Palmetto Event Productions, the Beach, Boogie & BBQ Festival is a free, family-friendly event, featuring finger-lickin' barbecue and food for purchase from vendors and competitors, along with free live entertainment both days. In addition, there will be kids' activities and games, vendors selling festival food and art/craft favorites, and a free fireworks show on Saturday. Parking is also free and available throughout the Market Common area and HGTC campus buildings along Pampas Avenue. There will be a handicap parking lot near the intersection of Pampas Avenue and Crabtree Lane.
Delicious barbecue samples and festival food will be available for purchase during the entire festival. Barbecue sandwiches, combos and by-the-pound will be available for purchase from 6 to 9 p.m. on Friday and from noon to 6 p.m. on Saturday.
Along with the official KCBS Barbecue Championship on Saturday, festival goers will enjoy a number of other competitions and events throughout the two days, including the Myrtle Beach Car Club Cruise In on Aug. 30.
In addition to the food and festivities, staff from The Shriner's Hospital for Children in Greenville, S.C. will be on hand from 6 to 8 p.m. on Friday and from noon to 5 p.m. on Saturday to discuss free medical treatment for children and the hospital's mission. Physicians will be on site from noon to 5 p.m. on Saturday. The hospital's mission is to identify children ages newborn through 18 years who may qualify for treatment regardless of the families' ability to pay.
Festival highlights will include:
Friday, Aug. 29 - (festivities from 6 to 10 p.m.)
- Burgers 'N' Brews – 6 to 8 p.m. – Area restaurants are encouraged to bring their best burger recipes to win the title of the Best Beach, Boogie & BBQ Burger. Only $100 to register through Aug. 1, and $150 afterwards until the Aug. 22 deadline. Participants keep 100 percent of revenue from burgers that are sold to the public. The People's Choice competition has a first place prize of $500, a second place prize of $300 and third place prize of $100. Limited to only 10 participants.
- Wing Competition and Tasting – 6 to 8 p.m. – Barbecue cook teams will be competing, and the public can purchase wings from the barbecue sales tent.
- 'Anything But' Competition – 6 to 8 p.m. -- Barbecue cook teams will be submitting their 'Anything But' dishes to the judges in hopes to win some great cash prizes.
- Shriners Hospital Information Booth – 6 to 8 p.m. – Staff from Shriners Hospital will be on-hand discussing free medical treatment.
- Live Entertainment on The Main Stage – 6 to 10 p.m. – Get ready for a great line-up of entertainment and dance to some of your favorite music! Bring chairs and blankets (no coolers allowed). Main stage, corner of Emmens Avenue and Crabtree Lane. Free to the public.
- Beer and Wine Garden – 6 to 10 p.m. – Choose from more than 15 beers, along with wine and other spirit selections, at the new and expanded Beer and Wine Garden.
Saturday, Aug. 30 - (festivities from Noon to 10 p.m.)
- Corn Hole Competition – Noon to 5 p.m. – It is only $40 to register a team of two. Registration begins at 11 a.m. Cash prizes are $300 for first place, $250 for second place and $75 for third place.
- Kansas City Barbecue Society (four meat categories) – Noon to 2 p.m. – Barbecue cook teams will be competing in the official barbecue competition of South Carolina in four meat categories – pork, ribs, brisket and chicken. More than $11,000 in cash prizes at stake and a lot of bragging rights. Come watch as teams prepare this savory food and turn into the judges. No public sampling.
- Shriners Hospital Information Booth – Noon to 5 p.m. – Staff and physicians from Shriners Hospital will be on-hand discussing free medical treatment.
- Myrtle Beach Car Club Cruise In – Noon to 4 p.m. – Load-in begins at 10 a.m. For more information, call Cecil Chandler at (843) 742-9802 or Lenny Sirago at (843) 251-3849.
- Beer and Wine Garden – Noon to 10 p.m. Enjoy cold beer and wine selections at the newly expanded Beer and Wine Garden.
- Live Entertainment on The Main Stage – Noon to 9:30 p.m. Come back for another great line-up of entertainment and make sure to have your dancing shoes! Bring chairs and blankets (no coolers allowed). Main stage, corner of Emmens Avenue and Crabtree Lane. Free to the public.
- Kids Q Competition – 2 to 3 p.m. – Kids between 8 and 11 years of age cook in the hamburger category, while kids 12 to 15 cook in the chicken thigh category. It is only $65 per child to register, and there are only 10 available spots per age category. Registration is required in advance and includes meat, a small grill and a bag of charcoal. Come support and cheer on these future chefs.
- Announcement of Official S.C. Barbecue Championship and Shriner Hospital of Greenville and HGTC Culinary Institute check presentations – 5 p.m. – Learn which competitor will earn the Grand Champion title and which competitors will receive prize money. Main stage, corner of Emmens Avenue and Crabtree Lane.
- Fireworks – 9:30 p.m. Enjoy a fireworks finale. Free to the public.
The Ninth Annual Beach, Boogie & BBQ Festival is sponsored by the City of Myrtle Beach, the Myrtle Beach Area Chamber of Commerce and Horry-Georgetown Technical College.
For more festival information, visit www.MyrtleBeachEventInfo.com or call (843) 712-2145.
Palmetto Event Productions, Inc.
SOURCE Myrtle Beach Area Chamber of Commerce / CVB