|By Marketwired .||
|August 5, 2014 02:13 AM EDT||
WINNERSH, UNITED KINGDOM -- (Marketwired) -- 08/05/14 -- Vernalis PLC (LSE: VER) (PINKSHEETS: VNLPY)
Vernalis plc (LSE: VER) today announces its results for the six months ended 30 June 2014.
- Continued strong financial performance ahead of market expectations
- Revenue was £ 6.2 million (H1 2013: £ 7.6 million)
- Frovatriptan royalty income at £ 1.8 million (H1 2013: £ 2.6 million) was in line with market expectations, with one 12.5 kg batch of API delivered to Menarini
- Collaboration income was £ 4.4 million (H1 2013: £ 5.0 million) with £ 1.1 million of milestones earned (H1 2013: £ 2.5 million) and the remaining income derived from FTE funding
- Operating costs (including R&D) before exceptional items marginally higher at £ 9.5 million (2013: £ 9.1 million)
- R&D spend remains largely flat at £ 6.9 million (H1 2013: £ 6.5 million)
- External R&D expenditure increased to £ 1.4 million (H1 2013: £ 1.0 million) due to investment in V158866, V81444 and increased activity on Tris related projects
- Operating loss before exceptional items was £ 3.9 million (H1 2013: £ 2.6 million)
- Loss for the period after exceptional items was £ 4.6 million (H1 2013: profit of £ 4.2 million) including a £ 1.7 million unrealised foreign exchange loss (H1 2013: £ 4.4 million gain) due to the strength of Sterling
- Balance sheet remains strong with £ 70.3 million of cash resources (including cash, cash equivalents and held-to-maturity financial assets) and debt free
- Net decrease in cash resources of £ 6.6 million for the first six months of 2014
- Large proportion of cash still denominated in US dollars, with a £ 1.7 million unrealised foreign exchange loss reported for the period
- Proof-of-Concept (POC) payment on CCP-07 of £ 1.8 million paid to Tris in April 2014
- Underlying cash burn increased to £ 3.8 million (2013: £ 2.6 million) resulting from decline in revenue and small increase in operating costs
Cough Cold Commercial Pipeline:
- NDA for Tuzistra XR (CCP-01) submitted to the FDA at the end of June as expected
- POC achieved for both CCP-07 and CCP-08 triggering milestone payments to Tris in April and July 2014 respectively
- Two further programmes continue in active development at Tris and are targeted to achieve POC before the end of 2014
NCE Development Pipeline:
Frovatriptan (marketed) (Migraine):
- H1 2014 Menarini frovatriptan sales were in line with the same period in 2013 (EUR 13.2 million vs EUR 13.1million)
V81444 (CNS diseases):
- Results of the Phase Ib/II POC study in Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) (April 2014) were promising and the goal is now to partner this programme for further development in ADHD, PD or other CNS disorders where A2A receptor antagonists show potential patient benefit
- The Phase II POC study in spinal cord injury neuropathic pain continues with data now expected in 2015, due to slower than anticipated patient recruitment
- Multiple Phase I and Phase II studies with Novartis continue in a variety of cancers with a focus on non-small-cell lung cancers
Tosedostat - CHR2797 (Cancer):
- The partial clinical hold on investigator led trials was removed by the FDA in January 2014 enabling studies to resume
- CTI Biopharma Corp. (previously Cell Therapeutics Inc.) is hoping that data from these trials in acute myeloid leukaemia (AML) and myelodysplastic syndrome (MDS) may inform the appropriate design of a Phase III study
- CTI Biopharma also announced in June, the initiation of an international co-operation group Phase II study of tosedostat in combination with low dose cytarabine in older patients with AML or MDS
Servier 1 (Cancer):
- Servier signed a global strategic agreement with Novartis to develop and commercialise drug candidates from this collaboration (May 2014)
- The lead molecule from this collaboration with Servier, a selective BCL-2 inhibitor, has progressed into Phase I (June 2014) triggering a £ 0.8 million (EUR 1 million) milestone receipt
- Milestone achieved in collaboration with Asahi Kasei Pharma triggering a £ 0.3 million payment to Vernalis (March 2014)
- Winner of Queen's Award for Enterprise (April 2014)
- Two milestones achieved in our collaborations with Servier triggering, in total, a EUR 0.75 million payment to Vernalis (August 2014)
- Tuzistra XR NDA filing acceptance by FDA (Q3 2014)
- Achieve POC for remaining two cough cold pipeline programmes (before year end 2014)
- V158866 (Pain) - Completion of Phase II POC study (2015)
- AUY922 (Cancer) - Multiple Phase I and II study results (Novartis, timing not disclosed)
- Achieve further milestones under existing research collaborations
- Secure new research collaborations
Ian Garland, Chief Executive Officer, commented, "We have made excellent progress across all aspects of our business during the first half of this year.
The cough cold commercial pipeline has advanced significantly with submission of the Tuzistra XR NDA to the FDA and proof-of-concept achieved for both CCP-07 and CCP-08. We aim to achieve proof-of-concept on the two remaining cough cold products before the end of 2014.
We also announced positive news from the NCE pipeline with promising results from V81444's phase Ib/II study in ADHD. We now aim to partner this programme having significantly enhanced the data package. In the period we also announced that Servier 1, a selective BCL-2 inhibitor had entered Phase 1.
Research continues to perform well and remains self-funding with more milestones earned and five collaborations active during the period. Our financial results overall continue to be strong and we are well positioned for the launch of our first cough cold product into the US market in 2015."
Presentation & Conference Call
Vernalis management will host a presentation at 09.00 am (UK) today (5 August 2014) at Brunswick's offices, 16 Lincoln's Inn Fields, London WC2A 3ED. It will also be available via webcast at http://www.vernalis.com/investor-centre/presentations-and-webcasts and www.cantos.com.
Please contact Valerie Mugridge at Brunswick on +44 (0) 207 396 5325 for details.
-- ends --
Vernalis plc: Ian Garland, Chief Executive Officer +44 (0) 118 938 0015 David Mackney, Chief Financial Officer Canaccord Genuity Limited (Nominated Adviser): +44 (0) 20 7523 8350 Lucy Tilley Dr Julian Feneley Henry Fitzgerald-O'Connor Shore Capital (Joint Broker): +44 (0)20 7408 4090 Bidhi Bhoma Toby Gibbs Brunswick Group: +44 (0) 20 7404 5959 Jon Coles
Notes to Editors
Vernalis is a revenue generating development stage pharmaceutical company with significant expertise in drug development. The Group has one marketed product, frovatriptan for the acute treatment of migraine, an exclusive licensing agreement to develop and commercialise multiple novel products focussed on the US prescription cough cold market as well as seven programmes in its NCE development pipeline. Vernalis has also significant expertise in fragment and structure based drug discovery which it leverages to enter into collaborations with larger pharmaceutical companies. The Company's technologies, capabilities and products have been endorsed over the last five years by collaborations with leading pharmaceutical companies, including AKP, Biogen Idec, Endo, GSK, Genentech, Lundbeck, Menarini, Novartis, Servier and Tris.
For further information about Vernalis, please visit www.vernalis.com
Vernalis Forward-Looking Statement
This news release may contain forward-looking statements that reflect the Company's current expectations regarding future events including the clinical development and regulatory clearance of the Company's products, the Company's ability to find partners for the development and commercialisation of its products, as well as the Company's future capital raising activities. Forward-looking statements involve risks and uncertainties. Actual events could differ materially from those projected herein and depend on a number of factors including the success of the Company's research strategies, the applicability of the discoveries made therein, the successful and timely completion of clinical studies, the uncertainties related to the regulatory process, the ability of the Company to identify and agree beneficial terms with suitable partners for the commercialisation and/or development of its products, as well as the achievement of expected synergies from such transactions, the acceptance of frovatriptan and other products by consumers and medical professionals, the successful integration of completed mergers and acquisitions and achievement of expected synergies from such transactions, and the ability of the Company to identify and consummate suitable strategic and business combination transactions.
Click on, or paste the following link into your web browser, to view the associated PDF document.
This information is provided by RNS
The company news service from the London Stock Exchange
SYS-CON Events announced today that robomq.io will exhibit at SYS-CON's @ThingsExpo, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. robomq.io is an interoperable and composable platform that connects any device to any application. It helps systems integrators and the solution providers build new and innovative products and service for industries requiring monitoring or intelligence from devices and sensors.
Mar. 30, 2015 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,525
Today, IT is not just a cost center. IT is an enabler and driver of business. With the emergence of the hybrid cloud paradigm, IT now has increasingly more capabilities to create new strategic opportunities for a business. Hybrid cloud allows an organization to utilize multi-tenant public clouds, dedicated private clouds, bare metal hosting, and the associated support and services for the right use cases through an on-demand, XaaS model. This model of IT creates tremendous opportunities for busi...
Mar. 30, 2015 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,306
Wearable technology was dominant at this year’s International Consumer Electronics Show (CES) , and MWC was no exception to this trend. New versions of favorites, such as the Samsung Gear (three new products were released: the Gear 2, the Gear 2 Neo and the Gear Fit), shared the limelight with new wearables like Pebble Time Steel (the new premium version of the company’s previously released smartwatch) and the LG Watch Urbane. The most dramatic difference at MWC was an emphasis on presenting we...
Mar. 30, 2015 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,471
SYS-CON Events announced today that the DevOps Institute has been named “Association Sponsor” of SYS-CON's DevOps Summit, which will take place on June 9–11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. The DevOps Institute provides enterprise level training and certification. Working with thought leaders from the DevOps community, the IT Service Management field and the IT training market, the DevOps Institute is setting the standard in quality for DevOps education and training.
Mar. 30, 2015 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,223
Business as usual for IT is evolving into a “Make or Buy” decision on a service-by-service conversation with input from the LOBs. How does your organization move forward with cloud? In his general session at 16th Cloud Expo, Paul Maravei, Regional Sales Manager, Hybrid Cloud and Managed Services at Cisco, discusses how Cisco and its partners offer a market-leading portfolio and ecosystem of cloud infrastructure and application services that allow you to uniquely and securely combine cloud busi...
Mar. 30, 2015 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,504
Businesses are looking to empower employees and departments to do more, go faster, and streamline their processes. For all workers – but mobile workers especially – utilizing the cloud to reconnect documents and improve processes without destructing existing workflows can have a dramatic impact on productivity. In his session at 16th Cloud Expo, Mark Grilli, vice president of Acrobat Solutions marketing at Adobe Systems Incorporated, will outline new ways that the cloud is changing the way peo...
Mar. 30, 2015 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,381
WSM International has launched a DevOps services division that offers assessment, consulting and implementation to large enterprises and organizations with complex infrastructures. The concept of DevOps is to blend information technology (IT) software development with operations to optimize the computing infrastructure according to the specific needs of the organization. According to a recent press release from Gartner, "By 2016, DevOps will evolve from a niche strategy employed by large cloud ...
Mar. 30, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,368
SYS-CON Events announced today that Solgenia will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Solgenia is the global market leader in Cloud Collaboration and Cloud Infrastructure software solutions. Designed to “Bridge the Gap” between Personal and Professional S...
Mar. 30, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,921
SYS-CON Events announced today that QTS Realty Trust, one of the nation’s largest and fastest-growing providers of data center facilities and cloud services and a leader in security and compliance, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. QTS Realty Trust, Inc. (NYSE: QTS) is a leading national provider of data center solutions and fully managed services, and a leader in security and compliance...
Mar. 30, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,327
SYS-CON Events announced today that WSM International (WSM), the world’s leading cloud and server migration services provider, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. WSM is a solutions integrator with a core focus on cloud and server migration, transformation and DevOps services.
Mar. 30, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,361
SYS-CON Events announced today that MangoApps will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY., and the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. MangoApps provides private all-in-one social intranets allowing workers to securely collaborate from anywhere in the world and from any device. Social, mobile, and eas...
Mar. 30, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,109
Sematext is a globally distributed organization that builds innovative Cloud and On Premises solutions for performance monitoring, alerting and anomaly detection (SPM), log management and analytics (Logsene), and search analytics (SSA). We also provide Search and Big Data consulting services and offer 24/7 production support for Solr and Elasticsearch.
Mar. 30, 2015 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,536
The speed of software changes in growing and large scale rapid-paced DevOps environments presents a challenge for continuous testing. Many organizations struggle to get this right. Practices that work for small scale continuous testing may not be sufficient as the requirements grow. In his session at DevOps Summit, Marc Hornbeek, Sr. Solutions Architect of DevOps continuous test solutions at Spirent Communications, will explain the best practices of continuous testing at high scale, which is r...
Mar. 30, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,033
Modern Systems announced completion of a successful project with its new Rapid Program Modernization (eavRPMa"c) software. The eavRPMa"c technology architecturally transforms legacy applications, enabling faster feature development and reducing time-to-market for critical software updates. Working with Modern Systems, the University of California at Santa Barbara (UCSB) leveraged eavRPMa"c to transform its Student Information System from Software AG's Natural syntax to a modern application lev...
Mar. 30, 2015 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,055
DevOps is all the rage these days and with good reason as it promises to reduce the time-to-market for new applications. It also promises to improve change management, allowing teams to deploy changes to their applications quickly and efficiently. However, DevOps isn’t something you buy, install, or implement; rather it is the symptom of an appropriate organizational system. In his session at DevOps Summit, Mark Thiele, EVP, Data Center Technologies at SUPERNAP International, will discuss how ...
Mar. 30, 2015 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,468