|By Marketwired .||
|August 20, 2014 02:08 PM EDT||
TORONTO, ON -- (Marketwired) -- 08/20/14 -- Looking for a side of adventure for your next beach trip? Want to go above and beyond for a beach day unlike any other? The travel experts at Cheapflights.ca, the online leader in finding and publishing travel deals, are here to help with their 10 Trek-Worthy Beaches around the World. These idyllic spots are far from your average day at the beach. You just need to be willing to put in a little effort to get there!
Here are five "off the beaten path" beaches located in the Americas where the reward is worth the journey:
- Kalalau Beach, Kauai, Hawaii, United States-Rugged and majestic, Kauai's Na Pali Coast will steal anyone's breath. And getting a glimpse of it is no easy feat. After all, this sweeping coastline is largely inaccessible by land; most will only gaze upon it from a helicopter, catamaran or movie theater seat. But there is one way to make the trek on foot -- an 18-kilometre hike along the Kalalau Trail, which crosses cliffs and traverses five valleys before dipping to sea level and ending at Kalalau Beach. The trail is known for being treacherous, but those who conquer it will arrive at this hard-to-reach beach and get a chance to feast their eyes on some truly stunning scenery from a rare vantage point. Hikers can camp behind the beach, but a permit is necessary, and timing is key as the beach typically gets swept away with the winter surf.
- The beaches of Cabo Polonio, Uruguay-No official roads lead to Cabo Polonio; a horseback ride, a healthy walk or a cruise in a four-wheel-drive vehicle are the only modes of transportation that will bring you over the dunes to this village and its beaches. That is, after you first take a four-hour bus ride from Montevideo. Largely devoid of electricity and running water, Cabo Polonio has fewer than 100 residents and sits on a sandy peninsula that serves up different beach experiences on either side -- one side features serious waves, while the other is more sheltered and offers calm waters ideal for swimming. In the off-season, you may even be the only one on these beaches. Don't miss the lighthouse, which was built in the late 1800s, and the colony of sea lions that call Cabo Polonio home.
- Chesterman Beach, Tofino, British Columbia, Canada-Surrounded by pretty houses and bed and breakfasts, Chesterman Beach is one of the top beaches in Tofino -- a district situated along Vancouver Island's western coast. Once you're in the area, Chesterman isn't difficult to access, but getting to Tofino is where the adventure lies. Visitors have a few travel options from mainland British Columbia: fly into Tofino on a local jet or seaplane, take the Tofino Bus, book a shuttle, or take a ferry (departing from either Horseshoe Bay or Tsawwassen) to Nanaimo then drive. Once you make your way to this beach, you'll be treated to three kilometres of white sand, tidepools full of marine life, an ideal place to learn to surf (surf schools offer up lessons), and a chance to walk out to Frank Island at low tide to get a panoramic view of the beach backed by snow-topped mountains.
- Devil's Bay, Virgin Gorda, British Virgin Islands-Quick, but chock full of adventure, the 15-minute trek to Devil's Bay begins at the parking lot at the top of The Baths and passes through vegetation and giant boulders before arriving at the bay and its beach. Crawling, climbing ladders and wading through water are all requisite activities along the way, but at the end of this boulder-filled path is arguably one of Virgin Gorda's most stunning beaches. This geological wonder is a popular tourist spot, so it's best to go early or late to avoid crowds and take full advantage of what's often described as some of the best snorkelling you can find.
- Playa Cocalito, Nicoya Peninsula, Costa Rica-If you're looking to make like a castaway, Playa Cocalito is the place to do it. You won't see any crowds on this Costa Rican beach -- largely because it's difficult to get here. If you can't get a boat ride from a local fisherman or guide (who will reportedly sometimes barbecue fish on the beach for you), you'll walk at least an hour and a half through jungle from Montezuma. A suspension bridge and plenty of local flora and fauna are all part of the journey. If you'd rather take a horseback tour from Montezuma, that's also an option. Peppered with driftwood and palm trees, Playa Cocalito is deserted and beautiful with smooth sand and calm waters that are great for swimming. Don't miss the El Chorro waterfall (to the north of the beach) with its lava rock swimming pools.
The other beautiful but remote beaches to make our list are: Whitehaven Beach, Whitsunday Island, Queensland, Australia; Beach on the other side of Emerald Cave, Koh Mook, Thailand; New Chums Beach, Coromandel Peninsula, New Zealand; Kynance Cove Beach, Lizard, Cornwall, England and Rauðisandur Beach (Red Sands Beach), Westfjords, Iceland. To read the adventurous details on these and see Cheapflights.ca's complete list of 10 Trek-Worthy Beaches around the World, visit www.cheapflights.ca/news/10-trek-worthy-beaches-around-world.
About Cheapflights.ca, part of the Momondo Group
Momondo Group is an online travel media and technology company that is driven by the belief that an open world is a better world. The group now serves travel search and inspiration to over 17.5 million visitors a month -- plus 7 million travel newsletter subscribers -- via its Cheapflights (www.cheapflights.ca) and momondo (www.momondo.com) brands.
Skygate began the sourcing of complex air-travel data in 1992, while Cheapflights pioneered the online comparison of flight deals for users in 1996 and momondo launched meta-search in the Nordic countries in 2006.
The Group has offices in London, Copenhagen, Boston and Toronto, with a consumer base across more than 25 core international markets but users all over the world.
Follow us on Twitter: twitter.com/cheapflights
Follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/cheapflights
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2660809
For better or worse, DevOps has gone mainstream. All doubt was removed when IBM and HP threw up their respective DevOps microsites. Where are we on the hype cycle? It's hard to say for sure but there's a feeling we're heading for the "Peak of Inflated Expectations." What does this mean for the enterprise? Should they avoid DevOps? Definitely not. Should they be cautious though? Absolutely. The truth is that DevOps and the enterprise are at best strange bedfellows. The movement has its roots in t...
May. 25, 2015 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 6,175
The true value of the Internet of Things (IoT) lies not just in the data, but through the services that protect the data, perform the analysis and present findings in a usable way. With many IoT elements rooted in traditional IT components, Big Data and IoT isn’t just a play for enterprise. In fact, the IoT presents SMBs with the prospect of launching entirely new activities and exploring innovative areas. CompTIA research identifies several areas where IoT is expected to have the greatest impac...
May. 25, 2015 09:00 PM EDT Reads: 4,724
There is little doubt that Big Data solutions will have an increasing role in the Enterprise IT mainstream over time. 8th International Big Data Expo, co-located with 17th International Cloud Expo - to be held November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA - has announced its Call for Papers is open. As advanced data storage, access and analytics technologies aimed at handling high-volume and/or fast moving data all move center stage, aided by the cloud computing bo...
May. 25, 2015 08:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,343
Every day we read jaw-dropping stats on the explosion of data. We allocate significant resources to harness and better understand it. We build businesses around it. But we’ve only just begun. For big payoffs in Big Data, CIOs are turning to cognitive computing. Cognitive computing’s ability to securely extract insights, understand natural language, and get smarter each time it’s used is the next, logical step for Big Data.
May. 25, 2015 08:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,844
There's no doubt that the Internet of Things is driving the next wave of innovation. Google has spent billions over the past few months vacuuming up companies that specialize in smart appliances and machine learning. Already, Philips light bulbs, Audi automobiles, and Samsung washers and dryers can communicate with and be controlled from mobile devices. To take advantage of the opportunities the Internet of Things brings to your business, you'll want to start preparing now.
May. 25, 2015 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 5,677
The 4th International Internet of @ThingsExpo, co-located with the 17th International Cloud Expo - to be held November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA - announces that its Call for Papers is open. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the biggest idea since the creation of the Worldwide Web more than 20 years ago.
May. 25, 2015 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,497
Enterprises are fast realizing the importance of integrating SaaS/Cloud applications, API and on-premises data and processes, to unleash hidden value. This webinar explores how managers can use a Microservice-centric approach to aggressively tackle the unexpected new integration challenges posed by proliferation of cloud, mobile, social and big data projects. Industry analyst and SOA expert Jason Bloomberg will strip away the hype from microservices, and clearly identify their advantages and d...
May. 25, 2015 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,297
In a world of ever-accelerating business cycles and fast-changing client expectations, the cloud increasingly serves as a growth engine and a path to new business models. Dynamic clouds enable businesses to continuously reinvent themselves, adapting their business processes, their service and software delivery and their operations to achieve speed-to-market and quick response to customer feedback. As the cloud evolves, the industry has multiple competing cloud technologies, offering on-premises ...
May. 25, 2015 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,934
The 5th International DevOps Summit, co-located with 17th International Cloud Expo – being held November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA – announces that its Call for Papers is open. Born out of proven success in agile development, cloud computing, and process automation, DevOps is a macro trend you cannot afford to miss. From showcase success stories from early adopters and web-scale businesses, DevOps is expanding to organizations of all sizes, including the...
May. 25, 2015 05:30 PM EDT Reads: 3,917
Over the years, a variety of methodologies have emerged in order to overcome the challenges related to project constraints. The successful use of each methodology seems highly context-dependent. However, communication seems to be the common denominator of the many challenges that project management methodologies intend to resolve. In this respect, Information and Communication Technologies (ICTs) can be viewed as powerful tools for managing projects. Few research papers have focused on the way...
May. 25, 2015 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,655
As the world moves from DevOps to NoOps, application deployment to the cloud ought to become a lot simpler. However, applications have been architected with a much tighter coupling than it needs to be which makes deployment in different environments and migration between them harder. The microservices architecture, which is the basis of many new age distributed systems such as OpenStack, Netflix and so on is at the heart of CloudFoundry – a complete developer-oriented Platform as a Service (PaaS...
May. 25, 2015 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,529
In high-production environments where release cycles are measured in hours or minutes — not days or weeks — there's little room for mistakes and no room for confusion. Everyone has to understand what's happening, in real time, and have the means to do whatever is necessary to keep applications up and running optimally. DevOps is a high-stakes world, but done well, it delivers the agility and performance to significantly impact business competitiveness.
May. 25, 2015 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,810
The OpenStack cloud operating system includes Trove, a database abstraction layer. Rather than applications connecting directly to a specific type of database, they connect to Trove, which in turn connects to one or more specific databases. One target database is Postgres Plus Cloud Database, which includes its own RESTful API. Trove was originally developed around MySQL, whose interfaces are significantly less complicated than those of the Postgres cloud database. In his session at 16th Cloud...
May. 25, 2015 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,011
SAP is delivering break-through innovation combined with fantastic user experience powered by the market-leading in-memory technology, SAP HANA. In his General Session at 15th Cloud Expo, Thorsten Leiduck, VP ISVs & Digital Commerce, SAP, discussed how SAP and partners provide cloud and hybrid cloud solutions as well as real-time Big Data offerings that help companies of all sizes and industries run better. SAP launched an application challenge to award the most innovative SAP HANA and SAP HANA...
May. 25, 2015 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,018
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo in Silicon Valley. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be! Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place Nov 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 17th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading in...
May. 25, 2015 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,424