|By PR Newswire||
|August 7, 2014 10:00 AM EDT||
BURLINGTON, Mass., Aug. 7, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Decision Resources Group finds that the United States spinal implant market will expand modestly through 2022 to reach a value of nearly $7.1 billion. Longstanding factors such as the aging population, rising rates of obesity and increasing adoption of nonfusion devices will be primary market drivers, although the market will continue to be shaped by changing regulations.
Other key findings from Decision Resources Group's coverage of the U.S. spinal implant market:
- Affordable Care Act: The Affordable Care Act (ACA) continues to influence the spinal implant market. Similar to what has been noted in other orthopedic device markets, spinal implant procedures experienced a spike in growth in the last quarter of 2013; as a result of uncertainty regarding the ACA, patients and physicians pulled forward procedures that would have been scheduled in 2014. The ACA will, however, ultimately have a positive impact on the spinal implant market due to a growing insured population.
- Minimally invasive procedures: As demand rises for minimally invasive spine procedures, a growing proportion of procedures will be able to be performed at ambulatory surgical centers (ASCs). For example, anterior cervical discectomies and fusions, which are less invasive than cervical procedures using the posterior approach, are likely to fuel spinal implant procedure uptake in ASCs.
- Stringent reimbursement: Receiving reimbursement for spinal implant procedures has become more difficult in the U.S. as insurers attempt to control costs. Because spinal implant procedures are expensive and insurers believe they are overperformed, they are requiring additional information for successful claims, especially for treatments for degenerative disc disease.
Comments from Decision Resources Group Analyst Rene Azeez:
- "Beyond the implementation of the ACA, there have been a number of fascinating events that speak to the current status of the spinal implant market. We are seeing a heavy focus on manufacturers developing technologies that will allow them to change their site of service or differentiate themselves in some way. Recent strategic investments into arenas such as expanding manufacturing capabilities or creating products with unique material composition illustrate the importance of innovation in today's marketplace."
- "Merger and acquisition activity in the spinal implant market, and the orthopedic market on the whole, is particularly evident. Partnerships and takeovers are rampant, partially owing to the lingering tough economic climate in the U.S., making consolidation among other factors attractive. The recent acquisition of Biomet by Zimmer exemplifies this trend."
- Rene Azeez has written a Medtech 360 report on this subject entitled US Markets for Spinal Implants 2014.
About Decision Resources Group
Decision Resources Group offers best-in-class, high-value information and insights on critical issues within the healthcare industry. Clients rely on this analysis and data to make informed decisions. Find out more at www.DecisionResourcesGroup.com.
Decision Resources Group
All company, brand, or product names contained in this document may be trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders.
SOURCE Decision Resources Group
Code Halos - aka "digital fingerprints" - are the key organizing principle to understand a) how dumb things become smart and b) how to monetize this dynamic. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Robert Brown, AVP, Center for the Future of Work at Cognizant Technology Solutions, outlined research, analysis and recommendations from his recently published book on this phenomena on the way leading edge organizations like GE and Disney are unlocking the Internet of Things opportunity and what steps your o...
Jan. 27, 2015 02:00 AM EST Reads: 2,779
“DevOps is really about the business. The business is under pressure today, competitively in the marketplace to respond to the expectations of the customer. The business is driving IT and the problem is that IT isn't responding fast enough," explained Mark Levy, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Serena Software, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at DevOps Summit, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Jan. 27, 2015 01:30 AM EST Reads: 2,253
15th Cloud Expo, which took place Nov. 4-6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, expanded the conference content of @ThingsExpo, Big Data Expo, and DevOps Summit to include two developer events. IBM held a Bluemix Developer Playground on November 5 and ElasticBox held a Hackathon on November 6. Both events took place on the expo floor. The Bluemix Developer Playground, for developers of all levels, highlighted the ease of use of Bluemix, its services and functionalit...
Jan. 27, 2015 01:30 AM EST Reads: 2,452
In their session at @ThingsExpo, Shyam Varan Nath, Principal Architect at GE, and Ibrahim Gokcen, who leads GE's advanced IoT analytics, focused on the Internet of Things / Industrial Internet and how to make it operational for business end-users. Learn about the challenges posed by machine and sensor data and how to marry it with enterprise data. They also discussed the tips and tricks to provide the Industrial Internet as an end-user consumable service using Big Data Analytics and Industrial C...
Jan. 27, 2015 01:00 AM EST Reads: 2,606
SYS-CON Media announced that Splunk, a provider of the leading software platform for real-time Operational Intelligence, has launched an ad campaign on Big Data Journal. Splunk software and cloud services enable organizations to search, monitor, analyze and visualize machine-generated big data coming from websites, applications, servers, networks, sensors and mobile devices. The ads focus on delivering ROI - how improved uptime delivered $6M in annual ROI, improving customer operations by minin...
Jan. 27, 2015 12:30 AM EST Reads: 3,565
IBM has announced a new strategic technology services agreement with Anthem, Inc., a health benefits company in the U.S. IBM has been selected to provide operational services for Anthem's mainframe and data center server and storage infrastructure for the next five years. Among the benefits of the relationship, Anthem has the ability to leverage IBM Cloud solutions that will help increase the ease, availability and speed of adding infrastructure to support new business requirements.
Jan. 27, 2015 12:00 AM EST Reads: 1,315
Things are being built upon cloud foundations to transform organizations. This CEO Power Panel at 15th Cloud Expo, moderated by Roger Strukhoff, Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo conference chair, addressed the big issues involving these technologies and, more important, the results they will achieve. Rodney Rogers, chairman and CEO of Virtustream; Brendan O'Brien, co-founder of Aria Systems, Bart Copeland, president and CEO of ActiveState Software; Jim Cowie, chief scientist at Dyn; Dave Wagstaff, VP ...
Jan. 27, 2015 12:00 AM EST Reads: 2,563
"SOASTA built the concept of cloud testing in 2008. It's grown from rather meager beginnings to where now we are provisioning hundreds of thousands of servers on a daily basis on behalf of customers around the world to test their applications," explained Tom Lounibos, CEO of SOASTA, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at DevOps Summit, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Jan. 27, 2015 12:00 AM EST Reads: 2,343
SYS-CON Media announced today that PagerDuty has launched a popular blog feed on DevOps Journal. DevOps Journal is focused on this critical enterprise IT topic in the world of cloud computing. DevOps Journal brings valuable information to DevOps professionals who are transforming the way enterprise IT is done.
Jan. 26, 2015 11:45 PM EST Reads: 1,442
SYS-CON Media announced that Cisco, a worldwide leader in IT that helps companies seize the opportunities of tomorrow, has launched a new ad campaign in Cloud Computing Journal. The ad campaign, a webcast titled 'Is Your Data Center Ready for the Application Economy?', focuses on the latest data center networking technologies, including SDN or ACI, and how customers are using SDN and ACI in their organizations to achieve business agility. The Cisco webcast is available on-demand.
Jan. 26, 2015 11:30 PM EST Reads: 1,358
“The year of the cloud – we have no idea when it's really happening but we think it's happening now. For those technology providers like Zentera that are helping enterprises move to the cloud - it's been fun to watch," noted Mike Loftus, VP Product Management and Marketing at Zentera Systems, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at Cloud Expo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Jan. 26, 2015 11:00 PM EST Reads: 1,929
Today’s enterprise is being driven by disruptive competitive and human capital requirements to provide enterprise application access through not only desktops, but also mobile devices. To retrofit existing programs across all these devices using traditional programming methods is very costly and time consuming – often prohibitively so. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Jesse Shiah, CEO, President, and Co-Founder of AgilePoint Inc., discussed how you can create applications that run on all mobile ...
Jan. 26, 2015 09:00 PM EST Reads: 2,564
The Industrial Internet revolution is now underway, enabled by connected machines and billions of devices that communicate and collaborate. The massive amounts of Big Data requiring real-time analysis is flooding legacy IT systems and giving way to cloud environments that can handle the unpredictable workloads. Yet many barriers remain until we can fully realize the opportunities and benefits from the convergence of machines and devices with Big Data and the cloud, including interoperability, ...
Jan. 26, 2015 07:45 PM EST Reads: 2,532
Companies today struggle to manage the types and volume of data their customers and employees generate and use every day. With billions of requests daily, operational consistency can be elusive. In his session at Big Data Expo, Dave McCrory, CTO at Basho Technologies, will explore how a distributed systems solution, such as NoSQL, can give organizations the consistency and availability necessary to succeed with on-demand data, offering high availability at massive scale.
Jan. 26, 2015 07:30 PM EST Reads: 1,530
IoT is still a vague buzzword for many people. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Mike Kavis, Vice President & Principal Cloud Architect at Cloud Technology Partners, discussed the business value of IoT that goes far beyond the general public's perception that IoT is all about wearables and home consumer services. He also discussed how IoT is perceived by investors and how venture capitalist access this space. Other topics discussed were barriers to success, what is new, what is old, and what th...
Jan. 26, 2015 06:15 PM EST Reads: 3,884