|By PR Newswire||
|August 27, 2014 01:00 PM EDT|
BURLINGTON, Mass., Aug. 27, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Decision Resources Group finds that physicians surveyed across six different specialties (medical oncology, hematology-oncology, rheumatology, gastroenterology, endocrinology and nephrology) expect the robustness and number of clinical trials that a biosimilar has been assessed in to be the strongest influencers of which biosimilar product they choose to prescribe.
Other key findings from the Biosimilars Advisory Service report entitled Acceptance of Biosimilars Across Physician Specialties:
- Preferred biosimilars: The majority of surveyed European oncologists and nephrologists that prescribe biosimilars have a preferred biosimilar product, and that preference is driven by which manufacturer they trust most.
- Greater trust in large biotech companies as biosimilar manufacturers: Surveyed physicians currently place greater trust in large biotech companies such as Amgen than small-molecule generics companies as manufacturers of biosimilars.
- Uptake of biosimilars: Physician responses across a broad range of survey questions highlight the degree to which biosimilar uptake will vary by country, therapeutic specialty and molecular complexity.
Comments from Decision Resources Group Senior Director Kate Keeping:
- "Although physicians expect to be able to differentiate biosimilars based on the strength of clinical data, this is rarely the case with currently available biosimilars. Less than one-third of surveyed biosimilar prescribers indicated that their prescribing decision was made on a belief that the biosimilar had the best clinical data."
- "We expect the uptake of biosimilars to vary across physician specialties. For example, a greater proportion of oncologists indicate that they are more willing to use biosimilar recombinant proteins in many or all of their patients following launch than endocrinologists."
About Decision Resources Group
Decision Resources Group offers best-in-class, high-value information and insights on critical issues within the healthcare industry. Clients rely on this analysis and data to make informed decisions. Find out more at www.DecisionResourcesGroup.com.
All company, brand, or product names contained in this document may be trademarks or
registered trademarks of their respective holders.
For more information, contact:
Decision Resources Group
SOURCE Decision Resources Group