|By PR Newswire||
|August 28, 2014 10:00 AM EDT||
DAYTON, Ohio, Aug. 28, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Teradata Corp. (NYSE: TDC), the analytic data platforms, marketing applications and services company, announced winners of its 2014 International Scholarships and its National Merit Scholarships. Given through the company's Teradata Cares program of community philanthropy and involvement, these college grants are given in recognition of students' academic achievements and significant contributions to their communities.
"We're recognizing the next generation of leaders and celebrate their scholastic achievement and spirit of community through our financial support," said Sherri Morgan, director of community relations, Teradata.
Given in support of intellectually talented youth, this year's International Scholars are:
- Taylah Beard of Sydney, Australia. Sheplans to major in chemical engineering at the University of Sydney. Beard is a black belt in martial arts and has played softball for the past seven years. She has earned high distinction for her academic record and she plays clarinet for her school band. Beard is the daughter of Teradata pre-sales consultant Graham Beard.
- Joshua Hunt of London, UK. Heplans to attend the University of Nottingham and major in history. Hunt is a member of his school Rugby Academy, and he runs and plays football. He is also a singer, pianist and guitarist. Hunt is the son of Teradata senior business consultant James Hunt.
- Zheng Zhe Koh of Selangor, Malaysia. Heplans to major in electrical and electronic engineering at the Imperial College London. Koh is a delegate to the Supreme Court for the Harvard Model Congress Asia 2014, Hong Kong. He achieved all A+ marks in his Cambridge A-level examinations and works as a volunteer for US universities' application workshops. Koh is the son of Teradata project manager Meng Seng Koh.
National Merit Scholars
To compete for National Merit Scholarship awards, students must earn a qualifying score in the Preliminary SAT/National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test (PSAT/NMSQT®), and then fulfill additional requirements. Each student submitted an essay, earned an outstanding academic record, was active in extracurricular school and community activities, was endorsed and recommended by a high school official, and earn SAT scores that confirmed the qualifying test performance. Students who earned 2014 National Merit Scholarships from Teradata are:
- Allison Bell, Mount Carmel High School, San Diego, CA. She was a member of the Mount Carmel High School Swim and Cross Country teams. Bell also studies piano worked as an intern at the Pet Hospital of Penasquitos. She plans to major in Environmental Science at UCLA. Bell is the daughter of Teradata engineer Tom Bell.
- Mackenzie Lighterink, Canyon Crest Academy, San Diego, CA. Lighterink played soccer throughout high school, participating in the school's EVA Conservatory fine arts program and volunteered as a junior lifeguard aide for the city of Encinitas. She earned first place in the Science Essay Competition held by COSMOS at University of California, San Diego. She plans to study neuroscience and psychology at the University of California, Los Angeles. Lighterink is the daughter of Teradata hardware engineers Paul Lighterink and Sandy Stewart.
- Dingxiang Luo, Newport High School, Bellevue, WA. He spends time volunteering in several community activities and plans to study biology at the University of Washington. Luo is the son of software engineer Xiaorong Luo.
- Eric (John) Simerlink, Walnut Hills High School, Cincinnati, OH. He served as president of a Campus Ministry Group and was founder of his high school business and technology club. He has also served as the Web and Mobile Projects Director for the INTERalliance of Greater Cincinnati. Simerlink will major in electrical engineering at Ohio State University. He is the son of Teradata senior business value consultant Dan Simerlink.
Registration is now open for the 2016 National Merit Scholarship program, for employees with high school juniors in the 2014-2015 school year. Registration is also open for the 2015 International Scholarship program for international employees with students completing secondary school and entering university in 2015.
Teradata (NYSE: TDC), a global leader in analytic data platforms, marketing applications, and consulting services, helps organizations become more competitive by increasing the value of their data and customer relationships. Visit Teradata.com for details.
Get to know Teradata:
Teradata and the Teradata logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Teradata Corporation and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and worldwide. PSAT/NMSQT® is a registered trademark of the College Board and National Merit Scholarship Corporation.
Docker offers a new, lightweight approach to application portability. Applications are shipped using a common container format and managed with a high-level API. Their processes run within isolated namespaces that abstract the operating environment independently of the distribution, versions, network setup, and other details of this environment. This "containerization" has often been nicknamed "the new virtualization." But containers are more than lightweight virtual machines. Beyond their small...
Nov. 22, 2014 12:45 PM EST Reads: 597
An entirely new security model is needed for the Internet of Things, or is it? Can we save some old and tested controls for this new and different environment? In his session at @ThingsExpo, New York's at the Javits Center, Davi Ottenheimer, EMC Senior Director of Trust, reviewed hands-on lessons with IoT devices and reveal a new risk balance you might not expect. Davi Ottenheimer, EMC Senior Director of Trust, has more than nineteen years' experience managing global security operations and asse...
Nov. 22, 2014 12:45 PM EST Reads: 188
The major cloud platforms defy a simple, side-by-side analysis. Each of the major IaaS public-cloud platforms offers their own unique strengths and functionality. Options for on-site private cloud are diverse as well, and must be designed and deployed while taking existing legacy architecture and infrastructure into account. Then the reality is that most enterprises are embarking on a hybrid cloud strategy and programs. In this Power Panel at 15th Cloud Expo (http://www.CloudComputingExpo.com...
Nov. 22, 2014 07:00 AM EST Reads: 1,226
Explosive growth in connected devices. Enormous amounts of data for collection and analysis. Critical use of data for split-second decision making and actionable information. All three are factors in making the Internet of Things a reality. Yet, any one factor would have an IT organization pondering its infrastructure strategy. How should your organization enhance its IT framework to enable an Internet of Things implementation? In his session at Internet of @ThingsExpo, James Kirkland, Chief Ar...
Nov. 21, 2014 09:15 PM EST Reads: 1,104
Leysin American School is an exclusive, private boarding school located in Leysin, Switzerland. Leysin selected an OpenStack-powered, private cloud as a service to manage multiple applications and provide development environments for students across the institution. Seeking to meet rigid data sovereignty and data integrity requirements while offering flexible, on-demand cloud resources to users, Leysin identified OpenStack as the clear choice to round out the school's cloud strategy. Additional...
Nov. 21, 2014 08:45 PM EST Reads: 1,120
Technology is enabling a new approach to collecting and using data. This approach, commonly referred to as the "Internet of Things" (IoT), enables businesses to use real-time data from all sorts of things including machines, devices and sensors to make better decisions, improve customer service, and lower the risk in the creation of new revenue opportunities. In his General Session at Internet of @ThingsExpo, Dave Wagstaff, Vice President and Chief Architect at BSQUARE Corporation, discuss the ...
Nov. 21, 2014 08:00 PM EST Reads: 1,235
The security devil is always in the details of the attack: the ones you've endured, the ones you prepare yourself to fend off, and the ones that, you fear, will catch you completely unaware and defenseless. The Internet of Things (IoT) is nothing if not an endless proliferation of details. It's the vision of a world in which continuous Internet connectivity and addressability is embedded into a growing range of human artifacts, into the natural world, and even into our smartphones, appliances, a...
Nov. 21, 2014 08:00 PM EST Reads: 1,129
SYS-CON Media announced today that Aruna Ravichandran, VP of Marketing, Application Performance Management and DevOps at CA Technologies, has joined DevOps Journal’s authors. DevOps Journal is focused on this critical enterprise IT topic in the world of cloud computing. DevOps Journal brings valuable information to DevOps professionals who are transforming the way enterprise IT is done. Aruna's inaugural article "Four Essential Cultural Hacks for DevOps Newbies" discusses how to demonstrate the...
Nov. 21, 2014 07:00 PM EST Reads: 1,200
"BSQUARE is in the business of selling software solutions for smart connected devices. It's obvious that IoT has moved from being a technology to being a fundamental part of business, and in the last 18 months people have said let's figure out how to do it and let's put some focus on it, " explained Dave Wagstaff, VP & Chief Architect, at BSQUARE Corporation, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held Nov 4-6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Nov. 21, 2014 07:00 PM EST Reads: 1,105
The 4th International DevOps Summit, co-located with16th International Cloud Expo – being held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY – announces that its Call for Papers is now open. Born out of proven success in agile development, cloud computing, and process automation, DevOps is a macro trend you cannot afford to miss. From showcase success stories from early adopters and web-scale businesses, DevOps is expanding to organizations of all sizes, including the world's large...
Nov. 21, 2014 06:45 PM EST Reads: 1,063
Verizon Enterprise Solutions is simplifying the cloud-purchasing experience for its clients, with the launch of Verizon Cloud Marketplace, a key foundational component of the company's robust ecosystem of enterprise-class technologies. The online storefront will initially feature pre-built cloud-based services from AppDynamics, Hitachi Data Systems, Juniper Networks, PfSense and Tervela. Available globally to enterprises using Verizon Cloud, Verizon Cloud Marketplace provides a one-stop shop fo...
Nov. 21, 2014 05:30 PM EST Reads: 1,067
Software-driven innovation is becoming a primary approach to how businesses create and deliver new value to customers. A survey of 400 business and IT executives by the IBM Institute for Business Value showed businesses that are more effective at software delivery are also more profitable than their peers nearly 70 percent of the time (1). DevOps provides a way for businesses to remain competitive, applying lean and agile principles to software development to speed the delivery of software that ...
Nov. 20, 2014 11:45 PM EST Reads: 1,353
ARMONK, N.Y., Nov. 20, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- IBM (NYSE: IBM) today announced that it is bringing a greater level of control, security and flexibility to cloud-based application development and delivery with a single-tenant version of Bluemix, IBM's
"Our premise is Docker is not enough. That's not a bad thing - we actually love Docker. At ActiveState all our products are based on open source technology and Docker is an up-and-coming piece of open source technology," explained Bart Copeland, President & CEO of ActiveState Software, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at DevOps Summit at Cloud Expo®, held Nov 4-6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Nov. 20, 2014 10:30 PM EST Reads: 1,250