|By PR Newswire||
|August 28, 2014 02:22 PM EDT||
SEATTLE, Aug. 28, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Learning the art of goal setting at an early age can be absolutely life changing for a child. That's the driving force behind The 500,000 Children Project, a first-of-its-kind initiative to teach children across America about the importance of goal setting as a tool for success. This unique project brings together educators, students, and sponsors to help schools teach an important life skill by providing free resources that would otherwise have no room in tight school budgets.
Fresh off their start on the crowd-funding site Indiegogo, the organizers are delivering the first 5,000 free goal setting books to public elementary students across 31 states in late August.
The 500,000 Children Project began at the end of 2013 by inviting school districts in 23 states to request books for their elementary students. The organizers hoped to reach 500,000 children. The project caught fire by word of mouth among educators and through social media, and orders for their free goal-setting books soon climbed to 1.1 million. The response from educators has been overwhelming, as evidenced by the dozens of enthusiastic comments the directors have collected on their website, http://www.500000childrenproject.com.
- The books are designed to present the message in a way that entertains children as much as it educates,a in an effort to enhance the learning process. The books combine eye-catching illustration with rhyming verses that teach and inspire children to start setting goals in their lives.
- Each printing will contain bonus material designed to deepen the child's understanding of goals and how they can be used. The content will vary depending on the sponsor. This edition, sponsored by the Indiegogo contributors, features content provided by Wells Fargo about their Hands On Banking® curriculum, a free financial education program, not affiliated with any product, designed with financial education content for all ages. The lessons for kids are a fun and interactive way to help them achieve their financial goals by learning about everything from money and budgeting to savings and credit. Another highlight in this edition is an excerpt from Michael Jordan's book I Can't Accept Not Trying: Michael Jordan On The Pursuit of Excellence where he explains in detail how he used goals to achieve his success.
- "The sooner we empower children with a skill that all successful people use, the better they'll learn to set positive goals in a way that helps them celebrate their potential," commented Dawn Farmer, Co-Director of The 500,000 Children Project. "We see and hear about the life-changing effects this type of thinking can have on our youth, and we're inspired to help provide it."
- Stephen Covey, author of the bestseller, The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People, identifies goal setting as one of the critical skills and characteristics students need to succeed in the 21st century. The 500,000 Children Project couldn't agree more, and has set a goal of teaching all children about this crucial success strategy.
About the 500,000 Children Project:
- The 500,000 Children Project is a unique initiative to teach children about the life-changing skill of goal setting at the earliest age possible, while also benefiting schools with free resources and sponsors with an intimate connection to thousands of families. Goals Learning Institute, Inc., sponsor of The 500,000 Children Project, publishes two books to help educators teach this skill: Aim for the Stars: The Goals Book For Kids and Goals Are For Gals & Goals Are For Guys. The project offers these two books to public elementary schools across the nation for free, funded through sponsorship.
- Started in 2013 by inviting 23 states to participate, The Project currently has requests for 1.1 million of the goals books from the following 31 states: AL, AZ, CA, CO, CT, FL, GA, IL, KY, LA, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MT, NJ, NM, NY, NC, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, TX, UT, VT, VA, WA, WI.
- The balance of states will be invited to participate early next year.
- The Project is now actively seeking sponsors to fulfill the remaining orders.
The 500,000 Children Project
18631 SE 42nd PL
Issaquah, WA 98027
SOURCE Goals Learning Institute, Inc.
The Internet of Things will greatly expand the opportunities for data collection and new business models driven off of that data. In her session at @ThingsExpo, Esmeralda Swartz, CMO of MetraTech, discussed how for this to be effective you not only need to have infrastructure and operational models capable of utilizing this new phenomenon, but increasingly service providers will need to convince a skeptical public to participate. Get ready to show them the money!
Nov. 27, 2014 11:00 AM EST Reads: 1,157
Some developers believe that monitoring is a function of the operations team. Some operations teams firmly believe that monitoring the systems they maintain is sufficient to run the business successfully. Most of them are wrong. The complexity of today's applications have gone far and beyond the capabilities of "traditional" system-level monitoring tools and approaches and requires much broader knowledge of business and applications as a whole. The goal of DevOps is to connect all aspects of app...
Nov. 27, 2014 11:00 AM EST Reads: 575
The 4th International DevOps Summit, co-located with16th International Cloud Expo – being held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY – announces that its Call for Papers is now open. Born out of proven success in agile development, cloud computing, and process automation, DevOps is a macro trend you cannot afford to miss. From showcase success stories from early adopters and web-scale businesses, DevOps is expanding to organizations of all sizes, including the world's large...
Nov. 27, 2014 11:00 AM EST Reads: 1,577
15th Cloud Expo, which took place Nov. 4-6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, expanded the conference content of @ThingsExpo, Big Data Expo, and DevOps Summit to include two developer events. IBM held a Bluemix Developer Playground on November 5 and ElasticBox held a Hackathon on November 6. Both events took place on the expo floor. The Bluemix Developer Playground, for developers of all levels, highlighted the ease of use of Bluemix, its services and functionalit...
Nov. 27, 2014 11:00 AM EST Reads: 718
Want to enable self-service provisioning of application environments in minutes that mirror production? Can you automatically provide rich data with code-level detail back to the developers when issues occur in production? In his session at DevOps Summit, David Tesar, Microsoft Technical Evangelist on Microsoft Azure and DevOps, will discuss how to accomplish this and more utilizing technologies such as Microsoft Azure, Visual Studio online, and Application Insights in this demo-heavy session.
Nov. 27, 2014 10:45 AM EST Reads: 893
When an enterprise builds a hybrid IaaS cloud connecting its data center to one or more public clouds, security is often a major topic along with the other challenges involved. Security is closely intertwined with the networking choices made for the hybrid cloud. Traditional networking approaches for building a hybrid cloud try to kludge together the enterprise infrastructure with the public cloud. Consequently this approach requires risky, deep "surgery" including changes to firewalls, subnets...
Nov. 27, 2014 10:45 AM EST Reads: 865
DevOps is all about agility. However, you don't want to be on a high-speed bus to nowhere. The right DevOps approach controls velocity with a tight feedback loop that not only consists of operational data but also incorporates business context. With a business context in the decision making, the right business priorities are incorporated, which results in a higher value creation. In his session at DevOps Summit, Todd Rader, Solutions Architect at AppDynamics, discussed key monitoring techniques...
Nov. 27, 2014 10:30 AM EST Reads: 872
SYS-CON Media announced that Centrify, a provider of unified identity management across cloud, mobile and data center environments that delivers single sign-on (SSO) for users and a simplified identity infrastructure for IT, has launched an ad campaign on Cloud Computing Journal. The ads focus on security: how an organization can successfully control privilege for all of the organization’s identities to mitigate identity-related risk without slowing down the business, and how Centrify provides ...
Nov. 27, 2014 10:00 AM EST Reads: 1,253
The Internet of Things will put IT to its ultimate test by creating infinite new opportunities to digitize products and services, generate and analyze new data to improve customer satisfaction, and discover new ways to gain a competitive advantage across nearly every industry. In order to help corporate business units to capitalize on the rapidly evolving IoT opportunities, IT must stand up to a new set of challenges. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Jeff Kaplan, Managing Director of THINKstrateg...
Nov. 27, 2014 10:00 AM EST Reads: 1,127
"We help companies that are using a lot of Software as a Service. We help companies manage and gain visibility into what people are using inside the company and decide to secure them or use standards to lock down or to embrace the adoption of SaaS inside the company," explained Scott Kriz, Co-founder and CEO of Bitium, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 15th Cloud Expo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Nov. 27, 2014 08:45 AM EST Reads: 1,179
"SAP had made a big transition into the cloud as we believe it has significant value for our customers, drives innovation and is easy to consume. When you look at the SAP portfolio, SAP HANA is the underlying platform and it powers all of our platforms and all of our analytics," explained Thorsten Leiduck, VP ISVs & Digital Commerce at SAP, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 15th Cloud Expo, held Nov 4-6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Nov. 27, 2014 08:15 AM EST Reads: 1,236
One of the biggest challenges when developing connected devices is identifying user value and delivering it through successful user experiences. In his session at Internet of @ThingsExpo, Mike Kuniavsky, Principal Scientist, Innovation Services at PARC, described an IoT-specific approach to user experience design that combines approaches from interaction design, industrial design and service design to create experiences that go beyond simple connected gadgets to create lasting, multi-device exp...
Nov. 27, 2014 08:00 AM EST Reads: 1,114
SAP is delivering break-through innovation combined with fantastic user experience powered by the market-leading in-memory technology, SAP HANA. In his General Session at 15th Cloud Expo, Thorsten Leiduck, VP ISVs & Digital Commerce, SAP, discussed how SAP and partners provide cloud and hybrid cloud solutions as well as real-time Big Data offerings that help companies of all sizes and industries run better. SAP launched an application challenge to award the most innovative SAP HANA and SAP HANA...
Nov. 27, 2014 08:00 AM EST Reads: 1,190
Enthusiasm for the Internet of Things has reached an all-time high. In 2013 alone, venture capitalists spent more than $1 billion dollars investing in the IoT space. With "smart" appliances and devices, IoT covers wearable smart devices, cloud services to hardware companies. Nest, a Google company, detects temperatures inside homes and automatically adjusts it by tracking its user's habit. These technologies are quickly developing and with it come challenges such as bridging infrastructure gaps,...
Nov. 27, 2014 07:45 AM EST Reads: 1,433
"Cloud consumption is something we envision at Solgenia. That is trying to let the cloud spread to the user as a consumption, as utility computing. We want to allow the people to just pay for what they use, not a subscription model," explained Ermanno Bonifazi, CEO & Founder of Solgenia, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at Cloud Expo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Nov. 27, 2014 07:15 AM EST Reads: 1,043