|By Marketwired .||
|August 13, 2014 02:09 PM EDT||
TORONTO, ON -- (Marketwired) -- 08/13/14 -- Have you ever wondered what it's like on the other side of the business and first class curtain? The VIP treatment, the free-flowing drinks, gourmet meals/fine dining, the comfy seats or, better yet, beds. Ahhhh... the good life. And what about those secret perks in the complimentary "amenity kits" -- your own personal in-flight "swag" bag? The travel experts at Cheapflights.ca, the online leader in finding and publishing travel deals, have gotten their hands on and reviewed first and business class amenity kits from 27 airlines around the world. Now you can get the inside scoop on what's inside these bags; what makes them special; who would love them most and how Cheapflights rates them from one star (taxiing) to six stars (fly me to the moon).
"For many of us, First Class and Business Class are a mysterious place and we wanted to get a better idea of what life is like in that rarefied space. The kits are glorious examples of life's 'finer things' and a peek into a lifestyle that maybe, on a special occasion, we can achieve as well," said Oonagh Shiel, Cheapflights editor, travel expert and leader of the First Class kits review team. "After examining all these kits, though, we were struck mostly by the attention to detail and the touches of local cultures and craftsmanship that are a reminder of how diverse the world is and how exciting travel can be."
Part Hollywood A-list swag bag and part practical travel accessory, amenity kits are where airlines roll out the red carpet for their elite customers. Of the 27 airlines reviewed, which ranged from airberlin to QANTAS to Virgin Atlantic, only five had kits that earned the highest rating of six stars = fly me to the moon. Below is a brief glimpse into these four luxury amenity kits:
- EMIRATES - Emirates is the world of the private suite and the deluxe spa experience (in the Emirates A380 that is...). Its travel kit is outstanding, dark brown leather (ever so slightly distressed), designed by Bulgari and filled with a mix of high-end (Bulgari) and practical (Gillette and Colgate) items. It's branded very discreetly.
- Best bit of kit? It's got to be the leather bag. Soft, ever so slightly distressed, like the wash bag your grandfather used at boarding school.
- Best for? Elite sportsmen and businesspeople who may not have been born with a silver spoon in their mouths but who would like to appear as if they had.
- UNITED AIRLINES - United Global First - This kit comes in the United's navy-blue colour classic cosmetic bag and is filled with an array of products. United Business First - Packed in a patterned grey wash bag with a mesh back is a range of products ensuring passengers' wellness during the Business First flight.
- Best bit of kit? The "value". Between the dental-hygiene products and the skincare products we could survive for a week on this kit.
- Best for? Social-media millionaires with a short attention span.
- QATAR AIRWAYS - Qatar Airways has grown from being a small, regional carrier to a globe-girdling airline, a regular in the Skytrax World Airline Awards (Airline of the Year in 2011 and 2012 and winner of Best Business Class this year). Qatar has a young fleet of aircraft and has set the bar stratospherically high with its faultless service and first-rate cabins. There's nothing as prosaic as toothbrushes, toothpaste or razors in Qatar's kits. Instead, you'll find everything you need in the on-board toilets. Junior flyers are not forgotten with Spongebob backpacks, colouring books and a soft toy that can be popped under a tired little head.
- Best bit of kit? The ultra-luxe Dior and Ferragamo products.
- Best for? Globe-trotting moguls and thought leaders.
- JAPAN AIRLINES - Japan Airlines recently unveiled their new travel kits. There are two for First-Class flyers. One for flights out of Japan -- a beige canvas one for spring and summer, a brown one for autumn and winter flights -- and the other returning to Japan -- luxe corduroy in camel for spring and summer, and moss green for autumn and winter. This is the Japanese carrier's first collaboration with Loewe, the Spanish luxury brand that has been in business since 1846.
- Best bit of kit? The bags. Japan Airlines has thought of everything. They're beautifully engineered with an innovative zip / strap on the camel corduroy one and a hanger in the canvas bag. We're dying to see the moss-green corduroy bag. We'd book flights for it.
- Best for? High-net-worth creatives for whom form follows function.
- ETIHAD - There's an interesting story behind Etihad's limited-edition kits. The airline worked with Sougha (it means "a traveller's gift" in Arabic), a social enterprise initiative that's preserving the Emirati heritage and promoting local artisans, to produce their travel kits. The kits feature patterns of Sadou, an ancient, Abu Dhabi weaving craft, which evokes the romance of Bedouin tents.
- Best bit of kit? The bags, they're beautiful, elegant and earthy. They're helping local Emiratis. And they have a whiff of lavender about them which means you could use them as a pillow.
- Best for? Rich storytellers and novelists who like a rich back story. Admirers of companies that champion local traditions and heritage.
Amenity kits, you could say, are the icing on the proverbial cake, and every airline has its own recipe. To get the full inside scoop, check out the complete reviews and rankings (images too) of Cheapflights.ca's "Behind the curtain: Airline amenity kits unpacked" at www.cheapflights.ca/news/behind-curtain-airline-amenity-kits-unpacked.
About Cheapflights.ca, part of the Momondo Group
Momondo Group is an online travel media and technology company that is driven by the belief that an open world is a better world. The group now serves travel search and inspiration to over 17.5 million visitors a month -- plus 7 million travel newsletter subscribers -- via its Cheapflights (www.cheapflights.ca) and momondo (www.momondo.com) brands.
Skygate began the sourcing of complex air-travel data in 1992, while Cheapflights pioneered the online comparison of flight deals for users in 1996 and momondo launched meta-search in the Nordic countries in 2006.
The Group has offices in London, Copenhagen, Boston and Toronto, with a consumer base across more than 25 core international markets but users all over the world.
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2657112
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2655142
SYS-CON Events announced today that CommVault has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. A singular vision – a belief in a better way to address current and future data management needs – guides CommVault in the development of Singular In...
Apr. 25, 2015 04:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,013
SYS-CON Events announced today that SafeLogic has been named “Bag Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo® New York, which will take place June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. SafeLogic provides security products for applications in mobile and server/appliance environments. SafeLogic’s flagship product CryptoComply is a FIPS 140-2 validated cryptographic engine designed to secure data on servers, workstations, appliances, mobile devices, and in the Cloud....
Apr. 25, 2015 04:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,092
SYS-CON Events announced today that FierceDevOps will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. FierceDevOps keeps software developers and IT operations personnel updated on the latest news and trends around the rapidly evolving role of the traditional IT worker.
Apr. 25, 2015 04:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,116
BroadSoft on Tuesday announced that it is a recipient of the 2014 Frost & Sullivan Market Leadership Award in the Hosted/Cloud Internet Protocol (IP) Telephony market for Latin America. According to Frost & Sullivan market research, the Latin America (LATAM) hosted/cloud Internet Protocol (IP) telephony market, including integrated unified communications and collaboration (UC&C) applications, is currently experiencing a rapid growth trajectory and is expected to exhibit a tenfold rise in annual...
Apr. 25, 2015 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,348
SYS-CON Events announced today that StorPool Storage will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. StorPool is distributed storage software that allows service providers, enterprises and other cloud builders to run data storage on standard x86 servers, instead of using expensive and inefficient storage arrays (SAN).
Apr. 25, 2015 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,220
The best mobile applications are augmented by dedicated servers, the Internet and Cloud services. Mobile developers should focus on one thing: writing the next socially disruptive viral app. Thanks to the cloud, they can focus on the overall solution, not the underlying plumbing. From iOS to Android and Windows, developers can leverage cloud services to create a common cross-platform backend to persist user settings, app data, broadcast notifications, run jobs, etc. This session provide...
Apr. 25, 2015 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,340
Temasys has announced senior management additions to its team. Joining are David Holloway as Vice President of Commercial and Nadine Yap as Vice President of Product. Over the past 12 months Temasys has doubled in size as it adds new customers and expands the development of its Skylink platform. Skylink leads the charge to move WebRTC, traditionally seen as a desktop, browser based technology, to become a ubiquitous web communications technology on web and mobile, as well as Internet of Things...
Apr. 25, 2015 03:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,283
SYS-CON Events announced today that QTS Realty Trust, one of the nation’s largest and fastest-growing providers of data center facilities and cloud services and a leader in security and compliance, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. QTS Realty Trust, Inc. (NYSE: QTS) is a leading national provider of data center solutions and fully managed services, and a leader in security and compliance...
Apr. 25, 2015 03:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,911
SYS-CON Events announced today that IndependenceIT, a leading software provider of simplified IT management solutions for workspaces, applications and desktops-as-a-service, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. IndependenceIT's Cloud Workspace® Suite combines application, end-user and infrastructure management into a seamless, easy-to-manage platform, with a unified management interface an...
Apr. 25, 2015 03:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,837
GENBAND has announced that SageNet is leveraging the Nuvia platform to deliver Unified Communications as a Service (UCaaS) to its large base of retail and enterprise customers. Nuvia’s cloud-based solution provides SageNet’s customers with a full suite of business communications and collaboration tools. Two large national SageNet retail customers have recently signed up to deploy the Nuvia platform and the company will continue to sell the service to new and existing customers. Nuvia’s capabili...
Apr. 25, 2015 03:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,883
SOASTA, the leader in performance analytics, today reported record growth of the CloudTest community, exceeding 30,000 registered users of the CloudTest platform in Q1 2015. SOASTA also announced widespread adoption of its Web and mobile testing solutions, with more than 1,600 customers completing more than 285,000 tests using CloudTest during the quarter. This rapid growth shows that DevOps-driven digital businesses are embracing a more continuous approach to testing, and CloudTest is meeting t...
Apr. 25, 2015 03:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,552
SYS-CON Events announced today that that Innodisk, the service-driven provider of industrial embedded flash and DRAM storage products and technologies, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Innodisk is a service-driven provider of industrial embedded flash and DRAM storage products and technologies. With satisfied customers across the embedded, aerospace and defense, cloud storage markets an...
Apr. 25, 2015 03:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,912
SYS-CON Events announced today that WSM International (WSM), the world’s leading cloud and server migration services provider, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. WSM is a solutions integrator with a core focus on cloud and server migration, transformation and DevOps services.
Apr. 25, 2015 02:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,990
VoxImplant has announced full WebRTC support in the newest versions of its Android SDK and iOS SDK. The updated SDKs, which enable audio and video calls on mobile devices, are now compatible with the WebRTC standard to allow any mobile app to communicate with WebRTC-enabled browsers, including Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Opera, and, when available, Microsoft Spartan. The WebRTC-updated SDKs represent VoxImplant's continued leadership in simplifying the development of real-time communication...
Apr. 25, 2015 02:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,197
SYS-CON Events announced today that Site24x7, the cloud infrastructure monitoring service, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Site24x7 is a cloud infrastructure monitoring service that helps monitor the uptime and performance of websites, online applications, servers, mobile websites and custom APIs. The monitoring is done from 50+ locations across the world and from various wireless carr...
Apr. 25, 2015 02:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,061