|By PR Newswire||
|August 15, 2014 10:45 AM EDT||
Minister Leitch launches new Call for Proposals for projects to expand economic opportunities for women
WINNIPEG, Aug. 15, 2014 /CNW/ - The Honourable Dr. K. Kellie Leitch, Minister of Labour and Minister of Status of Women, and Joy Smith, Member of Parliament for Kildonan—St. Paul, today invited organizations across Canada to propose new projects that will promote the economic prosperity of women in Canada, and position them for greater economic success. Minister Leitch made the announcement during a visit to the Women's Enterprise Centre of Manitoba in Winnipeg.
The Government of Canada will be supporting projects selected through a new Call for Proposals by Status of Women Canada entitled Increasing Economic Prosperity for Women. These projects will engage women and others in addressing the unique challenges facing women in today's economy, and remove the barriers that prevent them from contributing fully to the growth of the economy in their communities.
The deadline for applications to be submitted for this Call for Proposals is by noon (12:00 pm Pacific Daylight Time) on October 17, 2014.
To make the process easy, applications for funding are accepted online. Please click on "Apply Now" and follow the instructions to proceed with your online application.
This Call for Proposals by Status of Women Canada aligns with the Government of Canada's number one priority which is to support jobs, growth and long-term prosperity for all Canadians.
- Projects under this Call for Proposals will engage key stakeholders – institutions, employers, sector and professional organizations and local communities - to promote the economic prosperity of women in Canada. They will also address institutional barriers and other factors that limit economic opportunities for women.
- Through the Women's Program at Status of Women Canada, the Government of Canada has invested more than $54 million in projects that promote women's economic security and prosperity throughout the economy.
- On June 26, 2014, the report of the Government of Canada's Advisory Council for Promoting Women on Boards was released. It outlines a roadmap for improving the representation of women on public and private boards that will also build a stronger economy. One of the report's main recommendations is that public and private sectors in Canada aspire to seeing women attain 30% of all board positions over the next five years.
- Economic Action Plan 2014 outlined the Government's commitment to increasing mentorship for women looking to start their own businesses and become entrepreneurs.
"Our Government is committed to creating jobs, growth and long-term prosperity for all Canadians. We continue to support new projects that will help expand opportunities for women in communities across Canada because when women succeed, Canada succeeds."
The Honourable Dr. K. Kellie Leitch
Minister of Labour and Minister of Status of Women
"This Government of Canada initiative will support projects that expand economic opportunities for women in Winnipeg and across the country. It is another good example of how our Government's actions are helping Canadian women succeed and Canada prosper."
Member of Parliament for Kildonan—St. Paul
"We applaud the Government of Canada for continuing its efforts to create new economic opportunities for women across Canada. This Call for Proposals will make a tremendous difference in the lives of so many women and their families."
CEO, Women's Enterprise Centre of Manitoba
- Application Form
- Application Guide
- Information about the Call for Proposals Increasing Economic Prosperity for Women
- Information about the Women's Program at Status of Women Canada
- Follow us on Twitter: @Canada_swc
- Subscribe to our e-newsletter: Leading the Way
- Subscribe to our YouTube Channel: CanadaSWC
- Photos of Minister Leitch are available
Call for Proposals – Increasing Economic Prosperity for Women
The new Call for Proposals launched today by the Minister is entitled Economic Prosperity: Positioning Women for Success. It will provide funding for innovative projects at the national, regional, or community level that support economic opportunities for women in Canada.
Eligible organizations must address a number of project elements in their applications. More information is available at women.gc.ca.
Who is eligible under this Call for Proposals?
Eligible recipients include legally constituted organizations that are:
- Not-for-profit Canadian organizations, excluding labour unions;
- For-profit Canadian organizations, if the nature and intent of the funded activity is non-commercial and not intended to generate profit;
- Aboriginal governments (including band councils, tribal councils and self-government entities) and their agencies in rural and remote areas where there is a lack of capacity among non-profit and for-profit organizations; and
- Territorial governments (local, regional, territorial) and their agencies in the Yukon, Northwest Territories and Nunavut.
What is the deadline for applications?
The deadline for applications to be submitted for this Call for Proposals is by noon (12:00 pm Pacific Daylight Time) on October 17, 2014.
- To make the process easy, applications for funding are accepted online. Please click on "Apply Now" and follow the instructions to proceed with your online application.
- You may also find it useful to contact a Status of Women Canada program officer before submitting your application. Survey results show that most successful applicants consult with a program officer during the application process, either by contacting them directly or by attending an information session. To get in touch with a program officer, please contact the Status of Women Canada office in your region.
What are the eligible project/activities?
Funding is provided for activities related to a project that:
- Align with the call under which you submit your proposal;
- Articulates clear plans to achieve demonstrable results; and
- Involves women who are affected by the issue being addressed by the project.
The following projects/activities will not be funded:
- Those that take place outside of Canada, with the exception of activities related to the United Nations (UN) that connect directly to the project and have written approval from Status of Women Canada;
- Domestic advocacy activities and lobbying of federal, provincial and municipal governments;
- Ongoing activities; and
- Research and polling activities. (Research activities can be supported if they are directly linked to the project but are not its sole or major focus.)
Funding through the Women's Program
- The Women's Program of Status of Women Canada accepts applications for funding through calls for proposals, as well as on an ongoing basis. This allows Status of Women Canada to respond to emerging issues and increases opportunities for organizations to identify additional funding partners.
- Projects funded by Status of Women Canada are diverse in nature and scope, target different beneficiaries, apply a variety of strategies and implement various activities.
- All proposals are assessed against standard criteria which include eligibility, alignment with Program/Call for Proposal priorities, knowledge and experience of the applicant organization, partner collaboration, and budget.
Women in Canada's Economy
- In 2013, women represented 47.3% of the labour force, up from 45.7% in 1999 and 37.1% in 1976.[i]
- Although the gap between men's and women's labour market participation[ii] continues to narrow, women's participation rate still trails that of men. The labour market participation rate for women aged 15 to 74 was 68% in 2012, compared to 76% for men of the same age.[iii]
- Women held majority-ownership of 16% of small- and medium-sized businesses in 2011. However, women are more likley to own small than medium-sized businesses. In 2011, women had sole-ownership of 14% of small businesses and only 4% of medium-sized businesses.[iv]
- According to the BMO Financial Group, women-owned businesses currently employ over 1.5 million Canadians.[v]
- According to RBC Economics, in 2011, the contribution of majority-owned women's business to the Canadian economy was an estimated $148 billion.[vi]
i Statistics Canada "Labour Force Survey" Table 282-0087 (December 2013).accessed February 19, 2014 http://www5.statcan.gc.ca/cansim/a26?lang=eng&retrLang=eng&id=2820087&pattern=282-0069..282-0089&tabMode=dataTable&srchLan=-1&p1=-1&p2=31
ii The participation rate represents the labour force expressed as a percentage of the population aged 15 and over. The participation rate for a particular group (age, sex, etc.) is the labour force in that group expressed as a percentage of the population for that group.
iii Finance Canada. Jobs Report: the State of the Canadian Labour Market. (Feb 2014).
iv Industry Canada, Key Small Business Statistics (August 2013).
v BMO Financial Group. BMO Women's Day Study (March 2012).
vi RBC Economics, Canadian Women Grabbing the Baton (October 2013).
For news releases and information on Status of Women Canada, go to women.gc.ca.
SOURCE Status of Women Canada
SYS-CON Events announced today that SOA Software, an API management leader, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 15th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. SOA Software is a leading provider of API Management and SOA Governance products that equip business to deliver APIs and SOA together to drive their company to meet its business strategy quickly and effectively. SOA Software’s technology helps businesses to accel...
Oct. 23, 2014 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,269
How do APIs and IoT relate? The answer is not as simple as merely adding an API on top of a dumb device, but rather about understanding the architectural patterns for implementing an IoT fabric. There are typically two or three trends: Exposing the device to a management framework Exposing that management framework to a business centric logic • Exposing that business layer and data to end users. This last trend is the IoT stack, which involves a new shift in the separation of what stuff hap...
Oct. 23, 2014 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,322
SYS-CON Events announced today that Utimaco will exhibit at SYS-CON's 15th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Utimaco is a leading manufacturer of hardware based security solutions that provide the root of trust to keep cryptographic keys safe, secure critical digital infrastructures and protect high value data assets. Only Utimaco delivers a general-purpose hardware security module (HSM) as a customiz...
Oct. 23, 2014 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,292
Samsung VP Jacopo Lenzi, who headed the company's recent SmartThings acquisition under the auspices of Samsung's Open Innovaction Center (OIC), answered a few questions we had about the deal. This interview was in conjunction with our interview with SmartThings CEO Alex Hawkinson. IoT Journal: SmartThings was developed in an open, standards-agnostic platform, and will now be part of Samsung's Open Innovation Center. Can you elaborate on your commitment to keep the platform open? Jacopo Lenzi: S...
Oct. 23, 2014 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,999
Almost everyone sees the potential of Internet of Things but how can businesses truly unlock that potential. The key will be in the ability to discover business insight in the midst of an ocean of Big Data generated from billions of embedded devices via Systems of Discover. Businesses will also need to ensure that they can sustain that insight by leveraging the cloud for global reach, scale and elasticity.
Oct. 22, 2014 09:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,191
SYS-CON Events announced today that ElasticBox is holding a Hackathon at DevOps Summit, November 6 from 12 pm -4 pm at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. You can enter as an individual or team of up to 10 developers. A New Star Is Born Every Month! All completed ElasticBoxes will then be sent to a judging panel - 12 winners will be featured on the ElasticBox website in 2015. All entrants will receive five full enterprise licenses for one year + ElasticBox headphones + Elasti...
Oct. 22, 2014 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,450
Once the decision has been made to move part or all of a workload to the cloud, a methodology for selecting that workload needs to be established. How do you move to the cloud? What does the discovery, assessment and planning look like? What workloads make sense? Which cloud model makes sense for each workload? What are the considerations for how to select the right cloud model? And how does that fit in with the overall IT tranformation? In his session at 15th Cloud Expo, John Hatem, head of V...
Oct. 22, 2014 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,467
Cloud services are the newest tool in the arsenal of IT products in the market today. These cloud services integrate process and tools. In order to use these products effectively, organizations must have a good understanding of themselves and their business requirements. In his session at 15th Cloud Expo, Brian Lewis, Principal Architect at Verizon Cloud, will outline key areas of organizational focus, and how to formalize an actionable plan when migrating applications and internal services to...
Oct. 22, 2014 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,466
SAP is delivering break-through innovation combined with fantastic user experience powered by the market-leading in-memory technology, SAP HANA. In his General Session at 15th Cloud Expo, Thorsten Leiduck, VP ISVs & Digital Commerce, SAP, will discuss how SAP and partners provide cloud and hybrid cloud solutions as well as real-time Big Data offerings that help companies of all sizes and industries run better. SAP launched an application challenge to award the most innovative SAP HANA and SAP ...
Oct. 22, 2014 07:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,557
Ixia develops amazing products so its customers can connect the world. Ixia helps its customers provide an always-on user experience through fast, secure delivery of dynamic connected technologies and services. Through actionable insights that accelerate and secure application and service delivery, Ixia's customers benefit from faster time to market, optimized application performance and higher-quality deployments.
Oct. 21, 2014 09:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,456
SYS-CON Events announced today that Calm.io has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of DevOps Summit Silicon Valley, which will take place on November 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Calm.io is a cloud orchestration platform for AWS, vCenter, OpenStack, or bare metal, that runs your CL tools puppet, Chef, shell, git, Jenkins, nagios, and will soon support New Relic and Docker. It can run hosted, or on premise and provides VM automation / expiry, self-service portals,...
Oct. 21, 2014 08:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,383
In her General Session at 15th Cloud Expo, Anne Plese, Senior Consultant, Cloud Product Marketing, at Verizon Enterprise, will focus on finding the right mix of renting vs. buying Oracle capacity to scale to meet business demands, and offer validated Oracle database TCO models for Oracle development and testing environments. Anne Plese is a marketing and technology enthusiast/realist with over 19+ years in high tech. At Verizon Enterprise, she focuses on driving growth for the Verizon Cloud pla...
Oct. 21, 2014 07:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,461
SYS-CON Events announced today that Aria Systems, the recurring revenue expert, has been named "Bronze Sponsor" of SYS-CON's 15th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 4-6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Aria Systems helps leading businesses connect their customers with the products and services they love. Industry leaders like Pitney Bowes, Experian, AAA NCNU, VMware, HootSuite and many others choose Aria to power their recurring revenue bu...
Oct. 21, 2014 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,375
The Internet of Things (IoT) is going to require a new way of thinking and of developing software for speed, security and innovation. This requires IT leaders to balance business as usual while anticipating for the next market and technology trends. Cloud provides the right IT asset portfolio to help today’s IT leaders manage the old and prepare for the new. Today the cloud conversation is evolving from private and public to hybrid. This session will provide use cases and insights to reinforce t...
Oct. 21, 2014 05:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,437
As Platform as a Service (PaaS) matures as a category, developers should have the ability to use the programming language of their choice to build applications and have access to a wide array of services. Bluemix is IBM's open cloud development platform that enables users to easily build cloud-based, creative mobile and web applications without having to spend large amounts of time and resources on configuring infrastructure and multiple software licenses. In this track, you will learn about the...
Oct. 21, 2014 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,443
Blue Box has closed a $10 million Series B financing. The round was led by a strategic investor and included participation from prior investors including Voyager Capital and Founders Collective, as well as the Blue Box executive team. This round follows a $4.3 million Series A closed in December of 2012 and led by Voyager Capital. In May of this year, the company announced general availability of its private cloud as a service offering, Blue Box Cloud. Since that release, the company has dem...
Oct. 21, 2014 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,552
SYS-CON Events announced today that Verizon has been named "Gold Sponsor" of SYS-CON's 15th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 4-6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Verizon Enterprise Solutions creates global connections that generate growth, drive business innovation and move society forward. With industry-specific solutions and a full range of global wholesale offerings provided over the company's secure mobility, cloud, strategic network...
Oct. 21, 2014 09:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,614
SimpleECM is the only platform to offer a powerful combination of enterprise content management (ECM) services, capture solutions, and third-party business services providing simplified integrations and workflow development for solution providers. SimpleECM is opening the market to businesses of all sizes by reinventing the delivery of ECM services. Our APIs make the development of ECM services simple with the use of familiar technologies for a frictionless integration directly into web applicat...
Oct. 20, 2014 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,705
The only place to be June 9-11 is Cloud Expo & @ThingsExpo 2015 East at the Javits Center in New York City. Join us there as delegates from all over the world come to listen to and engage with speakers & sponsors from the leading Cloud Computing, IoT & Big Data companies. Cloud Expo & @ThingsExpo are the leading events covering the booming market of Cloud Computing, IoT & Big Data for the enterprise. Speakers from all over the world will be hand-picked for their ability to explore the economic...
Oct. 20, 2014 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,047
Cloudwick, the leading big data DevOps service and solution provider to the Fortune 1000, announced Big Loop, its multi-vendor operations platform. Cloudwick Big Loop creates greater collaboration between Fortune 1000 IT staff, developers and their database management systems as well as big data vendors. This allows customers to comprehensively manage and oversee their entire infrastructure, which leads to more successful production cluster operations, and scale-out. Cloudwick Big Loop supports ...
Oct. 20, 2014 05:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,711