|By PR Newswire||
|August 13, 2014 03:08 PM EDT||
WASHINGTON, Aug. 13, 2014 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund has announced the selection of Senior Investigator John Vescio, of the New York State Police Department, as the recipient of its Officer of the Month Award for August 2014.
Located in the nation's capital, the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund is a nonprofit organization dedicated to telling the story of American law enforcement and making it safer for those who serve. The Memorial Fund's Officer of the Month Award Program began in 1996 and recognizes federal, state, and local officers who distinguish themselves through exemplary law enforcement service and devotion to duty.
Investigator Vescio, along with the other Officer of the Month Award winners for 2014, will be honored at a special awards luncheon in Washington, DC, in May 2015, during National Police Week. In addition, their stories of heroism and service will be featured in the Memorial Fund's annual calendar.
- On June 3, 2014, Investigator Vescio was off-duty when he stopped at a busy gas station to fill up his department vehicle. He was standing at the pump next to his vehicle when suddenly a sedan slammed into the opposite side of the pump. The sedan struck the pump with such force that it hit Investigator Vescio and immediately caught on fire.
- Following his instincts, Investigator Vescio quickly ran away from the burning pump and vehicles. However, once he reached a safe distance, he realized that there was an elderly man slumped over in the sedan, which was rapidly being consumed by fire. Disregarding his own safety, Investigator Vescio ran back toward the burning car in order to save the elderly man.
- Investigator Vescio reached the sedan and discovered the elderly man was unresponsive and pinned inside the vehicle due to the damage caused by the impact. Investigator Vescio unfastened the man's seatbelt and tried to pull him out of the car. After several attempts, he was able to get the man free of the car and drag him to safety.
- After removing the victim from his damaged vehicle, Investigator Vescio again placed himself in danger by returning to the fire in order to retrieve his first aid kit from the trunk of his vehicle. With the kit, Investigator Vescio was able to provide first aid to the elderly man until medical personnel arrived on the scene.
- Miraculously, Investigator Vescio and the crash victim escaped from the incident with no major injuries. Later, it was revealed that the elderly man had suffered a diabetic episode and passed out, causing him to lose control of his vehicle and crash into the pump.
- Regarding the incident, Major Keith Corlett of the New York State Police Department said, "I think John [Investigator Vescio] did a very heroic thing. He starts off as a civilian, becomes a victim, and then his police training kicks in and he actually saved somebody's life."
- "The National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund is honored to present Senior Investigator John Vescio with our Officer of the Month Award for August 2014," said Craig W. Floyd, Memorial Fund Chairman & CEO. "His innate instincts and his police training assisted him in saving the life of a civilian in the community," he said. "He is an ideal candidate for the Officer of the Month Award."
For more information about the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund's Officer of the Month Award, visit www.LawMemorial.org/OTM.
About the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund
Established in 1984, the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund is a non-profit organization dedicated to telling the story of American law enforcement and making it safer for those who serve. The Memorial Fund maintains the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial in Washington, DC, which contains the names of 20,267 officers who have died in the line of duty throughout U.S. history. The Memorial Fund is now working to create the National Law Enforcement Museum, which will tell the story of American law enforcement through high-tech, interactive exhibitions, historical artifacts and extensive educational programming. For more information, visit www.LawMemorial.org
SOURCE National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund
DevOps Summit at Cloud Expo New York is offering a limited time FREE "Expo Plus" registration option in New York. On site registration price of $1,95 will be set to 'free' for delegates who register during special offer. To take advantage of this opportunity, attendees can use the coupon code, and secure their registration to attend all keynotes, @DevOpsSummit sessions at Cloud Expo, expo floor, and SYS-CON.tv power panels. Special FREE registration givess access to all Containers and Microservi...
Jun. 2, 2015 07:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,091
DevOps Summit, taking place Nov 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 17th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long developmen...
Jun. 2, 2015 07:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,396
"We have developers who are really passionate about getting their code out to customers, no matter what, in the shortest possible time. Operations are very focused on procedures and policies," explained Stan Klimoff, CTO of Qubell, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at DevOps Summit, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Jun. 2, 2015 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 4,971
“We help people build clusters, in the classical sense of the cluster. We help people put a full stack on top of every single one of those machines. We do the full bare metal install," explained Greg Bruno, Vice President of Engineering and co-founder of StackIQ, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 15th Cloud Expo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Jun. 2, 2015 06:15 PM EDT Reads: 4,562
Jun. 2, 2015 06:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,001
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo in Silicon Valley. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be! Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place Nov 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 17th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading in...
Jun. 2, 2015 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,709
"Verizon offers public cloud, virtual private cloud as well as private cloud on-premises - many different alternatives. Verizon's deep knowledge in applications and the fact that we are responsible for applications that make call outs to other systems. Those systems and those resources may not be in Verizon Cloud, we understand at the end of the day it's going to be federated," explained Anne Plese, Senior Consultant, Cloud Product Marketing at Verizon Enterprise, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at...
Jun. 2, 2015 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 5,427
ThingsExpo New York is offering a limited time FREE "Expo Plus" registration option in New York. On site registration price of $1,95 will be set to 'free' for delegates who register during special offer. To take advantage of this opportunity, attendees can use the coupon code, and secure their registration to attend all keynotes, ThingsExpo sessions, expo floor, and SYS-CON.tv power panels. Special FREE registration givess access to all DevOps, Containers and Microservices sessions as well. Regi...
Jun. 2, 2015 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,104
Jun. 2, 2015 05:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,145
Health care systems across the globe are under enormous strain, as facilities reach capacity and costs continue to rise. M2M and the Internet of Things have the potential to transform the industry through connected health solutions that can make care more efficient while reducing costs. In fact, Vodafone's annual M2M Barometer Report forecasts M2M applications rising to 57 percent in health care and life sciences by 2016. Lively is one of Vodafone's health care partners, whose solutions enable o...
Jun. 2, 2015 05:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,880
Akana, a leading provider of API Management, API Security and Cloud Integration solutions, announced that it is introducing DevOps automation to the API lifecycle. New capabilities in Akana's API Management platform significantly reduce the time required to update API definitions and versions. DevOps teams will be able to work faster in designing and developing APIs, as well as managing them at runtime and publishing them to a portal.
Jun. 2, 2015 05:15 PM EDT Reads: 794
SYS-CON Events announced today that SUSE, a pioneer in open source software, will exhibit at SYS-CON's DevOps Summit 2015 New York, which will take place June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. SUSE provides reliable, interoperable Linux, cloud infrastructure and storage solutions that give enterprises greater control and flexibility. More than 20 years of engineering excellence, exceptional service and an unrivaled partner ecosystem power the products and support that help ...
Jun. 2, 2015 05:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,211
“DevOps is really about the business. The business is under pressure today, competitively in the marketplace to respond to the expectations of the customer. The business is driving IT and the problem is that IT isn't responding fast enough," explained Mark Levy, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Serena Software, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at DevOps Summit, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Jun. 2, 2015 05:15 PM EDT Reads: 4,160
Growth hacking is common for startups to make unheard-of progress in building their business. Career Hacks can help Geek Girls and those who support them (yes, that's you too, Dad!) to excel in this typically male-dominated world. Get ready to learn the facts: Is there a bias against women in the tech / developer communities? Why are women 50% of the workforce, but hold only 24% of the STEM or IT positions? Some beginnings of what to do about it!
Jun. 2, 2015 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 989
IndependenceIT has been selected by nGenx to power Windows-based DaaS and application delivery on Google Compute Engine to support the delivery of GoldMine Cloud software. For independent software vendors (ISVs) like GoldMine, this expands the theater of operations to increase revenue opportunities while reducing software management and maintenance liabilities. IndependenceIT was selected by application and desktop pioneer, nGenx, to deliver its “Bring Your Own Cloud” strategy to GoldMine and o...
Jun. 2, 2015 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 470