|By PR Newswire||
|August 19, 2014 06:00 AM EDT||
SAN DIEGO, Aug. 19, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- In an effort to educate kids and their parents on small animal pet ownership, Petco is hosting a free "Small Pets Big Adventure" event to show families why these furry friends make great first pets. In addition to several fun benefits of owning a pet, kids and parents will learn about the patience, time and effort involved in bringing a new pet into the home, giving families a solid foundation for responsible and successful pet ownership.
On August 23 from 1-3 p.m., children ages 6- to 13-years old will have a chance to meet and hold hamsters, guinea pigs and other small animals. Kids will also learn proper care tips and discover these pets' natural instincts and habitats through fun games and trivia. Knowledgeable Petco partners across the nation will be available to educate prospective and current pet parents on:
- What kind of behavior to expect from their new small animal
- How to maintain a well-balanced diet for their pet
- Things to remember when feeding their pet
- How to create and maintain their pets' habitat
- How to introduce a pet to its new environment
- Proper pet grooming and hygiene tips
- How to recognize signs of a healthy pet
Families will also learn several fun facts about hamsters and guinea pigs including:
- Guinea pigs are crepuscular, which means they tend to be most active around dawn and dusk.
- Hamsters can learn their names.
- When excited, guinea pigs may repeatedly perform little hops in the air, also known as "popcorning."
- Hamsters can store food in special pouches in their cheeks.
- Guinea pigs communicate through a series of squeaks, chirps and purrs.
- Hamsters' teeth are always growing. They require chew toys, sticks or chews to help keep them worn down.
- A female guinea pig is called a "sow" and a male is called a "boar."
Children who attend will also receive an activity booklet filled with stickers, games, fun facts and more. For more information, please visit www.petco.com/smallpets.
About Petco and the Petco Foundation
Petco is a leading pet specialty retailer that focuses on nurturing powerful relationships between people and pets. We do this by providing the products, services, advice and experiences that keep pets physically fit, mentally alert, socially engaged and emotionally happy. Everything we do is guided by our vision for Healthier Pets. Happier People. Better World. We operate more than 1,300 Petco locations across the U.S., Mexico and Puerto Rico, including more than 100 Unleashed by Petco locations, a smaller format neighborhood shop; 10 Pooch Hotel destinations for pet daycare, boarding and spa services; and petco.com. The Petco Foundation, an independent nonprofit organization, has raised more than $125 million since it was created in 1999 to help promote and improve the welfare of companion animals. In conjunction with the Foundation, we work with and support thousands of local animal welfare groups across the country and, through in-store adoption events, help find homes for more than 400,000 animals every year.