|By PR Newswire||
|September 3, 2014 05:55 PM EDT||
DALLAS, Sept. 3, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- The Massachusetts Commissioner of Revenue ("Commissioner") established a two-month amnesty program from September 1, 2014 through October 31, 2014, pursuant to authority granted in Section 264 of Chapter 165 of the Acts of 2014.
The Tax Amnesty Program ("Program") applies to tax years or periods listed on a Notice of Assessment issued by the Commissioner on or before July 1, 2014. Only taxpayers that are issued a Tax Amnesty Notice will be eligible for the Program. The Program applies to the following taxpayers and tax types:
- Individuals with existing personal income tax liabilities, existing personal use tax liabilities, existing personal boat/recreational vehicles sales tax liabilities, and existing cigarette excise liabilities (purchases for individual consumption); and
- Taxpayers with the following existing business tax liabilities:
- Sales and/or use tax;
- Meals tax and the local option meals tax;
- Withholding tax;
- Performer withholding tax;
- Pass-through entity withholding tax;
- Lottery annuity withholding tax;
- Room occupancy excise tax and the local option room occupancy excise tax;
- Convention center financing fees on room occupancy in Boston, Cambridge, Chicopee, Springfield, West Springfield, and Worcester;
- Convention center financing surcharge for sightseeing tours;
- Convention center financing surcharge on vehicle rentals in Boston;
- Convention center financing surcharge on parking in Boston, Springfield, and Worcester;
- Deeds excise tax;
- Cigarette excise tax;
- Cigars and smoking tobacco excise tax;
- Club alcohol beverage excise tax;
- Gasoline excise tax;
- Special fuels excise tax and the local option special fuels excise tax.
Following receipt of a Tax Amnesty Notice, eligible taxpayers who make a full payment of all tax and interest due under the Program for a qualifying tax type will be granted amnesty for unpaid penalties associated with such tax type and period. Payment must be received by the Department of Revenue by 5:00 p.m. Eastern Time on October 31, 2014, or postmarked on or before October 31, 2014.
The following taxpayers are not eligible for the Program:
- Taxpayers subject to a tax-related criminal investigation or prosecution;
- Taxpayers that deliver or disclose any false or fraudulent information in connection with the Program;
- Taxpayers who previously signed a settlement agreement with the Commissioner;
- Taxpayers who previously paid tax and interest due under an assessment but are currently disputing penalties under the assessment.
Additional information is provided in the Massachusetts Department of Revenue Technical Information Release 14-8.
Ryan is an award-winning global tax services firm, with the largest indirect and property tax practices in North America and the sixth largest corporate tax practice in the United States. Headquartered in Dallas, Texas, the Firm provides a comprehensive range of state, local, federal, and international tax advisory and consulting services on a multi-jurisdictional basis, including audit defense, tax recovery, credits and incentives, tax process improvement and automation, tax appeals, tax compliance, and strategic planning. Ryan is a three-time recipient of the International Service Excellence Award from the Customer Service Institute of America (CSIA) for its commitment to world-class client service. Empowered by the dynamic myRyan work environment, which is widely recognized as the most innovative in the tax services industry, Ryan's multi-disciplinary team of more than 1,800 professionals and associates serves over 9,000 clients in more than 40 countries, including many of the world's most prominent Global 5000 companies. More information about Ryan can be found at www.ryan.com.
TECHNICAL INFORMATION CONTACT:
Jeremiah T. Lynch
Available Topic Expert(s): For information on the listed expert(s), click
ProfNet - https://profnet.prnewswire.com/Subscriber/ExpertProfile.aspx?ei=113520