|By PR Newswire||
|August 25, 2014 10:49 AM EDT||
WALTHAM, Mass., Aug. 25, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- IMN, the digital marketing company that delivers branded newsletters and content for vertical markets, today unveiled the results of its third annual multi-industry content marketing survey. IMN polled marketers to better understand the current state of their content marketing programs and how those programs fit into their overarching marketing strategies.
The results revealed that while 76 percent of marketers classify content marketing as a medium or high priority in their overall marketing plan, nearly 40 percent are still dedicating less than 10 percent of the marketing budget to it. As a result of these shoestring budgets, content marketing programs are suffering—46 percent of respondents feel that their content is OK, but leaves room for improvement to position their company as an industry thought leader.
"The majority of organizations surveyed see content marketing as an important business tool to build awareness and establish credibility," said Steve Henning, senior director at IMN. "But, the survey also highlighted a troubling trend for marketers – shoestring budgets and ad-hoc approaches continue to constrain content marketing efforts. This is problematic for marketers charged with effectively reaching prospects and customers and positioning their company as a thought leader."
Additional key survey findings include:
- Marketers are adapting content for use across a variety of channels without having channel-specific strategies in place. Nearly 80 percent of marketers are adapting content for use across a variety of channels, yet almost 60 percent don't have separate content strategies for each channel. For those with channel-specific strategies, they were most often in place for email (93 percent), corporate websites (93 percent), social media (86 percent) and newsletters (71 percent).
- Approximately one third of content marketers are "winging it." For 30 percent of respondents, content marketing is an ad-hoc effort with no formal program in place. One third of respondents either don't measure the ROI of their program at all, or don't know whether the return justifies the investment. Additionally, 60 percent of marketers aren't using an editorial calendar.
- Content marketing goals change, but challenges remain the same. This year, respondents cited the primary goal of content marketing to be awareness, whereas in 2013, increased leads was the main objective. Finding and sourcing engaging content was cited in both years as the primary challenge in implementing a content marketing strategy.
- Newsletters are increasingly cited as one of the most effective content marketing vehicles. Sixty percent of respondents cited newsletters to be one of the most effective content marketing vehicles to date (up from 42 percent of respondents last year). Three quarters of respondents use content in a newsletter that is sent to customers and prospects and 60 percent of respondents that distribute newsletters send them monthly.
Broken down by specific industries, the survey results revealed the following trends:
- Marketers in the automotive industry have more formal content marketing programs than other industries; however, resource constraints are a bigger problem than in other verticals. More than 45 percent of automotive marketers cited resources as their primary challenge, compared with 23 percent of overall respondents. Automotive marketers also use newsletters more than other industries—92 percent of respondents use content in a newsletter (compared with 75 percent overall).
- The banking and financial services industry is the only vertical that uses open rates for email blasts as the primary measure of success for the content marketing program. Given the regulations this vertical needs to comply with, nearly half of respondents worry about trademark, copyright and citation issues arising, and, as a result, 38 percent of respondents have outsourced content marketing efforts.
To request the detailed survey report, visit the IMN website (click here).
iMakeNews, Inc. (IMN) is the digital marketing company that delivers branded newsletters and custom content for the automotive, direct selling, banking and financial services, and franchise industries. For more information, visit imninc.com, follow on Twitter @loyaltydriver, or connect on the IMN Facebook page.
SOURCE iMakeNews, Inc.
The cloud is becoming the de-facto way for enterprises to leverage common infrastructure while innovating and one of the biggest obstacles facing public cloud computing is security. In his session at 15th Cloud Expo, Jeff Aliber, a global marketing executive at Verizon, discussed how the best place for web security is in the cloud. Benefits include: Functions as the first layer of defense Easy operation –CNAME change Implement an integrated solution Best architecture for addressing network-l...
Dec. 20, 2014 05:00 AM EST Reads: 1,247
SYS-CON Events announced today Isomorphic Software, the global leader in high-end, web-based business applications, will exhibit at SYS-CON's DevOps Summit 2015 New York, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Isomorphic Software is the global leader in high-end, web-based business applications. We develop, market, and support the SmartClient & Smart GWT HTML5/Ajax platform, combining the productivity and performance of traditional desktop software ...
Dec. 20, 2014 04:00 AM EST Reads: 887
The BPM world is going through some evolution or changes where traditional business process management solutions really have nowhere to go in terms of development of the road map. In this demo at 15th Cloud Expo, Kyle Hansen, Director of Professional Services at AgilePoint, shows AgilePoint’s unique approach to dealing with this market circumstance by developing a rapid application composition or development framework.
Dec. 20, 2014 03:00 AM EST Reads: 928
“We help people build clusters, in the classical sense of the cluster. We help people put a full stack on top of every single one of those machines. We do the full bare metal install," explained Greg Bruno, Vice President of Engineering and co-founder of StackIQ, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 15th Cloud Expo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 19, 2014 11:45 PM EST Reads: 1,252
AppZero has announced that its award-winning application migration software is now fully qualified within the Microsoft Azure Certified program. AppZero has undergone extensive technical evaluation with Microsoft Corp., earning its designation as Microsoft Azure Certified. As a result of AppZero's work with Microsoft, customers are able to easily find, purchase and deploy AppZero from the Azure Marketplace. With just a few clicks, users have an Azure-based solution for moving applications to the...
Dec. 19, 2014 08:00 PM EST Reads: 852
“In the past year we've seen a lot of stabilization of WebRTC. You can now use it in production with a far greater degree of certainty. A lot of the real developments in the past year have been in things like the data channel, which will enable a whole new type of application," explained Peter Dunkley, Technical Director at Acision, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 19, 2014 06:00 PM EST Reads: 1,221
The major cloud platforms defy a simple, side-by-side analysis. Each of the major IaaS public-cloud platforms offers their own unique strengths and functionality. Options for on-site private cloud are diverse as well, and must be designed and deployed while taking existing legacy architecture and infrastructure into account. Then the reality is that most enterprises are embarking on a hybrid cloud strategy and programs. In this Power Panel at 15th Cloud Expo (http://www.CloudComputingExpo.com...
Dec. 19, 2014 11:30 AM EST Reads: 2,319
"BSQUARE is in the business of selling software solutions for smart connected devices. It's obvious that IoT has moved from being a technology to being a fundamental part of business, and in the last 18 months people have said let's figure out how to do it and let's put some focus on it, " explained Dave Wagstaff, VP & Chief Architect, at BSQUARE Corporation, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held Nov 4-6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 19, 2014 11:00 AM EST Reads: 1,878
The move in recent years to cloud computing services and architectures has added significant pace to the application development and deployment environment. When enterprise IT can spin up large computing instances in just minutes, developers can also design and deploy in small time frames that were unimaginable a few years ago. The consequent move toward lean, agile, and fast development leads to the need for the development and operations sides to work very closely together. Thus, DevOps become...
Dec. 19, 2014 10:00 AM EST Reads: 1,979
SYS-CON Media announced today that Aruna Ravichandran, VP of Marketing, Application Performance Management and DevOps at CA Technologies, has joined DevOps Journal’s authors. DevOps Journal is focused on this critical enterprise IT topic in the world of cloud computing. DevOps Journal brings valuable information to DevOps professionals who are transforming the way enterprise IT is done. Aruna's inaugural article "Four Essential Cultural Hacks for DevOps Newbies" discusses how to demonstrate the...
Dec. 19, 2014 10:00 AM EST Reads: 1,697
"Our premise is Docker is not enough. That's not a bad thing - we actually love Docker. At ActiveState all our products are based on open source technology and Docker is an up-and-coming piece of open source technology," explained Bart Copeland, President & CEO of ActiveState Software, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at DevOps Summit at Cloud Expo®, held Nov 4-6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 19, 2014 09:00 AM EST Reads: 1,901
Verizon Enterprise Solutions is simplifying the cloud-purchasing experience for its clients, with the launch of Verizon Cloud Marketplace, a key foundational component of the company's robust ecosystem of enterprise-class technologies. The online storefront will initially feature pre-built cloud-based services from AppDynamics, Hitachi Data Systems, Juniper Networks, PfSense and Tervela. Available globally to enterprises using Verizon Cloud, Verizon Cloud Marketplace provides a one-stop shop fo...
Dec. 19, 2014 08:00 AM EST Reads: 1,890
SYS-CON Events announced today that Windstream, a leading provider of advanced network and cloud communications, has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9–11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York, NY. Windstream (Nasdaq: WIN), a FORTUNE 500 and S&P 500 company, is a leading provider of advanced network communications, including cloud computing and managed services, to businesses nationwide. The company also offers broadband, p...
Dec. 19, 2014 07:00 AM EST Reads: 2,188
The Internet of Things is not new. Historically, smart businesses have used its basic concept of leveraging data to drive better decision making and have capitalized on those insights to realize additional revenue opportunities. So, what has changed to make the Internet of Things one of the hottest topics in tech? In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Gray, Director, Embedded and Internet of Things, discussed the underlying factors that are driving the economics of intelligent systems. Discover ...
Dec. 19, 2014 06:30 AM EST Reads: 2,187
ARMONK, N.Y., Nov. 20, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- IBM (NYSE: IBM) today announced that it is bringing a greater level of control, security and flexibility to cloud-based application development and delivery with a single-tenant version of Bluemix, IBM's