|By Marketwired .||
|August 26, 2014 05:10 PM EDT||
PORTLAND, OR -- (Marketwired) -- 08/26/14 --
PhoCusWright survey highlights the online research and booking tendencies of travelers:
- Consumers use an average of 6.5 sites and devices to research before booking travel
- 41 percent of travelers research travel using mobile devices (smartphone or tablet)
- 55 percent of travelers prefer to book using a desktop or laptop even if they research using mobile
Given the number of steps involved in today's average travel purchase, online booking sites are faced with serious challenges when it comes to understanding customers. In a recent travel survey sponsored by Webtrends and conducted by PhoCusWright, travelers who have taken at least one leisure trip within the past year (involving a hotel or airline purchase) were asked to identify the number of touch points that led to their purchase. Touch points are defined as both sites visited and devices used during the booking process. Survey findings include:
- Travelers search multiple web sources when preparing to book trips, and the preference is overwhelmingly in favor of using desktops -- 79 percent of travelers use online travel agencies/apps for research compared to 14 percent who use smartphones and 11 percent who use tablets.
- Frequent travelers (6+ trips/year), big spenders (spend $6000/annually on travel), early tech adopters and mobile travel shoppers use more touch points than the mean, indicating that these travelers do more research than average before booking.
- Consumers aged 25-34 represent the most mobile-heavy shoppers, making up 38 percent of the total users who book through mobile. As consumers age, the number of touch points used to book travel decreases, identifying a key opportunity for sites to capture market share within that age demographic.
- Top reasons travelers give for not booking via mobile devices are that they prefer to book via desktop/laptop (55 percent), the mobile screen is too small (31 percent), not ready to book when shopping on a mobile device (30 percent), and they are not comfortable booking via a mobile device (26 percent).
Travel booking sites have an opportunity to increase conversions and customer loyalty by providing a personalized, easy-to-use experience for customers who are using multiple devices. The following are five digital best practices suggested by Webtrends to help travel booking sites better understand their consumers and better focus their marketing spend:
1. Discover what matters to each individual traveler. In order to deliver relevant and personalized experiences to visitors, travel sites must take a sophisticated approach to the digital booking process by knowing each visitor on an individual basis. This allows brands to create the most relevant user experiences. By leveraging visitor-level measurement and optimization tools, brands can personally assist each traveler with his or her search and avoid the risk of that visitor booking elsewhere.
2. Understand travelers across their entire journey and on all devices. While you can't control how consumers interact with your site, you can learn from that interaction -- and learn to read between the channels. It's not just about what a consumer did on a website or a mobile device, it's about the journey and interaction between devices. For example, research may be done on a smartphone, but the user may ultimately book using a tablet. By painting a cumulative picture of consumers that includes both action and intent, brands can understand cross-channel flows and make informed decisions on where to invest both effort and spend.
3. Test everything across all channels. Whether it is flight/hotel booked or Average Order Value, metrics are essential to the travel industry. Constantly testing and measuring results allows brands to improve the booking experience and drive up KPIs -- ensuring brands get the most yield for every dollar spent on marketing optimization programs. Evaluate your campaigns constantly and make adjustments regularly to see which messages result in the greatest return. Brands should continue to evolve the booking process because there isn't a one-time fix. Channels should evolve depending on season, visitor demographics, travel pricing and other criteria.
4. Take immediate action. Every traveler has a purpose when visiting a site and historical data only tells part of that story. Real-time data is the clearest indicator of current intent, and using those in-the-moment insights to see what travelers are searching for and clicking on is the best way for brands to provide a relevant experience while the traveler is still engaged, regardless of channel or device. By reaching out to a visitor while that person is still thinking about the purchase, whether it's through a pop up ad, an email immediately after he's left the site or an offer for a lower fare, conversion becomes increasingly more likely.
5. Leverage technology that plays well with others. Booking sites must have the flexibility to change and adapt in order to improve experiences for travelers across digital channels. When selecting tools, make sure you are leveraging technologies that are compatible and open. Otherwise, you may be forced to make compromises in your strategy in order to conform to a closed system.
Michael Wilson, Senior Director of Product Strategy, Webtrends
"Booking sites are challenged to meet customer needs on every step of the journey -- from the first interaction all the way to the final booking of the trip. Since travelers often do research on many sites while using multiple devices, it is imperative for travel sites to get the experience right the first time by connecting the dots between channels. This includes understanding how consumers use both mobile and desktop. By understanding consumers on a real time, visitor level, booking sites can determine immediate intent and offer the most personalized, relevant experience. That experience adds up to increased bookings, higher order values and, best of all, site loyalty."
- Playbook: Webtrends for Travel
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/Webtrends
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/webtrends
- Webtrends Blog: A Travel Buyer's Journey
The Webtrends Portfolio of Solutions
- Digital Analytics: Multi-channel digital measurement that provides a unified view of customer interactions with your brand
- Audience Segmentation: Quickly identify and create customer segments based on characteristics and behaviors, making it easy to create effective marketing programs targeted to the right people
- Data Delivery: Delivers rich data on each individual visitor at the very moment he or she interacts with your brand online, so that you can offer a personalized digital experience
- Search & Social Marketing: Search and social campaign optimization to drive the right traffic to your digital properties
- A/B & Multivariate Testing: Digital testing that identifies optimal online content to increase customer engagement and drive conversions
- Targeting & Personalization: In-the-moment, highly personalized content targeting based on in-session behaviors
- Behavioral Remarketing: Instant access to in-session visitor-level data so that you can send the exact right email message at the exact right time through your email provider
Webtrends helps companies make sense of their customer data to drive digital marketing success. By combining innovative technology with our team of trusted and creative advisors, our solutions are designed to provide actionable insights, increase customer engagement and boost revenue.
We partner with companies at all levels of digital maturity and offer solutions in analytics, audience segmentation, streaming data delivery, remarketing, online testing and targeting, as well as search and social marketing. We work closely with approximately 2,000 global brands including Microsoft, KLM Royal Dutch Airlines, Kimberly-Clark, HSBC, Marks & Spencer, npower, BMW, Toyota, The Telegraph, Lastminute.com, Mindjet and many more.
SYS-CON Events announced today that robomq.io will exhibit at SYS-CON's @ThingsExpo, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. robomq.io is an interoperable and composable platform that connects any device to any application. It helps systems integrators and the solution providers build new and innovative products and service for industries requiring monitoring or intelligence from devices and sensors.
Apr. 1, 2015 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,617
The 17th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. 17th International Cloud Expo, to be held November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, APM, APIs, Microservices, Security, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding bu...
Apr. 1, 2015 05:15 PM EDT Reads: 577
Today, IT is not just a cost center. IT is an enabler and driver of business. With the emergence of the hybrid cloud paradigm, IT now has increasingly more capabilities to create new strategic opportunities for a business. Hybrid cloud allows an organization to utilize multi-tenant public clouds, dedicated private clouds, bare metal hosting, and the associated support and services for the right use cases through an on-demand, XaaS model. This model of IT creates tremendous opportunities for busi...
Apr. 1, 2015 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,479
Business as usual for IT is evolving into a “Make or Buy” decision on a service-by-service conversation with input from the LOBs. How does your organization move forward with cloud? In his general session at 16th Cloud Expo, Paul Maravei, Regional Sales Manager, Hybrid Cloud and Managed Services at Cisco, discusses how Cisco and its partners offer a market-leading portfolio and ecosystem of cloud infrastructure and application services that allow you to uniquely and securely combine cloud busi...
Apr. 1, 2015 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,659
SYS-CON Events announced today that Litmus Automation will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Litmus Automation’s vision is to provide a solution for companies that are in a rush to embrace the disruptive Internet of Things technology and leverage it for real business challenges. Litmus Automation simplifies the complexity of connected devices applications with Loop, a secure and scalable clou...
Apr. 1, 2015 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 794
Businesses are looking to empower employees and departments to do more, go faster, and streamline their processes. For all workers – but mobile workers especially – utilizing the cloud to reconnect documents and improve processes without destructing existing workflows can have a dramatic impact on productivity. In his session at 16th Cloud Expo, Mark Grilli, vice president of Acrobat Solutions marketing at Adobe Systems Incorporated, will outline new ways that the cloud is changing the way peo...
Apr. 1, 2015 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,456
With the arrival of the Big Data revolution, a data professional is expected to master a broad spectrum of complex domains including data processing, mathematics, programming languages, machine learning techniques, and business knowledge. While this mastery is undoubtedly important, this narrow focus on tool usage has divorced many from the imagination required to solve real-world problems. As the demand for analysis increases, the data science community must transform from tool experts to "data...
Apr. 1, 2015 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 846
As Marc Andreessen says software is eating the world. Everything is rapidly moving toward being software-defined – from our phones and cars through our washing machines to the datacenter. However, there are larger challenges when implementing software defined on a larger scale - when building software defined infrastructure. In his session at 16th Cloud Expo, Boyan Ivanov, CEO of StorPool, will provide some practical insights on what, how and why when implementing "software-defined" in the dat...
Apr. 1, 2015 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 597
While not quite mainstream yet, WebRTC is starting to gain ground with Carriers, Enterprises and Independent Software Vendors (ISV’s) alike. WebRTC makes it easy for developers to add audio and video communications into their applications by using Web browsers as their platform. But like any market, every customer engagement has unique requirements, as well as constraints. And of course, one size does not fit all. In her session at WebRTC Summit, Dr. Natasha Tamaskar, Vice President, Head of C...
Apr. 1, 2015 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 693
SYS-CON Events announced today that Emcien will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Emcien’s vision is to let anyone use data to know the future. Emcien has built an automated, predictive analysis product that improves the lives of real people. Emcien allows people to automate their data analysis so they can build a better future.
Apr. 1, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 864
SYS-CON Events announced today that Solgenia will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Solgenia is the global market leader in Cloud Collaboration and Cloud Infrastructure software solutions. Designed to “Bridge the Gap” between Personal and Professional S...
Apr. 1, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,105
WSM International has launched a DevOps services division that offers assessment, consulting and implementation to large enterprises and organizations with complex infrastructures. The concept of DevOps is to blend information technology (IT) software development with operations to optimize the computing infrastructure according to the specific needs of the organization. According to a recent press release from Gartner, "By 2016, DevOps will evolve from a niche strategy employed by large cloud ...
Apr. 1, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,480
SYS-CON Events announced today that QTS Realty Trust, one of the nation’s largest and fastest-growing providers of data center facilities and cloud services and a leader in security and compliance, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. QTS Realty Trust, Inc. (NYSE: QTS) is a leading national provider of data center solutions and fully managed services, and a leader in security and compliance...
Apr. 1, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,422
SYS-CON Events announced today that WSM International (WSM), the world’s leading cloud and server migration services provider, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. WSM is a solutions integrator with a core focus on cloud and server migration, transformation and DevOps services.
Apr. 1, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,461
SYS-CON Events announced today that MangoApps will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY., and the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. MangoApps provides private all-in-one social intranets allowing workers to securely collaborate from anywhere in the world and from any device. Social, mobile, and eas...
Apr. 1, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,278